You are not logged in.

#1 2020-12-03 10:38:56

RyanP

Can we officially label AEW as WCW 2.0?

Sting,Tully Blanchard, Arn Anderson Dustin Rhodes,DDP,Jericho and Jake Roberts. A EVP(Omega) as world champ. Using an old WCW PPV name(Bash at the Beach) while trying to copyright other old WCW PPV names. Using sports stars(Shaq) in a possible match. I mean it’s hard not to look at them at least for me anyway without seeing them as WCW 2.0. The reason I bring this up is because when AEW first came into existence their whole pitch was an alternative to WWE that’s new and fresh. Have they done some new and fresh things? Yes but it just seems to me like their more interested in trips down memory lane instead of focusing on their younger talent which goes against there original pitch to an extent. I’m no idiot I realize that WWE has done some of these same things but they aren’t a new company who’s pitch was new,fresh and an alternative to another company. I’m not making this topic as a WWE fan looking to start a name calling argument I’m just looking for an AEW fans viewpoint on this. What are your thoughts? Are the WCW comparisons justified? Should they keep going down this nostalgic road or should they start focusing more on their younger talent and not on nostalgia? What are you thoughts on this folks?

Last edited by RyanP (2020-12-03 10:40:44)

#2 2020-12-03 11:21:46

ilyem

Re: Can we officially label AEW as WCW 2.0?

WWE has done all of these things, would it be fair to call modern day WWE, WCW 2.0 as well? They've brought in a multitude of older stars before as well, Sting being one of them. Triple H is an EVP as well, Hulk has been brought back on multiple occasions. WWE wanted Shaq to fight big show, David Arquette, Cain Velasquez, he maybe a fighter but fighting/wrestling are different in my opinion, not everyone who boxes can wrestler and not everyone who wrestle can be an MMA fighter, IE see CM Punk. My viewpoint is anything is fair game, just as anything is fair game for WWE. Kenny is one of the biggest wrestlers in the world, him becoming champ was only a matter of time, and he is currently one of the only people who could beat Mox and be believable about it. Arn isn't brought in as a wrestler, he's a manager, same with Tully, yes they are okay with taking bumps and getting involved but we aren't gonna see Arn vs Tully as Revolution, same with Jake. Why not announce when you got a big name coming in? Sting is a legend, any wrestling company who got a high profile Nostalgic name is gonna make a big deal about it, it's not like they are coming in and beating Mox for the title, if that were the case, I would have an issue with it. AEW is treading water with who they sign and what they have them do. 62 year old Arn Anderson isn't going to be holding any title, same with Jake, Tully, and probably Sting. We see these guys come out with their talent as managers, they aren't building them up as singles performers themselves, Taz brings familiarity to Brian Cage and Ricky Starks, same with Tully with FTR and Shawn Spears, which in my opinion is where it differs as if WWE could have put a title on Hulk Hogan in the last ten years, we all know they absolutely would have. As far as I am concerned as long as they aren't bringing these guy to win titles over the younger talent and are on the ring side, it doesn't bother me. WCW comparisons are valid on both sides, but it doesn't mean that its 2.0, similarities, yes, but not the same thing. Do I think Sting will wrestle? Probably, yeah, if they can get a match out of him, they will. Is he gonna get a run with the world title? I would highly doubt it, I can't say with 100% certainty because anything could happen, but I am about 99% certain that it wont. The chances of him showing up to be a manager or work backstage while doing a program with Cody or Darby is what I see in the cards. Again, I would be singing a much different tune if these men were showing up as wrestlers and not backstage creative or managers.

