You are not logged in.

#1 2020-11-14 15:41:46

HC13 Aries Styles

The tease of Shaq

This past week we seen the debut of Jade Cargill  during a promo Cody Rhodes  cutted on what next for him and where his career goes to now.... Jade Cargill talked about Cody refering to him-self as a Giant Killer, and goes on to tell him there is nothing Giant about him..  As she was leaving she dropped the name Shaq...  Thus teasing Cody vs Shaq  I guess in a special edition of Dynamite or even at the next PPV in February, all depending how long they want to build this?? 

Personally I have mix feelings of Shaq vs Cody and don't know why they face off other then the cross-promotional with the NBA and AEW on TNT...   But it might be interesting  to see how it goes and the reasoning for the match??  What do y'all think??

#2 2020-11-14 15:58:37

Ben Kerin
Director of WNS
Website
Facebook Twitter Instagram
XMPP:
XMPP XMPP
()

Re: The tease of Shaq

Will be interesting if he does show up to wrestle.

Can't imagine WWE will be too pleased, having wanted him to wrestle for a while.

#3 2020-11-14 20:43:15

RyanP

I’m not saying that match couldn’t be interesting if done right but let’s be honest here if the roles were reversed and this was WWE putting Shaq or any other celebrity/athlete in a match they would be crucified by the fans for using the celebrity/athlete instead of  using an actual wrestler that’s on their roster. So my question to the AEW fans is why isn’t AEW getting criticized more for this? It just seems like there’s a double standard going on when it comes to the fans judging AEW/WWE but like I said the match could be interesting if built up properly with a good backstory.

Last edited by RyanP (2020-11-14 20:43:37)

#4 2020-11-15 20:29:43

HC13 Aries Styles

I'm sure fans are critical of the idea of this match, just as many were for Mike Tyson-Chris Jericho angle they seemingly dropped...  But anyhow  I too think depending on the story they plan to tell and buildup for the match will be interesting though...

#5 2020-11-16 17:19:51

ilyem

RyanP wrote:

I’m not saying that match couldn’t be interesting if done right but let’s be honest here if the roles were reversed and this was WWE putting Shaq or any other celebrity/athlete in a match they would be crucified by the fans for using the celebrity/athlete instead of  using an actual wrestler that’s on their roster. So my question to the AEW fans is why isn’t AEW getting criticized more for this? It just seems like there’s a double standard going on when it comes to the fans judging AEW/WWE but like I said the match could be interesting if built up properly with a good backstory.

AEW is getting criticized for this, the majority of people I've seen who are avid AEW fans aren't psyched for this storyline in the least, me being one of them. I'm not saying there aren't people who are for it, because I am sure there are but that would be the same with WWE. I'm not here for Shaq to come in and be a wrestler because he's not and I just see it as something for Cody to do because he blocked himself into a corner by making it so he can't challenge for the main title anymore. I don't know where you got that no one was criticizing AEW for this because Tony Khan has been getting read the riot act on Twitter about it for a while. You come off as a holier than thou WWE fan when you immediately jump to WWE's defense in scenarios where it has nothing to do with them and act like no one criticizes AEW for anything when they do. I understand you're a WWE fan and want to defend the company but in this case AEW is getting criticized for it as they should be.

#6 2020-11-17 10:55:58

HeelKing

Like Ilyem, I'm an AEW fan who also doesn't care for this story in the least. I also don't understand where you're coming from with the whole "why isn't AEW being criticized more for this" question, Ryan? Tony Kahn was literally crushed for this by AEW fans to the point he had to come out and explain the tweet he made before Dynamite because fans were critical of the hype for what was eventually an Earth shaking disappointment.

Aries, my feelings aren't mixed on this at all. I hate it. I understand they do these angles because the celebrity names garner attention. At the same time these matches and stories usually aren't good. There will also be the huge issue of how do you book it? Cody is one of the most over faces in the company. Are you bringing Shaq in to play the heel? He doesn't seem to fit the role, although Cargill came off pure heel. I just feel as if this whole thing is a giant mistake.

#7 2020-11-17 15:47:01

ilyem

HeelKing wrote:

Like Ilyem, I'm an AEW fan who also doesn't care for this story in the least. I also don't understand where you're coming from with the whole "why isn't AEW being criticized more for this" question, Ryan? Tony Kahn was literally crushed for this by AEW fans to the point he had to come out and explain the tweet he made before Dynamite because fans were critical of the hype for what was eventually an Earth shaking disappointment.

Aries, my feelings aren't mixed on this at all. I hate it. I understand they do these angles because the celebrity names garner attention. At the same time these matches and stories usually aren't good. There will also be the huge issue of how do you book it? Cody is one of the most over faces in the company. Are you bringing Shaq in to play the heel? He doesn't seem to fit the role, although Cargill came off pure heel. I just feel as if this whole thing is a giant mistake.

They went about everything in a poor way too, nothing against Jade Cargill but it doesn't look like she is a trained wrestler and her mic work is very meh but she's been signed. She basically stumbled through that entire promo and it made her look like a rookie who didn't know much about what they were doing. I am hoping more so that Shaq is a distraction and they are bringing in someone else or someone already on the roster as the actual opponent. Either way, she needs some serious mic work before she's gonna be taken seriously. It seems like she could be good if she gets the proper training, but time will only tell on this. I am hoping the backlash they've gotten is enough to have them take that off the table completely if it is Shaq. I don't mind if he comes out and hosts an episode of Dynamite and maybe throws a punch but there is no need for him to be in a feud with Cody that runs long or short term. So fingers crossed that its a distraction. If they don't know what to do with Cody right now, take him off TV until something comes up, I don't mind Cody but her seriously locked himself into a never ending series of midcard matches with him being out of the main title picture.

#8 2020-11-18 12:33:25

HC13 Aries Styles

ilyem wrote:
HeelKing wrote:

They went about everything in a poor way too, nothing against Jade Cargill but it doesn't look like she is a trained wrestler and her mic work is very meh but she's been signed. She basically stumbled through that entire promo and it made her look like a rookie who didn't know much about what they were doing. I am hoping more so that Shaq is a distraction and they are bringing in someone else or someone already on the roster as the actual opponent. Either way, she needs some serious mic work before she's gonna be taken seriously. It seems like she could be good if she gets the proper training, but time will only tell on this. I am hoping the backlash they've gotten is enough to have them take that off the table completely if it is Shaq. I don't mind if he comes out and hosts an episode of Dynamite and maybe throws a punch but there is no need for him to be in a feud with Cody that runs long or short term. So fingers crossed that its a distraction. If they don't know what to do with Cody right now, take him off TV until something comes up, I don't mind Cody but her seriously locked himself into a never ending series of midcard matches with him being out of the main title picture.

First off I kinda think the idea of Shaq vs Cody was brought up between Tony Kahn and TNT executives to do something to cross promote AEW and the NBA on TNT...  This really have network written all over it....   Next I don't know how they would book or build such with both being popular, I neither see Shaq being a heel,  but I could see Cody being a heel thus they could turn him??    Now with Jade she is young, reading about her I guess the reason she being assoicated with Shaq is her Basketball background...  Next she just  tried out at WWE Performance Center in April of 2019, then  began her training with AR Fox -WWA4 Academy, then Heath Miller Face to Face Wrestling School, now she a product of QT Marshall's Nightmare Factory... So she young and apparently still learning...

Board footer