You are not logged in.

#1 2021-03-08 09:21:52

RyanP

Christian signing overhyped or not?

It was revealed last night that Christian has signed with AEW. The question is simple. Did AEW overhype this signing or not? I personally think they did overhype it. Unless it ended up being Lesnar,Punk or Angle it was going to be considered overhyped. whether this ends up being a successful signing or not remains to be seen. What are y’all’s thoughts on Christian’s signing and whether it was overhyped or not?

Last edited by RyanP (2021-03-08 09:23:17)

#2 2021-03-08 10:10:41

GoodOldPapa

Re: Christian signing overhyped or not?

They didn't say anything on Dynamite other than the person was "Hall of Fame worthy", which could apply to numerous wrestlers.  As you said, anyone short of Lesnar or Punk, was gonna be somewhat of a letdown.  Plus most HOF worthy wrestlers nowadays would be over 40, because in my opinion, they need to really have at least 10-15 years in the business to show what they can do over a long period of time.

#3 2021-03-08 10:25:36

RyanP

GoodOldPapa wrote:

They didn't say anything on Dynamite other than the person was "Hall of Fame worthy", which could apply to numerous wrestlers.  As you said, anyone short of Lesnar or Punk, was gonna be somewhat of a letdown.  Plus most HOF worthy wrestlers nowadays would be over 40, because in my opinion, they need to really have at least 10-15 years in the business to show what they can do over a long period of time.

I agree with you that most HOF worthy wrestlers are over 40 which leads me to ask another question. How many more 40+ year olds do they need to sign? I mean there last three big signings were Sting-61 years old,Big Show-49 years old and Christian who’s 47 years old. Also I saw on Twitter that WNS was criticizing the IWC for making a big deal about the wrestlers ages. What I find interesting about that is that they decided to make that statement during an AEW PPV. I mean WWE receives the same criticism for the same thing yet I really haven’t seen WNS criticize the IWC for doing it to WWE. That was Not intended to be a criticism of WNS but merely an observation.

#4 2021-03-08 10:58:06

HC13 Aries Styles

Will say it was kinda overhyped, but want lie it also a good signing, considering everything... Consider he sorta stepped away from the ring in the WWE on his own...  Consider he was also a surprise in this  years 2021 Royal Rumble...  Consider also the possibility of him and Edge was going work together at some point leading up to Edges Wrestlemania title match against Roman Reigns.....
Though will say I thinking the signings we have seen so far is just the beginning of more that will be signed this year...  Who else could AEW land I don't know, but I'm sure they will play their cards close like they did this one???

Last edited by HC13 Aries Styles (2021-03-08 10:58:32)

#5 2021-03-08 12:57:01

pinkFloyd4ever

I think it was a good signing. I was holding out for Punk but Christian is solid. Still a risky signing for both Given his concussion history and age yet if one keeps their body in shape age doesn't have to be a factor. Just look at Jericho. Prior to that Flair put on some good matches after 50.
But I'd be lying if I wasn't looking for comedy bits from E and C

#6 2021-03-09 03:42:36

Blazaholic

I didn't think it was going to live up to the hype from the start. Bold announcements like this usually never do. Still I don't think it was a let down by any means. Christian is solid, looked good at the Rumble and I'm sure for some it was still quite a shock, seeing him so recently on WWE programming. The only downside is we don't get to see Edge and Christian team up again even if it would have only been for one match. I could still see Angle being their next big signing but I think Christian delivered.

#7 2021-03-09 12:42:04

Ben Kerin
Director of WNS
Website
Facebook Twitter Instagram
XMPP:
benkerin@wrestlr.me XMPP XMPP
(offline)

Christian has the potential to be a solid signing.

He's been out of the ring for a while (minus Royal Rumble) there will be a market curious to see what he will do next, much like Edge in WWE. I'm surprised WWE never locked Christian into a deal, even if it was a legend one, although it seems he wanted to get back in the ring...so maybe he can end his career the way he wants in the next few years.

Board footer