You are not logged in.

#1 2020-12-04 12:30:26

ilyem

MJF & Never breaking character.

This will be the first time I've ever started a topic, but figured this might be a question worth asking.

If you're a fan of MJF's and follow him over social media, one thing that is noticeable is MJF really never breaks kayfabe, he is in character in all tweets, social media posts, and I believe outside interview, he does tone it down in some interviews IE the episode of A Shot of Brandi he was on, but he's constantly always in the character of Maxwell Jacob Friedman. Today on Twitter he posted this his grandfather passed from cancer and wrote in a notes app update some tidbits about hid grandfather and how much he was loved by him but ended it with "So basically what I am getting at is Chris, Me, and the spirit of my Pappa would like to say... EAT SH*T TURDS!" which is classic MJF fashion and gave me a little chuckle because that is true to the MJF character. I saw someone in the replies saying that its okay to break kayfabe in this instance, he doesn't always have to be in character.

My question is, how do feel about wrestlers who stay in character all the time? Not just on screen but social media, interviews, podcasts, and such. I know MJF is dedicated to the persona he has created and breaking it doesn't seem like anything he wants to do in the future, but I know that some people would like to know how he is outside of his character.

I personally don't mind as long as it's not forced on the wrestler, I know prior to the social media age wrestlers were expected to be in character all of the time and it's become less common in the last decade or so. So in my opinion I don't mind either way, if they wanna stay in character all the time, more power to them I am sure that can be difficult at times, and if they want to live their real life on social media and what not, that's fine with me too.

What are you guys thoughts?

#2 2020-12-04 12:51:17

RyanP

Re: MJF & Never breaking character.

I think whether they should stay in character on social media depends on how invested the fans are in the character. A popular character like MJF is more likely to receive more criticism for breaking kayfabe/character then say WWE’s Lacey Evans. Lacey is portrayed as a heel character on WWE programming but you would never guess that if you only watched her YouTube Channel because she is naturally nice in real life but because most fans aren’t invested in the Lacey Evans character they don’t care if she breaks character off screen. I don’t know if any of that makes sense but that’s my two cents on the subject. Hope your day is going well.

Last edited by RyanP (2020-12-04 12:51:47)

#3 2020-12-04 18:03:19

Ben Kerin
Director of WNS
Website
Facebook Twitter Instagram
XMPP:
XMPP XMPP
()

He just retweeted us. ?

#4 2020-12-05 21:04:08

welshlewis91

I think its cool he stays in character but i think it only works with the right "gimmick" and the persons ability to execute it as it would seem insulting to our intelligence and be quite cringe imagine a twitter full of wrestling heels it would look like the comment section on an Bryan Alvarez ratings tweet.

#5 2020-12-07 08:59:11

Ben Kerin
Director of WNS
Website
Facebook Twitter Instagram
XMPP:
XMPP XMPP
()

I think he's one of the best heels going right now. He is very believable and you always want to slap him!

Board footer