You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-17 22:35:18

HC13 Aries Styles

Title vs title/Champion vs Champion match possibilities?

The WWF/WWE did it several times throughout the 1980s and 1990s (i.e. The Ultimate Warrior winning the WWF title)...  NWA/WCW did it several times through the 1980s, 1990s and til it closed in 2001 (Lex Luger winning the WCW title/ US title in 1991) (Goldberg winning the the WCW title/US title in 1998) (Booker T winning the WCW title/holding the US title the last Nitro) or even ....

Since it may be possible, though don't know how likely, what would you think about a Title vs Title match??  The other possibility is Champion vs Champion with the more Important title The AEW World Title being defended...
The AEW World Champion vs the TNT Champion???   It very possible with the current  champions with Kenny Omega being the AEW champion, and Darby Allin holding the TNT title...    If not Darby Allin the one to take this challenge who should, Cody Rhodes, Hangman Page, Chris Jericho or someone else???  What do y'all think???

#2 2021-01-18 02:51:05

RyanP

Re: Title vs title/Champion vs Champion match possibilities?

Champion vs Champion/Title vs Title feuds are risky because it ties two of your top titles up in one feud and if you don’t have the right wrestlers as champs in the feud then it could backfire. Hogan vs Warrior worked because of their popularity with the wrestling fans. Let me ask you this what title vs title feud would work better in AEW. The current champs Omega/Darby Allin or would Moxley/Cody Rhodes as champs work better for a title vs title feud? No disrespect to Omega or Allin but Moxley and Cody are the bigger names and would draw a bigger  response from the fans in a title vs title scenario. Just my two cents on the topic.

#3 2021-01-18 10:33:59

HeelKing

Re: Title vs title/Champion vs Champion match possibilities?

RyanP wrote:

Champion vs Champion/Title vs Title feuds are risky because it ties two of your top titles up in one feud and if you don’t have the right wrestlers as champs in the feud then it could backfire. Hogan vs Warrior worked because of their popularity with the wrestling fans. Let me ask you this what title vs title feud would work better in AEW. The current champs Omega/Darby Allin or would Moxley/Cody Rhodes as champs work better for a title vs title feud? No disrespect to Omega or Allin but Moxley and Cody are the bigger names and would draw a bigger  response from the fans in a title vs title scenario. Just my two cents on the topic.

It'd have to be Darby vs. Omega, to answer your question. Cody isn't able to wrestle for the World Title because he lost a stipulation match saying he'd never be able to compete for the World Title ever again. They could always undo it in a story, but they've held firm to it thus far.

As an aside, I do agree with you though that Mox vs. Cody would be the bigger draw because Darby is still on his way up.

I'd rather they didn't do a Champion vs. Champion feud or match, though.

Board footer