You are not logged in.

#1 2021-02-20 17:45:05

Y2JFanatic

Soap opera in WWE storylines is nothing new, get over it...

Ya know, it's funny when people complain and bitch about soap opera & gossipy like storylines in WWE like with all this Ric Flair/Lacy Evans and Rey Mysterio's family vs. Seth Rollins and all that stuff. Well, I got news for y'all... these kind of storylines in WWE is nothing new...

and it goes way back to the 80's and soap opera even existed back then... for starters, all this Macho Man/Miss Elizabeth and Hulk Hogan drama. Another example is Triple H/Steph vs. Test during the Attitude Era, Dawn Marie and Al Wilson, Kurt Angle and Steph, Linda McMahon vs. her own family, Chyna and Eddie Guerrero (another big one), Mark Henry & Mae Young (the birth of the hand, lol), Edge and Lita and I can go on and on.

Another note, I know that many of you hate the Rey Mysterio vs. Seth Rollins and Dominic stuff but just so you know this wasn't the first time WWE had Mysterio family get involved with storylines over Dominic 'cause remember... Eddie Guerrero had a big feud with Rey over the custody of Dominic before Eddie passed... that was when Eddie was a heel and it was his last big storyline.

Drama, soap opera and gossip like storylines in wrestling is nothing new, y'all... so relax. It's called entertainment. Vince McMahon has always said it's not just a wrestling show, it's also drama... like a TV show and theater all in one. Kind of like a movie or a TV show. If you think about it, wrestling is a "soap opera"... even in the ring, there's soap opera and storytelling in the matches too.

On top of that, I'm probably the only one who is actually enjoying this Ric Flair/Lacy Evans vs. Charlotte feud 'cause it's helping to bring out the heel Ric Flair again and I'm loving it. I think Ric Flair is best at playing heel and he does a good job of pissing the fans off like usual. Ric Flair is 71 years old and he still does the best job at playing a heel even to this day. I'm not that crazy about Flair as a babyface but I love him more as a heel, though. I think this storyline is pretty funny stuff... it's also helping Lacy Evans getting over as a heel too so this storyline is a good thing for her. I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes 'cause it's interesting, honestly.

What do you think???

Last edited by Y2JFanatic (2021-02-20 17:47:31)

#2 2021-02-20 18:43:23

Ari

Re: Soap opera in WWE storylines is nothing new, get over it...

You're right. It is nothing new. But for those who watch it for the sports parts of the entertainment, it is annoying. It's just another hurdle to get over in order to become entertained, and that's not what people want; people don't want to exercise to be entertained by a tv show. But it is something that WWE forces on all of its viewers

#3 2021-02-20 18:45:30

Ben Kerin
Director of WNS
Website
Facebook Twitter Instagram
XMPP:
benkerin@wrestlr.me XMPP XMPP
(offline)

WWE mastered and become a household name on soap opera storylines. They have always embraced their entertainment side, it is kind of what makes them so unique and successful. Raw and SmackDown will always have an element of OTT storytelling, this will not change.

I get annoyed when people complain about "this not being wrestling" blah blah. WWE has no intention to be a purely wrestling-orientated company but will offer you alternatives.

In the future WWE is going to have different shows for different markets, NXT UK, NXT Japan, and likely NXT India. They'll come a point where the average fan will struggle to watch all that WWE has to offer, and frankly, they don't want you to watch it all, they much rather you focus on the stuff you like, and you'll have that choice soon.

#4 2021-02-20 19:57:51

Blazaholic

Yeah it's been done in various ways time and time again, and it will continue to be done again and again in the future. The only thing that sucks is Ric is probably off TV now. A lot of them are hit or miss. Eddie vs Rey, classic storyline, Dawn Marie and Al Wilson, not as memorable. You can tell the same story over and over, but a lot of it has to do with the people, the way they lay out the story and the outcome. I didn't mind the stuff with Flair and Evans, probably could have had a good payoff, but life happens much in the way life happened when Becky Lynch was Raw Women's champion.

I enjoy the entertainment aspect more than the sport. It's great seeing more high fliers  and a quicker pace, just not when everyone does the same move. You don't just have to have a mic to tell a story, you can tell one in the ring too, but no one seems to have the psychology to do that anymore aside from very few. That to me is where Raw is lacking. That along with a lot of repetition matches every week. The stuff with Charlotte/Ric and Lacey wasn't my favorite storyline, but it definitely wasn't hurting Raw the way a lot of the other shit they've been doing does.

#5 2021-02-23 18:37:38

Y2JFanatic

Well guys, it seems that last night's RAW just suddenly ended the Ric Flair/Lacey Evans and Charlotte storyline pretty quickly last night on RAW. Vince was getting too much backlash after storyline wise Lacey announced she's pregnant? Me thinks yes. I wonder how much heat Vince got for this storyline backstage??? I'm sure the storyline made some of the talent upset backstage. It's not for everyone.