#3 2020-12-03 12:02:18

RyanP

ilyem wrote:

WWE has done all of these things, would it be fair to call modern day WWE, WCW 2.0 as well? They've brought in a multitude of older stars before as well, Sting being one of them. Triple H is an EVP as well, Hulk has been brought back on multiple occasions. WWE wanted Shaq to fight big show, David Arquette, Cain Velasquez, he maybe a fighter but fighting/wrestling are different in my opinion, not everyone who boxes can wrestler and not everyone who wrestle can be an MMA fighter, IE see CM Punk. My viewpoint is anything is fair game, just as anything is fair game for WWE. Kenny is one of the biggest wrestlers in the world, him becoming champ was only a matter of time, and he is currently one of the only people who could beat Mox and be believable about it. Arn isn't brought in as a wrestler, he's a manager, same with Tully, yes they are okay with taking bumps and getting involved but we aren't gonna see Arn vs Tully as Revolution, same with Jake. Why not announce when you got a big name coming in? Sting is a legend, any wrestling company who got a high profile Nostalgic name is gonna make a big deal about it, it's not like they are coming in and beating Mox for the title, if that were the case, I would have an issue with it. AEW is treading water with who they sign and what they have them do. 62 year old Arn Anderson isn't going to be holding any title, same with Jake, Tully, and probably Sting. We see these guys come out with their talent as managers, they aren't building them up as singles performers themselves, Taz brings familiarity to Brian Cage and Ricky Starks, same with Tully with FTR and Shawn Spears, which in my opinion is where it differs as if WWE could have put a title on Hulk Hogan in the last ten years, we all know they absolutely would have. As far as I am concerned as long as they aren't bringing these guy to win titles over the younger talent and are on the ring side, it doesn't bother me. WCW comparisons are valid on both sides, but it doesn't mean that its 2.0, similarities, yes, but not the same thing. Do I think Sting will wrestle? Probably, yeah, if they can get a match out of him, they will. Is he gonna get a run with the world title? I would highly doubt it, I can't say with 100% certainty because anything could happen, but I am about 99% certain that it wont. The chances of him showing up to be a manager or work backstage while doing a program with Cody or Darby is what I see in the cards. Again, I would be singing a much different tune if these men were showing up as wrestlers and not backstage creative or managers.

I agree that the similarities are there on both sides when it comes to the WCW comparison however when you start a new company like AEW with a mission statement of being fresh, new and an alternative to WWE then start doing some of the same things WWE does are you really being fresh or new or an alternative? I agree the same ideas and concepts are going to be used by multiple companies but in my opinion AEW backed themselves into a corner by coming out saying fresh,new and alternative to WWE because now they are going to receive more criticism for going the WWE route by using legends/veterans. Maybe not use them in the same capacity as WWE does but they are still putting them on Dynamite while some of their younger talent is stuck on Dark. Does that sit right with you? I mean I know I hate it when WWE does that. That’s the main reason why I prefer NXT over AEW is simply because NXT is focused on showcasing the talent of the future not living in the past with nostalgia.

#4 2020-12-03 13:40:43

HeelKing

I mean sure, yeah, one could say AEW has some similarities to WCW. We're talking about a form of entertainment that's been around for roughly around a century, though. Every company has done something that another company has done. I'm not much on main roster WWE, but I don't care if they recycle something. I'm an AEW fan, I don't care if they recycle something. The trick is whatever you do, just do it well.

Bash at the Beach was something created by Cody's father, so naturally he'd want to use it. It makes sense. WWE used Halloween Havoc. No real argument from me for or against either company's decision, just give me an entertaining show.

I get you're basing a lot of your thought on this around the mission statement, but you've got to take those things with a grain of salt. AEW has done some fresh things such as incorporate rankings, picture-in-picture during matches, re-focus on tag team wrestling, establish working relationships with other promotions and been more accessible on social media. They haven't been perfect, but what company is?

My thing is pretty much just enjoy what you enjoy. It's a good time to be a wrestling fan.

