You are not logged in.

#1 2020-06-22 15:54:29

RyanP
Member
Registered: 2019-11-06
Posts: 317

Sammy Guevara’s insensitive comment about Sasha Banks

The wrestling world is a buzz again because of the insensitive comments Sammy Guevara made about wanting to rape Sasha Banks. There is a slew of questions that could be asked with this topic but I’m going to veer away from the multitude of questions and just state my thoughts on this subject. Sammy’s comment about raping Sasha is just repulsive whether it was intended as a joke or not you don’t make jokes about something like that. Another interesting thing is the fan response to this subject. There are fans that are actually defending Sammy. I mean seriously how big of an AEW Mark do you have to be defend Sammy’s repulsive comment. I guarantee you that if Sammy was on the WWE roster right now the fans that are defending him would be calling for him to be fired and if that doesn’t open your eyes to the hypocrisy of wrestling fans then you must be blind. AEW suspended him indefinitely without pay and said his pay would get donated to a women’s charity in Jacksonville. Do you think the punishment fits the crime? Or is Tony Khan being a hypocrite since he just banned Hogan from AEW because of his racist comments. Should Sammy be fired? I think so. What are y’all’s thoughts on this subject? On a side note if anyone turns this into a name calling Victim shaming thread I will report your ass immediately.

Offline

#2 2020-06-22 16:21:44

HeelKing
Member
Registered: 2020-04-25
Posts: 158

Re: Sammy Guevara’s insensitive comment about Sasha Banks

Sammy's comments were wrong. Joking or not, there's no defense for it. I can't say if the punishment is fair or not because as of now we don't know what "indefinitely" is.

In fairness to AEW fans, though, we're not all defending him.

Let's also not forget WWE so far has been uneven handing out punishments, too. Gallagher was terminated almost immediately; while Riddle was bumped up to Smackdown, and appears primed for a significant push. Should Riddle be fired? If you feel he should, then I can't disagree with you feeling Sammy should be fired.

It's going to be a slippery slope here. Given the broad nature of this, I have no idea how these promotions are going to handle it.

Offline

#3 2020-06-22 16:35:53

RyanP
Member
Registered: 2019-11-06
Posts: 317

Re: Sammy Guevara’s insensitive comment about Sasha Banks

HeelKing wrote:

Sammy's comments were wrong. Joking or not, there's no defense for it. I can't say if the punishment is fair or not because as of now we don't know what "indefinitely" is.

In fairness to AEW fans, though, we're not all defending him.

Let's also not forget WWE so far has been uneven handing out punishments, too. Gallagher was terminated almost immediately; while Riddle was bumped up to Smackdown, and appears primed for a significant push. Should Riddle be fired? If you feel he should, then I can't disagree with you feeling Sammy should be fired.

It's going to be a slippery slope here. Given the broad nature of this, I have no idea how these promotions are going to handle it.

You’re right not all AEW fans are defending him but the ones that are are straight up AEW marks that believe anyone and anything AEW related is perfect with no flaws. Now I’m not saying you are one of them or that they represent the majority of the fanbase because they don’t and you clearly aren’t one of them but they do exist and they are taking over comment sections on multiple wrestling sites. I see your point on the punishment. It’s a wait and see game because if they keep him off tv until this blows over with no repercussions except suspended with no pay then I don’t think that’s right. What are your thoughts on on Tony Khan in regards to this situation? To me it seems like he’s being a hypocrite. If your going to ban a legend like Hulk Hogan from your events because of racist comments he made then shouldn’t Sammy Guevara be subjected to the same thing by being fired. I will agree that it is a slippery slope and it doesn’t help that the comment sections are flooded with immature wrestling fans that see nothing wrong with his comments. That to me is more disturbing then the comments themselves.

Offline

#4 2020-06-22 16:56:02

Tommy
Member
Registered: 2019-11-03
Posts: 163

Re: Sammy Guevara’s insensitive comment about Sasha Banks

Sammy should be fired. I love how Kahn supports this movement and that movement yet when one of his talents get caught up negatively in it he turns the other way and "suspends" him. We all know this suspension means go home and wait for this to blow over. Vince faced criticism several times for turning the other way. Let's see Kahn get defended for doing the same thing. For Kahn to stand up and speak out in support of movements yet does virtually nothing shows what a fraud he is. Everyone will say "he did something, he suspended Sammy". Suspended for what, couple weeks? A month?

