You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-23 08:55:44

RyanP

Corporate MITB ladder match vs Stadium Stampede

Maybe y’all can help me understand something. WWE held their MITB ladder match from their corporate headquarters and they received a fair amount of criticism for it yet AEW is having a match on a football field with more praise than criticism. Why? Why is WWE getting criticized more for a gimmick match that I thought was creative than AEW is for their creative gimmick match? Is it just your typical wrestling fan hypocrisy? Or is there something I’m missing here. Don’t get me wrong I liked the Corporate MITB ladder match and I think the Stadium Stampede match has potential to be a good match but I’m just curious as to why one side(WWE) is receiving more criticism than the other side(AEW) for basically doing the same thing with two creative gimmick matches. What are your thoughts on this? Is this just your typical fan hypocrisy or is there more to it than that?

#2 2020-05-23 09:34:15

TripleT

Re: Corporate MITB ladder match vs Stadium Stampede

It's a little bit of hypocrisy and fair criticism. WWE has done little to earn the trust of wrestling fans with their 50/50 booking and nonsensical storylines, so by default AEW fans shit on any WWE creative gimmick match. I also personally enjoyed the corporate MITB ladder match and thought it was well done... but I see where AEW fans are coming from. They just dont trust WWE creative and right now AEW is blowing them out of the water in that aspect. With that being said, AEW has earned the trust of their fans with everything they do having meaning and purpose. This day on age, with social media and smart fans,  that makes a difference.  But to the hypocrisy front, it is absolutely wrong for fans to disparage and dislike something before it happens or without giving it a chance. Most dont even watch, so their opinion shouldn't count, but WWE  has to earn that trust back and it will take time. Lastly, execution is everything. The MITB match was done well, but what about every other failed effort at something like this? Besides the Undertaker/Styles match, when has WWE really been successful in this area? Maybe the Firefly Funhouse match... but most references went over casual fans heads. Bottom Line: WWE has insulted the intellegience of their fans for way too long and the ones that are true fans are departing for AEW, NJPW, MLW, etc. and calling WWE on their bullshit.

#3 2020-05-23 10:10:05

GoodOldPapa

Thats the key phrase in all that: WWE has insulted the intelligence of the fans for way too long, perfect example of that is the outcome of the main event of  the last 2 Hell In A Cell PPVs.  How do you have a no contest or a DQ in a cage match, where anything goes?  And I couldn't agree more, if you don't watch, you have no right whatsoever to be critical or offer any kind of opionion.

#4 2020-05-23 10:15:28

Tommy

The answer is simple. Crapping on one while praising the other for the same stuff is apparently the cool thing to do. WWE thinks outside the box on a concept and it's criticized. AEW does it and it's cool and an exciting change of pace. WWE uses legends and it's called a cry for help when it comes to ratings as well as time taken from a younger talent. AEW does it and it's quote of many here "good use of a legend". WWE let's go of a talent and they didn't utilize that talent correctly. That same talent goes to AEW(Pac and Spears) and barely gets TV time and when they do they usually job to someone else but they're utilized correctly in the eyes of many. Point is everything WWE does is wrong but AEW gets it right apparently. People must think I hate AEW but I gave them a chance since day one. It's their fan base that turned me off. The same fans that criticize WWE yet praise AEW for the same things.

#5 2020-05-23 10:31:06

RyanP

TripleT wrote:

It's a little bit of hypocrisy and fair criticism. WWE has done little to earn the trust of wrestling fans with their 50/50 booking and nonsensical storylines, so by default AEW fans shit on any WWE creative gimmick match. I also personally enjoyed the corporate MITB ladder match and thought it was well done... but I see where AEW fans are coming from. They just dont trust WWE creative and right now AEW is blowing them out of the water in that aspect. With that being said, AEW has earned the trust of their fans with everything they do having meaning and purpose. This day on age, with social media and smart fans,  that makes a difference.  But to the hypocrisy front, it is absolutely wrong for fans to disparage and dislike something before it happens or without giving it a chance. Most dont even watch, so their opinion shouldn't count, but WWE  has to earn that trust back and it will take time. Lastly, execution is everything. The MITB match was done well, but what about every other failed effort at something like this? Besides the Undertaker/Styles match, when has WWE really been successful in this area? Maybe the Firefly Funhouse match... but most references went over casual fans heads. Bottom Line: WWE has insulted the intellegience of their fans for way too long and the ones that are true fans are departing for AEW, NJPW, MLW, etc. and calling WWE on their bullshit.

