You are not logged in.

#1 2020-12-10 11:34:27

Shadow409

Is AEW trying too hard in this area?

Is AEW is trying too hard to be edgy and different, that it just comes off badly and makes it look stupid? Some examples are every time the Inner Circle flips off the camera.. are they a high school gang? It just feels so forced, dropping hell, bitch, shit, ect in almost every promo these days. Those are supposed enhancement words in wrestling, hearing them week in and week out doesn't add value to the promo, again are we in high school? Brandi going over the top ghetto in every promo is just painful to watch, the first time she came out and cut a promo the night Jane showed up, that was fine, it was fun, but now it's every week too. I just don't understand, I really enjoy AEW, but what is the point of these things? It doesn't add value, it doesn't add importance, it really doesn't add anything hearing or seeing these things weekly. I know Austin did it back in the day, but IT FIT his character at the time, The Rock used to say candy-ass because it fit his character, but the IC flipping off the camera doesn't do anything for them, it really doesn't fit the group or anyone individually. I just want things to make more sense in AEW and right now, it seems like nothing makes sense. Their last few Dynamites have felt very thrown together, "Winter is coming" was fun, but last nights was painful to watch. The Sting and Tony segment was fun, especially for the long time fans, the pups probably have no idea why that interaction was so much fun. It will be interesting to see how AEW books things going forward, especially with the next Dynamite special coming in just about two weeks. Oh and Snoop Dogg.. wtf. I'm actually kinda surprised given his relationship with Sasha Banks and WWE, but this could be interesting too.

What are your thoughts? Again, I'm not trying to bash AEW as I really really enjoy the product, but I just feel too much is out of place and just trying too hard in some respects.

Last edited by Shadow409 (2020-12-10 11:34:45)

#2 2020-12-10 16:24:59

Tjm1963

Re: Is AEW trying too hard in this area?

Shadow409 wrote:

Is AEW is trying to hard to be edgy and different, that it just comes off badly and makes it look stupid? Some examples are every time the Inner Circle flips off the camera.. are they a high school gang? It just feels so forced, dropping hell, bitch, shit, ect in almost every promo these days. Those are supposed enhancement words in wrestling, hearing them week in and week out doesn't add value to the promo, again are we in high school? Brandi going over the top ghetto in every promo is just painful to watch, the first time she came out and cut a promo the night Jane showed up, that was fine, it was fun, but now it's every week too. I just don't understand, I really enjoy AEW, but what is the point of these things? It doesn't add value, it doesn't add importance, it really doesn't add anything hearing or seeing these things weekly. I know Austin did it back in the day, but IT FIT his character at the time, The Rock used to say candy-ass because it fit his character, but the IC flipping off the camera doesn't do anything for them, it really doesn't fit the group or anyone individually. I just want things to make more sense in AEW and right now, it seems like nothing makes sense. Their last few Dynamites have felt very thrown together, "Winter is coming" was fun, but last nights was painful to watch. The Sting and Tony segment was fun, especially for the long time fans, the pups probably have no idea why that interaction was so much fun. It will be interesting to see how AEW books things going forward, especially with the next Dynamite special coming in just about two weeks. Oh and Snoop Dogg.. wtf. I'm actually kinda surprised given his relationship with Sasha Banks and WWE, but this could be interesting too.

What are your thoughts? Again, I'm not trying to bash AEW as I really really enjoy the product, but I just feel too much is out of place and just trying too hard in some respects.

think they are trying  too hard some areas as said  really  think they need to  relax more....

#3 2020-12-10 16:31:34

Aj29051994

I agree, I like that AEW is trying to be edgy and different, yes some things will pay off and others will not. From the original members of the Inner Circle, I feel that flipping off the camera and bad language would work best for Santana & Ortiz as they portray street thug characters. The other three originals I do not feel it adds any value to their characters. With Brandi personally I do not feel she is needed on camera, yes keep her behind the scenes with what she does, but she just does not draw me into watching her when she is either cutting a promo or wrestling a match. I agree the last few episodes of Dynamite have felt thrown together aside from the ‘Winter is Coming’ episode, that did feel like they treated it almost like a PPV event. But I already have my reservations about next weeks episode as soon as I heard there will be a 14 man tag team match, for me tag matches with that many participants simply do not work. The 5 on 5 ones are big enough. Nonetheless though I will still continue to watch Dynamite as I am a fan and enjoy it, but like with all companies yes they do have their flaws.

#4 2020-12-12 18:13:37

Blah blah blah

most of the time yes. They really are trying to hard. I know they want to be edgy and move away from WWE. I feel like they’re just trying so hard. Lots of kick outs, lots of people huddled together to catch you when you jump out of the ring. They’re trying so hard to get a holy shit or this is awesome Chant it feels force. If they just try to understand that while you may feel edgy. You still feel scripted and it just gets old.

#5 2020-12-12 21:01:53

HeelKing

I don't feel they're trying too hard. For a long time I've wanted an edgier, more adult type of wrestling product. They're that, and I'm not complaining.

You bring up the language, claiming they're supposed to be enhancement words. I'll ask you this, though- are they, or is that what many viewers have been conditioned to believe because that's how WWE did it? I'm not saying one way is right or wrong, and you've obviously got people who agree with you on here. I don't. There are others who won't. That's the great part about having two different wrestling promotions. Everyone can watch what they like, and I understand you have even said you like AEW.

The IC flipping off the camera also somewhat does fit their characters. I'd argue it's meant as a way to signify they're going to do what they want and if you don't like it, well that's the message they're giving you. Look at the way Jericho will sometimes go at fans on Twitter. I don't think it's meant to make them look like bad asses. It's meant to be a message about their attitude.

I will agree with you that the Snoop appearance is a little weird, and it does nothing to raise my interest. That's a network thing, though. That's all about cross promoting that Go Big or Go Home show, the same way Shaq's presence is all about cross promoting the NBA. I'm sure they probably could say no, but would it be wise? They've got a strong network partner, and it's probably best to keep them happy. I can deal with it.

Board footer