Offline

#5 2020-06-22 17:33:43

HeelKing
Member
Registered: 2020-04-25
Posts: 158

Re: Sammy Guevara’s insensitive comment about Sasha Banks

RyanP wrote:

You’re right not all AEW fans are defending him but the ones that are are straight up AEW marks that believe anyone and anything AEW related is perfect with no flaws. Now I’m not saying you are one of them or that they represent the majority of the fanbase because they don’t and you clearly aren’t one of them but they do exist and they are taking over comment sections on multiple wrestling sites. I see your point on the punishment. It’s a wait and see game because if they keep him off tv until this blows over with no repercussions except suspended with no pay then I don’t think that’s right. What are your thoughts on on Tony Khan in regards to this situation? To me it seems like he’s being a hypocrite. If your going to ban a legend like Hulk Hogan from your events because of racist comments he made then shouldn’t Sammy Guevara be subjected to the same thing by being fired. I will agree that it is a slippery slope and it doesn’t help that the comment sections are flooded with immature wrestling fans that see nothing wrong with his comments. That to me is more disturbing then the comments themselves.

I'd agree, you can't just take him off tv for 2 weeks, a month, whatever, and say well we suspended him, when what they're really doing is waiting for it to blow over. It'd be too light, and there are honestly AEW performers who don't make tv for that long just because they probably don't have anything for them to do. I don't have a number in my head for what's a suitable suspension, but I feel as if it should involve completing some form of counseling or sensitivity training before his return.

I like Tony. He seems like someone who wants to do the right thing by taking stands, but also sets himself up for a lot of very fair criticisms. I can't disagree that he's positioned himself here to be very much the hypocrite, if Sammy's suspension isn't long and impactful. I can see why he didn't fire Sammy for the same reason I can see why WWE didn't fire Riddle- that fear, as a businessman, that their guy will go be a star for the other side. I'm not saying it's right, or just- but it is the ugly side of business, at times.

I think the thing with Hogan was they had no attachment to him to begin with, so from a PR standpoint, or a moral one, it was easy to say you're not welcome here. As a business, it's always going to be easier when it's not "your" guy involved to take a hard stance.

Offline

#6 2020-06-22 20:01:12

Monkey Flip
Member
Registered: 2019-11-02
Posts: 62

Re: Sammy Guevara’s insensitive comment about Sasha Banks

I guess all the people complaining about this are the same people who go to a stand up comedy show and then heckle to comedian for insulting people.

Bunch of pathetic snowflakes.

Offline

#7 2020-06-22 21:14:39

RyanP
Member
Registered: 2019-11-06
Posts: 317

Re: Sammy Guevara’s insensitive comment about Sasha Banks

Monkey Flip wrote:

I guess all the people complaining about this are the same people who go to a stand up comedy show and then heckle to comedian for insulting people.

Bunch of pathetic snowflakes.

Don’t say I didn’t warn you. Reported.

Offline

#8 2020-06-23 02:32:32

Monkey Flip
Member
Registered: 2019-11-02
Posts: 62

Re: Sammy Guevara’s insensitive comment about Sasha Banks

RyanP wrote:
Monkey Flip wrote:

I guess all the people complaining about this are the same people who go to a stand up comedy show and then heckle to comedian for insulting people.

Bunch of pathetic snowflakes.

Don’t say I didn’t warn you. Reported.

Ya gonna report me for posting my opinion on an Internet forum?

This is exactly what’s wrong with the world today. Too many entitled  snowflakes have come out of the woodwork with this mindset of “You must agree with my opinion or I’m going to report you because your opinion hurts my feelings”.

The very fact that somebody took the time to go back 4 years to the year 2016, to pull out a sound byte of Sammy Guevara from a podcast, and then claim that that sound byte offends them 4 years later, is pathetic.

Nobody said they were offended by the sound byte 4 years ago. So why are they offended by it now?  Because it’s a bunch of snowflakes jumping on the bandwagon, that’s why.

Is rape bad? Yes.
Are rape jokes bad? No.

Does rape harm people? Yes.
Do rape jokes harm people? No.

Is rape illegal? Yes.
Are rape jokes illegal? No.

There’s a difference. Snowflake.

Last edited by Monkey Flip (2020-06-23 02:36:32)

Offline

#9 2020-06-23 07:39:00

RyanP
Member
Registered: 2019-11-06
Posts: 317

Re: Sammy Guevara’s insensitive comment about Sasha Banks

Monkey Flip wrote:
RyanP wrote:
Monkey Flip wrote:

I guess all the people complaining about this are the same people who go to a stand up comedy show and then heckle to comedian for insulting people.

Bunch of pathetic snowflakes.

Don’t say I didn’t warn you. Reported.

Ya gonna report me for posting my opinion on an Internet forum?

This is exactly what’s wrong with the world today. Too many entitled  snowflakes have come out of the woodwork with this mindset of “You must agree with my opinion or I’m going to report you because your opinion hurts my feelings”.

The very fact that somebody took the time to go back 4 years to the year 2016, to pull out a sound byte of Sammy Guevara from a podcast, and then claim that that sound byte offends them 4 years later, is pathetic.

Nobody said they were offended by the sound byte 4 years ago. So why are they offended by it now?  Because it’s a bunch of snowflakes jumping on the bandwagon, that’s why.

Is rape bad? Yes.
Are rape jokes bad? No.

