You are not logged in.

#1 2022-03-02 22:47:27

Ben Kerin
Director of WNS
Website
Facebook Twitter Instagram

Tony Khan’s MAJOR announcement is... he bought ROH!

Tony Khan, the CEO of All Elite Wrestling (AEW), announced Wednesday that he has acquired Ring of Honor (ROH).

ROH, which has been owned by Sinclair Broadcasting Group since 2011, was launched in 2002. As part of the deal, Khan acquired ROH's extensive video library dating back to 2002.

"This deal adds thousands of hours of content to our rapidly growing library and creates new opportunities to expand our footprint on a national and global scale, while having the potential to produce new content under the ROH banner," Khan's statement read.

More here:

More Details On Tony Khan Purchasing Ring Of Honor
https://www.wrestlingnewssource.com/new … -Of-Honor/

Backstage News On Tony Khan Purchasing ROH, Who Knew?, WWE Reaction and More
https://www.wrestlingnewssource.com/new … -Who-Knew/

#2 2022-03-03 10:57:07

RyanP

Re: Tony Khan’s MAJOR announcement is... he bought ROH!

Legit question. Does anyone actually see Khan running a weekly ROH show or was this more about the tape library and the ROH brand name? I could see a couple of ROH oriented special shows but a weekly show? I just don’t see it especially with all of the ROH talent being released from their contracts at the end of last year. I hope Khan does right by ROH but I personally don’t see this as anything more than the acquisition of a tape library and a brand name that appeals to his hardcore wrestling fans. Nobody outside of the hardcore wrestling fans are going to even know what ROH is or even care so how does he plan on drawing in new viewers outside of that hardcore wrestling fan bubble? Khan has some questions to answer in the hopefully near future and I hope the answers are what the fans want to hear.

#3 2022-03-07 22:00:59

Majin Tween
Administrator
Website

Re: Tony Khan’s MAJOR announcement is... he bought ROH!

RyanP wrote:

Legit question. Does anyone actually see Khan running a weekly ROH show or was this more about the tape library and the ROH brand name? I could see a couple of ROH oriented special shows but a weekly show? I just don’t see it especially with all of the ROH talent being released from their contracts at the end of last year. I hope Khan does right by ROH but I personally don’t see this as anything more than the acquisition of a tape library and a brand name that appeals to his hardcore wrestling fans. Nobody outside of the hardcore wrestling fans are going to even know what ROH is or even care so how does he plan on drawing in new viewers outside of that hardcore wrestling fan bubble? Khan has some questions to answer in the hopefully near future and I hope the answers are what the fans want to hear.

I would imagine that he'd give it to someone else to run, and turn it into a pseudo-developmental. The way they were talking about ROH during Revolution last night was like it was a stomping grounds that trains you in an honorable wrestling discipline, so that's probably what they're conditioning fans to expect. Just a guess though.

Board footer