You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-25 11:09:11

RyanP
Member
Registered: 2019-11-06
Posts: 360

Has AEW stuck to their original mission statement?

It’s no secret that I’m not an AEW fan but I thought I would pose this question to AEW fans and see what their thoughts are. When AEW was first announced Cody and company said they were going to be more sports oriented and less sports entertainment and they were going to have fresh new ideas They also said they were going to give people that were misused in other companies a chance to shine. They also said they were going to focus on their product and not worry about WWE and that they weren’t considering WWE competition. Let’s review Jericho/MJF musical number, a live debate and questionable gimmick matches all of which are arguably more sports entertainment oriented and less sports oriented. Do you really consider rehashing PPV names from a now defunct company fresh ideas? The biggest issue I personally see with AEW and their mission statement is the whole we don’t care about WWE statement and we aren’t gonna take anymore shots at them. They’ve not held true to that at all. Jericho,Miro,Omega,Brodie Lee and even Cody and Tony Khan have all taken shots at WWE and me personally I wouldn’t have an issue with it if they hadn’t said we don’t care about WWE and were not going to take shots at them but then they turned around and did just that by taking shots at WWE. Bottom line is that AEW has been successful there’s no questioning that but I think even the most diehard AEW fans will admit that when in it comes to their original mission statement that they have quite clearly veered off the path of what they originally said they were going to do and be as a company. What do the AEW fans on here think about this topic? Do you agree or disagree with my views on this topic? I’m very intrigued to hear what y’all think about this topic? I also realize that with this particular topic that I’m probably going to be met with some hostility but that’s to be expected because AEW fans are passionate about their product/company and I can’t fault them for that. Have a wonderful day everyone!!

Last edited by RyanP (2020-10-25 11:09:36)

Offline

#2 2020-10-25 14:26:56

Majin Tween
WNS Secretary
From: File City
Registered: 2019-10-05
Posts: 54
Website Twitter
XMPP:
XMPP XMPP
()

Re: Has AEW stuck to their original mission statement?

I am an AEW fan, and I don't feel that they've necessarily stuck to their "authentic sports" presentation. The win/loss records do make it feel like that, but they've done a lot of things that are not part of that ideal. It doesn't bother me, as I don't really want to watch an authentic sports presentation. I like wrestling to feel fun, which I do consider the shows to be a lot of the time. They're not perfect, there's stuff I don't find interesting, but of all the wrestling companies right now they're doing the best job of keeping me interested. So that's something.

Offline

#3 2020-10-25 15:30:53

HeelKing
Member
Registered: 2020-04-25
Posts: 162

Re: Has AEW stuck to their original mission statement?

AEW fan here, as well. I'd agree, they haven't entirely stuck to their initial plan of presenting a more "sports" type feel- and I'm honestly glad. Impact made a title a few years ago- the Grand Championship- which had judges and stuff, and they tried presenting it as some type of weird wrestling/MMA/Boxing type hybrid. It was supposed to be more 'real' feeling, but I hated it. As an MMA fan, too, I'd just watch MMA if I wanted authentic. AEW adding the records and the rankings was a nice touch, and that's about as much as I want.

It's too early to judge if they're going to push new talent because it takes time to build new talent. They can't simply put the World Title on Jungle Boy out of the gate because people don't know him. I think they're making stars out of Jungle Boy, Darby Allin, MJF and a few others to lesser extents.

When they say they don't care about WWE, that's partially a lie- but the same is true on the other side. Neither can entirely not care what the other is doing because they're competing, which makes wrestling better as a whole.

I'll echo what Majin said- AEW isn't perfect, and there are things I don't care for. The musical bit with MJF & Jericho was awful and they've made some booking choices such as what they're doing with the Bucks that have been puzzling. End of the day though, it's the product I most enjoy to watch. They do a lot right such as focusing on tag teams and presenting different styles of wrestling. Plus they don't script promos. I'd give them a solid B+ for their first year.

Offline

#4 2020-10-25 15:31:58

RyanP
Member
Registered: 2019-11-06
Posts: 360

Re: Has AEW stuck to their original mission statement?