Does rape harm people? Yes.
Do rape jokes harm people? No.

Is rape illegal? Yes.
Are rape jokes illegal? No.

There’s a difference. Snowflake.


I didn’t report you because you didn’t agree with me. I reported you because instead of being mature while voicing your opinion you decided to start calling people snowflakes that disagreed with you. You say that people like me are the problem because I got offended by your snowflake insult and that isn’t true. People like you are the problem. People that can’t voice their opinion without name calling and insulting people because they don’t agree with you. Also if you had read my original message on this topic that I started then you would have seen that I clearly said I was going to report anyone that started name calling hence my don’t say I didn’t warn you response to your original comment.

Offline

#10 2020-06-23 11:10:34

ilyem
Member
Registered: 2020-03-05
Posts: 95

Re: Sammy Guevara’s insensitive comment about Sasha Banks

Monkey Flip wrote:
RyanP wrote:
Monkey Flip wrote:

I guess all the people complaining about this are the same people who go to a stand up comedy show and then heckle to comedian for insulting people.

Bunch of pathetic snowflakes.

Don’t say I didn’t warn you. Reported.

Ya gonna report me for posting my opinion on an Internet forum?

This is exactly what’s wrong with the world today. Too many entitled  snowflakes have come out of the woodwork with this mindset of “You must agree with my opinion or I’m going to report you because your opinion hurts my feelings”.

The very fact that somebody took the time to go back 4 years to the year 2016, to pull out a sound byte of Sammy Guevara from a podcast, and then claim that that sound byte offends them 4 years later, is pathetic.

Nobody said they were offended by the sound byte 4 years ago. So why are they offended by it now?  Because it’s a bunch of snowflakes jumping on the bandwagon, that’s why.

Is rape bad? Yes.
Are rape jokes bad? No.

Does rape harm people? Yes.
Do rape jokes harm people? No.

Is rape illegal? Yes.
Are rape jokes illegal? No.

There’s a difference. Snowflake.

Here's the thing, it's not being a 'snowflake' to be upset when someone says "i'm gonna rape you" or "I just wanted to rape her" that's creepy, scary, and downright gross. Rape jokes are bad and hurtful, especially to those who have gone through being sexually assaulted, Rape jokes aren't dark humor, they aren't funny, they are gross.

What Sammy said was disgusting and wrong, he did owe and apology to Sasha and he needed to answer for his words. Freedom of Speech doesn't protect you from the court of public opinion.

You just sounds like a dude who is mad that he can't make rape jokes anymore and that bums you out because that's probably the only humor you have.

Offline

#11 2020-06-25 18:40:13

bswanson
Member
Registered: 2020-02-17
Posts: 13

Re: Sammy Guevara’s insensitive comment about Sasha Banks

ilyem wrote:
Monkey Flip wrote:
RyanP wrote:

Don’t say I didn’t warn you. Reported.

Ya gonna report me for posting my opinion on an Internet forum?

This is exactly what’s wrong with the world today. Too many entitled  snowflakes have come out of the woodwork with this mindset of “You must agree with my opinion or I’m going to report you because your opinion hurts my feelings”.

The very fact that somebody took the time to go back 4 years to the year 2016, to pull out a sound byte of Sammy Guevara from a podcast, and then claim that that sound byte offends them 4 years later, is pathetic.

Nobody said they were offended by the sound byte 4 years ago. So why are they offended by it now?  Because it’s a bunch of snowflakes jumping on the bandwagon, that’s why.

Is rape bad? Yes.
Are rape jokes bad? No.

Does rape harm people? Yes.
Do rape jokes harm people? No.

Is rape illegal? Yes.
Are rape jokes illegal? No.

There’s a difference. Snowflake.

Here's the thing, it's not being a 'snowflake' to be upset when someone says "i'm gonna rape you" or "I just wanted to rape her" that's creepy, scary, and downright gross. Rape jokes are bad and hurtful, especially to those who have gone through being sexually assaulted, Rape jokes aren't dark humor, they aren't funny, they are gross.

What Sammy said was disgusting and wrong, he did owe and apology to Sasha and he needed to answer for his words. Freedom of Speech doesn't protect you from the court of public opinion.

You just sounds like a dude who is mad that he can't make rape jokes anymore and that bums you out because that's probably the only humor you have.

i agree with you. and to the other person yes rape jokes are bad, not funny at all, and yes they can hurt actual victims or rape and if anyone finds them funny imo are horrible people

Last edited by bswanson (2020-06-25 18:41:05)

Offline

#12 2020-07-22 22:34:54

Tommy
Member
Registered: 2019-11-03
Posts: 163

Re: Sammy Guevara’s insensitive comment about Sasha Banks

Yep a month suspension just like I said. Tony Kahn says he supports this movement and that movement yet his handling of the Guevara situation says otherwise. Kahn is a fraud living off daddy's money.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB
Modded by krysti.engineer