#5 2020-12-03 13:52:41

ilyem

RyanP wrote:
ilyem wrote:

I agree that the similarities are there on both sides when it comes to the WCW comparison however when you start a new company like AEW with a mission statement of being fresh, new and an alternative to WWE then start doing some of the same things WWE does are you really being fresh or new or an alternative? I agree the same ideas and concepts are going to be used by multiple companies but in my opinion AEW backed themselves into a corner by coming out saying fresh,new and alternative to WWE because now they are going to receive more criticism for going the WWE route by using legends/veterans. Maybe not use them in the same capacity as WWE does but they are still putting them on Dynamite while some of their younger talent is stuck on Dark. Does that sit right with you? I mean I know I hate it when WWE does that. That’s the main reason why I prefer NXT over AEW is simply because NXT is focused on showcasing the talent of the future not living in the past with nostalgia.

They are using these guys as a way to push up the younger talent. Taz is doing a really good job with Ricky and Brian, people are loving Will Hobbs, I'm not a fan of the name change but it is what it is. Shawn Spears is struggling but that is just because personally, his gimmick is all over the place but his feud with Scorpio Sky is the first thing that has gotten me remotely interested in them because Scorpio is an incredible talent. They are putting these younger talents in the spot light, giving more to just Brian Cage being big and scary, he's also a heel character, Ricky is super charismatic but before Taz got him he was another good wrestler who didnt have a real appeal to me. Their tag scene is fantastic, and I have no issue with EVP's holding titles as long as they are active roster participants like the Bucks and Kenny. They have a ton of talent and Dark is used to show case and and more and more people are showing up from there every week. Tag teams, female wrestlers, singles stars. The show is a year old and they have two hours where as WWE has seven every week. My issue with that is NXT often gets bled dry of their main talent and then have to rebuild stars aside from the ones who refuse to go to the main roster because they know they will be buried there. So far AEW has had one multiple time champ being Cody, I didn't agree with it, it wasn't needed, but the titles have been passed around to the same 5-7 guys in WWE for almost the last ten years. AEW isn't solely living in the past, if using some old timers to help younger guys like Ricky, Bryan, Darby, Scorpio, FTR, even Matt with Private Party get over, it's using them correctly. Taz is a talking piece as is Jake, but Arn and Tully rarely cut promos and are seen ring side and come in for the quick gotcha moment, I don't really see any of them overshining their clients in my honest opinion. If things change and suddenly Arn Anderson is holding the TNT championship, then I'll have an issue.

It's been confirmed Sting will be physical in some aspects, he's not gonna be taking many bumps, he's gonna be a character. That does not spell to me that he's gonna be holding titles or taking away all the shine on younger stars. If he partners up with Darby and makes Darby a more complex character with more than just throwing himself into things, I'm down for it. I feel like Sammy G has a push coming because his exchange with Jungle Boy last night was amazing. I'm giving it a chance, ask me again in 3 months and we'll see where we are then.

#6 2020-12-03 21:42:50

HC13 Aries Styles

Want deny the comparing of such....  But will say one thing that is totally different if having a Champion after winning go to another promotion appearing on their show/programming.... Something we haven't ever seen in modern day wrestling..  Something we never seen during the Monday Night wars, though from talks and shoots was close several times...

#7 2020-12-05 21:29:15

welshlewis91

I think that's a stretch to call them WCW 2.0 bringing in Shaq is not ideal for me but i understand why they do it as it's a business and they want to expand and get main stream appeal as that's what pays the bills especially in a era where money comes from merch and tv only so they need new fans and eyes and whos more main stream than Shaq? (im from the UK and never seen a basketball game in my life) and i know who he is. Putting the belt on Omega is justified same as the TNT when it was on Cody as in my opinion Kenny Omega is THE BEST pro wrestler EVER and he is current so why not put it on him on top even if he wasn't EVP anyone would put him on top and they have. When it comes to fresh talent that takes time but they are already working on top flight, the acclaimed, Darby is the champ, Sammy looks like he will feud with Jericho soon, MJF has beaten Cody, Private Party beaten the Bucks, Ricky Starks will be a star, Will Hobbs has been from unknown to a notable roster member in less than 3 months and with a second show in 2021 the youthful talent will be relied upon much heavily. AEW isn't exempt from criticism and as a big fan there's things i have thought WTF but overall they are no where near WCW and doing a damn good job so far.

Board footer