#6 2021-02-24 01:52:40

SirEdger

Ari wrote:

You're right. It is nothing new. But for those who watch it for the sports parts of the entertainment, it is annoying. It's just another hurdle to get over in order to become entertained, and that's not what people want; people don't want to exercise to be entertained by a tv show. But it is something that WWE forces on all of its viewers

How about just focusing on the stuff you like in the WWE product? No one forces nobody to watch WWE; if it turns you off that much, there are so many other options in terms of promotions; it's the most exciting time to be a wrestling fan since the end of the Monday Night Wars.

I always tell to anyone complaining about the WWE product that it may be better for your enjoyment if you choose to focus on the stuff you like rather than seeing what you don't like. There is no such thing as a perfect wrestling promotion; all of them have some little things that we don't like. WWE isn't aimed for the diehards, it's aimed for the casuals who see it as much as a TV show than just rasslin'. It is, I believe, why some current angles like The Fiend/Alexa/Orton is so polarizing; the WWE detractors (or this storyline's detractors) will find this hokey and be outraged that such a thing is allowed in a wrestling show but yet, it features something that is so key for any wrestling fan to enjoy a storyline and that's called long-term storytelling. Older fans like me grew up in a time where long-term storytelling was more of a regular thing but nowadays, with the way TV has been formatted, younger fans have been conditioned to have everything right away, lacking the patience of having the payoff unfold. I think I've been adamant online about how I love The Fiend & Alexa Bliss together, not only as a duo but a story in general because it's been so outside the box from what WWE has done in recent years and while I realize that there'll probably need adjustments to be made to the act when fans return full-time in a couple of months, it's still a viable pairing that is really over with fans when you look on social media.

At the end of the day, if a wrestling promotion isn't enjoyable to you, then switch products or just stop watching wrestling altogether. There is no need for anyone to make people feel miserable and ashamed for loving a specific promotion or act because you don't. I believe that wrestling social media would be so much more enjoyable if people understood that.

(the use of the "you" was meant to be broad, before anyone blows a gasket, feeling outed lol)

#7 2021-02-24 02:20:17

RyanP

SirEdger wrote:
Ari wrote:

How about just focusing on the stuff you like in the WWE product? No one forces nobody to watch WWE; if it turns you off that much, there are so many other options in terms of promotions; it's the most exciting time to be a wrestling fan since the end of the Monday Night Wars.

I always tell to anyone complaining about the WWE product that it may be better for your enjoyment if you choose to focus on the stuff you like rather than seeing what you don't like. There is no such thing as a perfect wrestling promotion; all of them have some little things that we don't like. WWE isn't aimed for the diehards, it's aimed for the casuals who see it as much as a TV show than just rasslin'. It is, I believe, why some current angles like The Fiend/Alexa/Orton is so polarizing; the WWE detractors (or this storyline's detractors) will find this hokey and be outraged that such a thing is allowed in a wrestling show but yet, it features something that is so key for any wrestling fan to enjoy a storyline and that's called long-term storytelling. Older fans like me grew up in a time where long-term storytelling was more of a regular thing but nowadays, with the way TV has been formatted, younger fans have been conditioned to have everything right away, lacking the patience of having the payoff unfold. I think I've been adamant online about how I love The Fiend & Alexa Bliss together, not only as a duo but a story in general because it's been so outside the box from what WWE has done in recent years and while I realize that there'll probably need adjustments to be made to the act when fans return full-time in a couple of months, it's still a viable pairing that is really over with fans when you look on social media.

At the end of the day, if a wrestling promotion isn't enjoyable to you, then switch products or just stop watching wrestling altogether. There is no need for anyone to make people feel miserable and ashamed for loving a specific promotion or act because you don't. I believe that wrestling social media would be so much more enjoyable if people understood that.

(the use of the "you" was meant to be broad, before anyone blows a gasket, feeling outed lol)

I couldn’t agree more with you. I’ve never understood why people would watch a wrestling show if all they are going to do is point out and discuss the negatives of said show. Like you said there are a lot of good options out there for fans right now but if you constantly focus on the negative your not going to enjoy any product you watch because no wrestling product is perfect and I truly believe that some fans have a hard time accepting that. The bottom line is that if your not enjoying the WWE product then don’t watch it just watch the wrestling product you like. There is absolutely no justification for mocking, ridiculing or insulting someone because of what promotion they love and are passionate about. The label “Mark” gets thrown around a lot when wrestling fans discuss certain topics but to me if your a true fan of the promotion you love which to me means you’re willing to admit and accept the fact that the promotion you love isn’t perfect and accept the criticism that comes a long with that then your not a mark in my book you’re a passionate wrestling fan.

Board footer