Majin Tween wrote:

I am an AEW fan, and I don't feel that they've necessarily stuck to their "authentic sports" presentation. The win/loss records do make it feel like that, but they've done a lot of things that are not part of that ideal. It doesn't bother me, as I don't really want to watch an authentic sports presentation. I like wrestling to feel fun, which I do consider the shows to be a lot of the time. They're not perfect, there's stuff I don't find interesting, but of all the wrestling companies right now they're doing the best job of keeping me interested. So that's something.

Fair enough. I just find it interesting that when WWE announces they are doing something different like when the McMahons came out and said they were going to listen to the fans when it comes to making decisions and then when they clearly didn’t do that they got crucified by the fans and justifiably so for not doing what they said they would do. So I guess my question is shouldn’t AEW be subjected to that same criticism since they are guilty of doing something similar by not keeping their word on several things they announced that they were going to do when they first started. Maybe I’m reading too much into it but it just seems to me like there is a lot of hypocrisy in the
fanbase of both companies when it comes to judging their products and actions. Let me clarify that I’m not in anyway calling you specifically a hypocrite but i was just making a general observation about both fanbases. There are good fans in both fanbases but unfortunately the trolls get the attention instead of the actual fans. Thoughts?

Last edited by RyanP (2020-10-25 15:35:47)

Offline

#5 2020-10-25 15:43:48

HeelKing
Member
Registered: 2020-04-25
Posts: 162

Re: Has AEW stuck to their original mission statement?

RyanP wrote:
Majin Tween wrote:

I am an AEW fan, and I don't feel that they've necessarily stuck to their "authentic sports" presentation. The win/loss records do make it feel like that, but they've done a lot of things that are not part of that ideal. It doesn't bother me, as I don't really want to watch an authentic sports presentation. I like wrestling to feel fun, which I do consider the shows to be a lot of the time. They're not perfect, there's stuff I don't find interesting, but of all the wrestling companies right now they're doing the best job of keeping me interested. So that's something.

Fair enough. I just find it interesting that when WWE announces they are doing something different like when the McMahons came out and said they were going to listen to the fans when it comes to making decisions and then when they clearly didn’t do that they got crucified by the fans and justifiably so for not doing what they said they would do. So I guess my question is shouldn’t AEW be subjected to that same criticism since they are guilty of doing something similar by not keeping their word on several things they announced that they were going to do when they first started. Maybe I’m reading too much into it but it just seems to me like there is a lot of hypocrisy in the
fanbase of both companies when it comes to judging their products and actions. Let me clarify that I’m not in anyway calling you specifically a hypocrite but i was just making a general observation about both fanbases. There are good fans in both fanbases but unfortunately the trolls get the attention instead of the actual fans. Thoughts?

Entirely different scenarios, I feel. I don't think wrestling fans were clamoring for a 'sports feel' to the product. So many fans have been desperate for WWE to hear their voice for years, though. That's why there was more backlash, I think. The McMahons essentially went real life heel there claiming they were going to listen and didn't. The funny thing is they finally turned Roman, have made some other tweaks- and credit where it's due, they have a better product now.

Offline

#6 2020-10-25 16:21:18

RyanP
Member
Registered: 2019-11-06
Posts: 360

Re: Has AEW stuck to their original mission statement?

HeelKing wrote:
RyanP wrote:
Majin Tween wrote:

I am an AEW fan, and I don't feel that they've necessarily stuck to their "authentic sports" presentation. The win/loss records do make it feel like that, but they've done a lot of things that are not part of that ideal. It doesn't bother me, as I don't really want to watch an authentic sports presentation. I like wrestling to feel fun, which I do consider the shows to be a lot of the time. They're not perfect, there's stuff I don't find interesting, but of all the wrestling companies right now they're doing the best job of keeping me interested. So that's something.

