You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-24 00:23:18

HC13 Aries Styles

AEW the new places for stars to show show up???

It use to be the WWE was the place where we may see a non superstar show up...  Be it NFL current and former players, NBA current and former players, singers, movie stars and etc....
Lately  AEW  the past several months they have brought in several different personalities... One being Mike Tyson who had a little fight along with both of their groups, that had the locker room of AEW to pull them apart...  I don't know if we will see anymore of Tyson or if it was a short term deal for his appearances..
Next they been pushing and teasing and I figure they going have some kind of program with Shaq- Shaquille O'Neal and Cody... Now what ever and when that maybe remains to be seen but I feel something will happen maybe something that will involve several other former NBA personalities that works for TNT (I don't know how likely though)???
Then we seen during the AEW New Years shows they brought in Snoop Dogg to promote (TBS/TNT show Go Big Show) even having him involved in some of the matches...
Going back through 2020 they had several shows in which several famous faces made appearances as well the Inner Circle Bubbly Bunch Fight Club skit which featured several stars as Lou Ferrigno, and several others, then to the 30th Anniversary of Chris Jericho which featured videos from Slash, Gene Simmons, Dennis Miller and others...

Who else do you see AEW bringing in or working with that could bring some star power???    I think obviously we will see something with the NBA on TNT hosts eventually??

#2 2021-01-24 08:24:46

Enziguri

Re: AEW the new places for stars to show show up???

AEW need to balance it out carefully. WWE got a lot of criticism over the years for showcasing non wrestling personalities. The odd celebrity cameo/match here and there can be good to draw attention and mainstream media to the product, but what's more important for AEW is to make mainstream stars out of the guys they already have.

Guys like MJF, Jungle Boy and Orange Cassidy all have the potential to become cult stars if marketed right.  Get their faces out there on talk shows, commercials or TV show cameos, rather than bringing already established, non wrestling names to your show to take up TV time.

Last edited by Enziguri (2021-01-24 08:25:38)

#3 2021-01-24 08:32:01

Aj29051994

AEW can be that place, much like WWE can be too. However with the first two names you’ve mentioned the WWE has brought Tyson and Shaq in a few times before. Don’t get me wrong I like AEW I’m a fan of the product. But cannot say I was at all invested in what they were doing with Jericho and Tyson, nor am I the slightest bit interested in the Cody/Brandi/Red Velvet and Shaq/Jade Cargill storyline. For me the storyline will do absolutely nothing from a wrestling standpoint for Cody. But that’s just my opinion. I’ve neglected to say anything about the other names you mentioned because as you say it was for the Inner Circle fight skit, or for Jericho’s 30th Anniversary celebration.

#4 2021-01-24 15:55:38

HC13 Aries Styles

If one remembers WCW did the same thing cause they was the first to bring Shaq, and several other NBA stars Rodman and Malone.....
Any how  the only thing that made the Jericho- Tyson  angle anything was the pull apart fight scene, sadly they didn't follow up do to Tyson future commitments...
With Shaq and Cody still don't know the point of this I will say Program other then to introduce  Jade Cargill and maybe make her the top woman heel in the company???
Will be interesting who will be next to show up star wise, and if they put them in any matches/stories, and etc??

#5 2021-01-24 17:39:40

Aj29051994

I agree with the Shaq & Cody storyline, I do not see the point of it either. It is not going to make Cody look any stronger or add any value to him. I only hope the same that it in some way helps Cargill.

Board footer