You are not logged in.

#1 2021-02-24 01:44:15

RyanP

Miz the first ever double grand slam champion?

After his WWE championship victory at Elimination Chamber The Miz became recognized by the company as the only 2 time grand slam champion in WWE history. What that means is that he has held the WWE,Intercontinental,US and tag titles at least 2 times. My question to y’all is do you agree with them that Miz is the first double grand slam champion in wwe history? In my opinion he is because of the parameters WWE has set to qualify for that distinction. He has held the WWE title twice. He’s had multiple IC,US and tag title reigns. Now the argument I’ve seen made in the comment section of the article reporting this story is that WWE ignored the Attitude Era and the titles associated with it and one could argue that there is some truth to that however it should be pointed out that when WWE bestowed the Miz with the distinction of being the first double grand slam champion that they specifically said WWE,IC,US and tag titles NOT the European,Hardcore, World Heavyweight or Light Heavyweight  titles which are all associated with the attitude era which makes sense since the main titles (WWE,US,IC and Tag)are the current active titles in the company. What are y’all’s thoughts on this?

Last edited by RyanP (2021-02-24 01:46:31)

#2 2021-02-25 03:42:33

Blazaholic

Re: Miz the first ever double grand slam champion?

I mean it's all just semantics. Much like Jericho being the first ever undisputed champion. It's easy to forget just how fast he lost those titles, but it's easy to remember that he was the first undisputed champion, much like this with Miz. It's something he's always going to be able to boast about in promos because it sounds impressive. I'm sure with a bit of digging you could find that statement to be false, but it just depends on what WWE's definition of a grand slam champion is. I can't be bothered to look up everyone's championship accomplishments but I feel like Triple H had held all the titles necessary to be a grand slam champion more than once. I know he held the European championship at least twice. Saying The Miz is the first 2 time grand slam champion is as meaningless as Hall of Famers being inducted more than once. Doesn't mean much but it sounds good to say. I have no doubt the Miz will run with this and boost his credentials even more.

#3 2021-02-25 12:27:29

RyanP

Blazaholic wrote:

I mean it's all just semantics. Much like Jericho being the first ever undisputed champion. It's easy to forget just how fast he lost those titles, but it's easy to remember that he was the first undisputed champion, much like this with Miz. It's something he's always going to be able to boast about in promos because it sounds impressive. I'm sure with a bit of digging you could find that statement to be false, but it just depends on what WWE's definition of a grand slam champion is. I can't be bothered to look up everyone's championship accomplishments but I feel like Triple H had held all the titles necessary to be a grand slam champion more than once. I know he held the European championship at least twice. Saying The Miz is the first 2 time grand slam champion is as meaningless as Hall of Famers being inducted more than once. Doesn't mean much but it sounds good to say. I have no doubt the Miz will run with this and boost his credentials even more.

You make some valid points but like I said when you factor in WWE’s title parameters for this distinction(WWE,IC,US and Tag Titles) Miz by my research thus far is the only one who meets those requirements. Triple H never held the US title so he wouldn’t even make the list today. I’ve gone back and looked at the title history of some of WWE’s current top guys and none of them fit the parameters that WWE has used to give Miz the distinction of being a double grand slam champion which is okay because like you said outside of Miz using it in a promo it really doesn’t have any other value but the reason I brought this whole topic up is because as soon as this was announced I saw fans immediately say that WWE was rewriting history but how can they say that if they don’t bother to do any research on the subject first. I get that everyone is entitled to their own opinion but this subject is less about voicing an opinion and more about facts.Bottom line is if your going to claim WWE is rewriting history then have the proof to back it up.

Last edited by RyanP (2021-02-25 12:41:56)

#4 2021-02-26 04:09:31

Blazaholic

RyanP wrote:
Blazaholic wrote:

You make some valid points but like I said when you factor in WWE’s title parameters for this distinction(WWE,IC,US and Tag Titles) Miz by my research thus far is the only one who meets those requirements. Triple H never held the US title so he wouldn’t even make the list today. I’ve gone back and looked at the title history of some of WWE’s current top guys and none of them fit the parameters that WWE has used to give Miz the distinction of being a double grand slam champion which is okay because like you said outside of Miz using it in a promo it really doesn’t have any other value but the reason I brought this whole topic up is because as soon as this was announced I saw fans immediately say that WWE was rewriting history but how can they say that if they don’t bother to do any research on the subject first. I get that everyone is entitled to their own opinion but this subject is less about voicing an opinion and more about facts.Bottom line is if your going to claim WWE is rewriting history then have the proof to back it up.

I can get why they'd think that they're rewriting history but the way WWE spins it makes it true, at least as far as I know. Triple H would probably be the closest thing, but he won one version of the tag titles with Stone Cold, and then the unified version with Shawn Michaels, but by that point the European championship had been unified with the IC title, and he's never held the US Championship. Still a nice accomplishment for the Miz, who I thought would always just be known as the reality tv star when he first debuted on Smackdown. Definitely shook that despite the crappy reality show he's doing with Maryse.

Board footer