Fair enough. I just find it interesting that when WWE announces they are doing something different like when the McMahons came out and said they were going to listen to the fans when it comes to making decisions and then when they clearly didn’t do that they got crucified by the fans and justifiably so for not doing what they said they would do. So I guess my question is shouldn’t AEW be subjected to that same criticism since they are guilty of doing something similar by not keeping their word on several things they announced that they were going to do when they first started. Maybe I’m reading too much into it but it just seems to me like there is a lot of hypocrisy in the
fanbase of both companies when it comes to judging their products and actions. Let me clarify that I’m not in anyway calling you specifically a hypocrite but i was just making a general observation about both fanbases. There are good fans in both fanbases but unfortunately the trolls get the attention instead of the actual fans. Thoughts?

Entirely different scenarios, I feel. I don't think wrestling fans were clamoring for a 'sports feel' to the product. So many fans have been desperate for WWE to hear their voice for years, though. That's why there was more backlash, I think. The McMahons essentially went real life heel there claiming they were going to listen and didn't. The funny thing is they finally turned Roman, have made some other tweaks- and credit where it's due, they have a better product now.

Personally I don’t think whether the fans were clamoring for it or not is relevant because as a company wrestling or otherwise when you say you’re going to do something then fail to do what you said you would do then you deserve the same criticism as any other company gets for doing the same/similar thing but I see your point about WWE not listening to their fanbase for awhile or at least part of their fanbase when it comes to the decisions they make because to be fair some fans did like the product that WWE was/is putting out. I just think that if your going to criticize one company for doing something then you should also criticize the other company for doing the same/similar thing. Otherwise your going to get labeled a troll/Mark and no ones going to give any credence to your viewpoint. You and Majin are the most mature AEW fans I’ve ever seen on here and I thank you for that. You guys give the AEW fanbase a good name.

Last edited by RyanP (2020-10-25 16:22:13)

Offline

#7 2020-10-25 18:19:05

Aj29051994
Member
Registered: 2020-04-07
Posts: 131

Re: Has AEW stuck to their original mission statement?

What company does ever stick to their original statement? Whether it’s AEW giving their original statement when they first started, to WWE saying they are going to listen to the fans, or when TNA became Impact Wrestling and was plugging it as the show where you will see more wrestling because wrestling matters, none of them have stuck to their original statements. Have AEW took numerous shots at WWE? Yes. Have WWE fired back once or twice? Yes. For me it’s the nature of how things will be from AEW due to the performers having the freedom of speech as soon as they have a mic in their hand, unlike the WWE performers who do not have that freedom when they have a mic in their hand. At the end of the day the companies are only interested in making money and if that means they lie to the fans then they will not hesitate too as long as they are getting the money from commercial deals and from the fans, obviously if they are not making money the companies do not exist. As long as they keep drawing us in with false statements, that is all that matters to the companies, not sticking to their statements which is what matters to us fans.

Offline

#8 2020-10-25 22:02:19

Majin Tween
WNS Secretary
From: File City
Registered: 2019-10-05
Posts: 54
Website Twitter
XMPP:
XMPP XMPP
()

Re: Has AEW stuck to their original mission statement?

I think enough companies honor that "sports-like" presentation. ROH, NJPW, etc.

I'm not personally into that. It's the same reason I like Dragon Ball Z. Larger than life characters in a unique world where things are settled by fights.

I don't want it to feel real, honestly. I mean, I don't want that Russo-style "it's a shoot! *wink*" thing, but I think wrestling is better when it's storyline/character driven and full of segments and stuff. The attitude era was still cartoony to a certain extent.

Offline

#9 2020-10-27 15:13:26

HC13 Aries Styles
Member
Registered: 2019-11-17
Posts: 481

Re: Has AEW stuck to their original mission statement?

I kinda think they a mix of both..... As much as they didn't want to be a "entertainment" company, they are and well to be honest in such a business have to be.... But at the same time they have stuck to their guns about being "sports based" with the ranking and record system....  Plus with the reality some people gets banged up really bad with some selling injuries...  I think Cody would be a the prefect example of one who sold his injuries and was gone for a month after his loss the Brodie Lee... Then in some cases there are 3 or 4 guys in AEW right now who barely sell an move/ esp when you know the move hurt them...

Last edited by HC13 Aries Styles (2020-10-27 15:15:22)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB
Modded by krysti.engineer