You are not logged in.

#1 2022-02-15 12:01:23

Tommy

Cody Rhodes returning to WWE!?

With the AEW departure meaning he's likely signing with WWE if he hasn't already how would you book his return? Do you bring him back before Mania and if so who do you book him against? Since Stone Cold is rumored to be wrestling at Mania meaning he'll likely be around for build up before the match do you just hold off on Cody for the night after WrestleMania Raw since they like having returns and debuts on that show?

#2 2022-02-15 12:45:28

Ben Kerin
Director of WNS
Website
Facebook Twitter Instagram

Re: Cody Rhodes returning to WWE!?

@WrestleVotes on Twitter: "Spoke to a source just now that fully anticipates WWE coming to an agreement with Cody Rhodes. Unbelievable."

#3 2022-02-15 13:36:55

Y2JFanatic

A Cody Rhodes return to WWE would be awesome 'cause we could really use him with all the talent we have. It's pretty likely Cody's wife, Brandi could get signed a WWE contract as well. They're both coming, I think.

#4 2022-02-15 13:42:10

Y2JFanatic

As far as I think who Cody and Brandi should feud with when they show up, it should be against Triple H and Steph. It be a nice way to bring back Triple H and Steph to WWE television. Cody/Brandi vs. Triple H/Steph in a mixed match at this year's WM? I can totally see it.

Last edited by Y2JFanatic (2022-02-15 13:44:06)

#5 2022-02-15 13:55:53

RyanP

I personally think Brandi is going to be the key to getting Cody to sign with WWE. If they give him the big money he wants and give Brandi an opportunity at an in-ring career then I think he goes back to WWE. One thing fans need to keep in mind before they start criticizing his decision is that the wrestlers are going to do what’s best for them and their families which may or may not lineup with what the fans want him to do.

#6 2022-02-15 14:00:37

Y2JFanatic

Chances are I think Cody will return as the Stardust character with the makeup and all. That was the character he was before he left, right? They'll give Brandi a similar gimmick.

#7 2022-02-15 14:01:24

RyanP

Anybody else think that a Cody Rhodes return to WWE could lead to a forbidden door between WWE and AEW being opened? Highly unlikely I know but just a thought nonetheless.

#8 2022-02-15 14:03:55

RyanP

Y2JFanatic wrote:

Chances are I think Cody will return as the Stardust character with the makeup and all. That was the character he was before he left, right? They'll give Brandi a similar gimmick.

To quote Vince’s theme song there is no chance in hell of him agreeing to come back as Stardust especially with Dustin still being in AEW. The Stardust character in my opinion is one of the main reasons he left WWE in the first place.

#9 2022-02-15 14:05:07

Y2JFanatic

Think about it, why would a Cody vs. Triple H feud make more sense? I mean, Cody took a lot of shots at Triple H at AEW shows in the past so take that for what you will. Storywise, Triple H could confront him about it. Would be a nice storyline!

#10 2022-02-15 14:10:53

RyanP

Y2JFanatic wrote:

Think about it, why would a Cody vs. Triple H feud make more sense? I mean, Cody took a lot of shots at Triple H at AEW shows in the past so take that for what you will. Storywise, Triple H could confront him about it. Would be a nice storyline!

I don’t disagree with you about Cody/Triple H being a good feud but it’s going to come down to whether Triple H can physically go in the ring or not.

#11 2022-02-15 14:21:58

RyanP

If I were booking Cody Rhodes return if he’s medically cleared then Triple H is the obvious return feud for him. Here’s what I would do for a storyline. I would have Triple H tell Cody he has to earn a match against by beating some of his protégés like Tommaso Ciampa,Pete Dunne, Kevin Owens, Johnny Gargano(if they re-sign him),Damian Priest etc.. It would give us some good matches and should lead to a solid match with Triple H at some point. Just my idea anyway. What do y’all think about my storyline idea?

#12 2022-02-15 14:22:08

Tommy

About a Cody and Triple H feud, sure it makes sense but that's in the fans minds not in the WWEs mind. Makes sense to fans because of Cody's positioning in AEW being similar to that of Triple H's however in order to tie that in to a feud WWE would have to acknowledge what Cody did for AEW on their programming and I highly doubt they would give any mention of AEW by name or any kind of round about way. Plus Triple H's health is a major question mark.

And Y2JFanatic there's no way Cody would sign with WWE if he was coming back as Stardust. But personally I'd love to see Damien Priest issue a WrestleMania US title open challenge and a returning Cody comes out at Mania and accepts the challenge.

#13 2022-02-15 14:28:19

RyanP

Tommy wrote:

About a Cody and Triple H feud, sure it makes sense but that's in the fans minds not in the WWEs mind. Makes sense to fans because of Cody's positioning in AEW being similar to that of Triple H's however in order to tie that in to a feud WWE would have to acknowledge what Cody did for AEW on their programming and I highly doubt they would give any mention of AEW by name or any kind of round about way. Plus Triple H's health is a major question mark.

And Y2JFanatic there's no way Cody would sign with WWE if he was coming back as Stardust. But personally I'd love to see Damien Priest issue a WrestleMania US title open challenge and a returning Cody comes out at Mania and accepts the challenge.

You have a fair point about Cody’s past with AEW having to be acknowledged in a feud with Triple H that said however I would be remiss if I didn’t point out that when Drew McIntyre returned they talked about him reinventing himself without mentioning Impact Wrestling as the place where he reinvented himself. Whether that’s possible with Cody’s situation or not remains to be seen.

Last edited by RyanP (2022-02-15 14:28:49)

#14 2022-02-15 14:38:11

RyanP

I think another way WWE could benefit from bringing Cody back is to use him as a recruiting tool if they want to go after AEW talent with expiring contracts. Just a thought.

#15 2022-02-15 15:12:01

Tommy

RyanP wrote:

I think another way WWE could benefit from bringing Cody back is to use him as a recruiting tool if they want to go after AEW talent with expiring contracts. Just a thought.

He is close with MJF and MJF stated he will test the waters of free agency so he's one name I can see coming to WWE.

#16 2022-02-15 17:40:26

Mdsavage

I wonder if he talked to Jericho and Malenko and they told him to leave since it is starting to look like WCW all over again. Bolted roster and a couple of aging guys up top refusing to see that their time is done

#17 2022-02-16 07:30:10

Enziguri

I think Cidy is all about making the pro wrestling world as a whole a more interesting place, which I admire him for. If he stayed in AEW he's just another guy on a stacked roster. If he goes to WWE he literally shakes the whole pro wrestling world to its foundation and becomes the most talked about name in the business.

I feel like Vince wouldn't hold a grudge, and would instead admire Cody's entrepreneurial attitude of going out and creating his own promotion after getting released. So hopefully this results in Cody becoming a major player in WWE and being a solidified main eventer.

Cody seemed to hit his ceiling pretty quickly in AEW, whereas in WWE he still has a ton of stuff he could accomplish. I feel like this years WrestleMania could be a little too soon for Triple H to return to the ring, maybe next year. As for this year, I think Cody will debut the night after WrestleMania.

If they want him to have a match at this years WrestleMania, I'd like to see him face Randy Orton, or even maybe a challenger to Bobby Lashley and the WWE Title if they really want to make an impact and capitalise on the hype.

Could you imagine if this happened a few weeks earlier and Cody Rhodes came out during the Royal Rumble match? That would have been huge.

Last edited by Enziguri (2022-02-16 07:31:54)

#18 2022-02-16 16:45:38

Y2JFanatic

They're probably gonna end up putting Cody and Brandy on NXT. He could end up being the new GM for NXT replacing Regal, I can see that too, honestly.

Board footer