I see your point about the WWE insulting the intelligence of their fans but I still think the majority of fans are being hypocritical on it simply because it’s WWE. That’s not to say that you aren’t correct about some fans feeling like their intelligence is being insulted but the majority of the comments I see are fans being straight up hypocritical. Hypocrisy Examples. WWE uses WCW matches/PPV names like Starcade and the War Games match and they get crucified for it yet AEW does the same thing by using Bash at the Beach and a match similar to War Games without being criticized. WWE signs too many superstars gets an overstocked roster and gets criticized for too big of a roster and not enough tv time and while AEW hasn’t gotten that far yet they are definitely on that path but they don’t receive the criticism that WWE does. WWE gets criticized for veterans/HOF’s taking time away from younger talent yet AEW does it with DDP,Jake Roberts,Arn Anderson,Dean Malenko and Tully Blanchard with no criticism. The gimmick matches that I made this topic about is just another example of the hypocrisy of wrestling fans. Make no mistake Triple T I believe you are correct about fans feeling that their intelligence is being insulted and WWE does need to earn some fan trust back but I still think the majority of fans are just being hypocritical.

Last edited by RyanP (2020-05-23 10:32:15)

#6 2020-05-23 11:27:02

RyanP

Tommy wrote:

The answer is simple. Crapping on one while praising the other for the same stuff is apparently the cool thing to do. WWE thinks outside the box on a concept and it's criticized. AEW does it and it's cool and an exciting change of pace. WWE uses legends and it's called a cry for help when it comes to ratings as well as time taken from a younger talent. AEW does it and it's quote of many here "good use of a legend". WWE let's go of a talent and they didn't utilize that talent correctly. That same talent goes to AEW(Pac and Spears) and barely gets TV time and when they do they usually job to someone else but they're utilized correctly in the eyes of many. Point is everything WWE does is wrong but AEW gets it right apparently. People must think I hate AEW but I gave them a chance since day one. It's their fan base that turned me off. The same fans that criticize WWE yet praise AEW for the same things.

I feel the same way dude. The fanbase and their blind following and refusal to accept any criticism of the product is what turned me off. I don’t hate AEW either but I’m also not going be a naive fan that puts blinders on and claims everything AEW does is great and that they are perfect and won’t accept criticism of AEW’s product. On the flip side there are WWE fans that do the same thing and that turns people off the WWE product  as well.

#7 2020-05-23 12:45:02

Kanejb

I never watch WWE , and won't until Vince is gone, so I can't speak on them, bit I am looking forward to the stadium stampede. I love that aew is trying different things. Outdoor venues, cruise ships, now the Jags stadium. I hope they go back to the mall of America as well. Anyone critical of AEW trying new things is just a closet WWE mark hoping they fail

#8 2020-05-23 13:38:51

RyanP

Kanejb wrote:

I never watch WWE , and won't until Vince is gone, so I can't speak on them, bit I am looking forward to the stadium stampede. I love that aew is trying different things. Outdoor venues, cruise ships, now the Jags stadium. I hope they go back to the mall of America as well. Anyone critical of AEW trying new things is just a closet WWE mark hoping they fail

Anyone who is critical of WWE for trying new things is just a closet AEW mark hoping they fail. My point with that statement is that when it comes to fans hoping for failure and being hypocritical is that it is a TWO way street. Both WWE and AEW have fans that are like that and to try and deny that they don’t is ridiculous in my opinion. I don’t deny that WWE has fans like that or that they have things they can improve on the product. Are you going to deny that AEW doesn’t have fans like that or that AEW isn’t perfect and has things that they can work on to make their product better. Because if you deny that either of those is true then you sir are the mark in this situation.

#9 2020-05-24 18:24:15

Ben Kerin
Director of WNS
Website
Facebook Twitter Instagram
XMPP:
XMPP XMPP
()

I enjoyed Stadium Stampede much more. I think AEW has done a much better job of dealing with no crowds than WWE. It might be the fact WWE is stuck in a tiny gym, whereas AEW has had bigger venues and the stadium. The Money In The Bank match felt a little over produced.

Board footer