You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-09 13:07:06

Y2JFanatic

AEW not having a ppv every month, good idea or bad marketing???

I think it's the best idea really and I really hope this will be a forever thing... AEW having a ppv like every three or 4 months. I think the reason is that Tony felt that fans buying ppvs monthly is unfair for them and another reason for the long periods between ppvs is that he wants plenty of time for storylines leading up to ppv. Give plenty of time for buildup of matches 'cause WWE seems to rush of build up. AEW wants to take their slow time... give fans plenty of time to decide whether or not they want to buy their ppvs.

This is why WWE ppv buys and WWE Network ratings of ppvs are dropping 'cause they have ppvs monthly. AEW wants to do things differently... having ppvs every three or four months or so gives fans plenty of room which is how they are able to draw in large ppv buys.

Tony is definitely a smart marketer and I love how he's handling all of this. I hope AEW keeps it this way... I think they just want to make things affordable for fans which is another reason they draw a lot of ppvs buys.

I've seen every AEW ppv ever since they started and looking forward to the next "Double Or Nothing" show later this month.

Thoughts????

#2 2020-05-09 15:05:06

GoodOldPapa

Re: AEW not having a ppv every month, good idea or bad marketing???

I agree, they're doing it right, and the fans hopefully feel like they're getting their money's worth, with the proper amount of time to build in between each PPV.

#3 2020-05-09 16:54:18

HeelKing

I completely agree with you, and their philosophy here. The longer builds have felt the feuds and matches feel more meaningful, which in turn has given every PPV a bigger feel. They are events, and I don't mind the price point if I'm seeing an 'event' I feel as if I don't want to miss. Plus they don't burn through their marquee match ups as fast.

The WWE, to their credit, has a great price point for their PPVs with the network. The problem is most of their events don't feel special. The only event they do that I get the itch to watch is the Royal Rumble, and that's because I've always loved the Royal Rumble match itself. AEW has done well to avoid this.

Last edited by HeelKing (2020-05-09 16:54:56)

#4 2020-05-09 21:19:08

Kanejb

I think every other month is perfect. Having one ever 3 weeks like WWE cheapens it. Not to mention they are free. A lot of "ppv" started feeling like episodes of raw. Although that is the one of many things wrong with WWE.

#5 2020-05-12 22:53:22

HC13 Aries Styles

I think the 4 PPV a year is a good thing right now... 
Also  I think if they want to expand they  could eventually do monthly specials  with months there is no PPV, like Fight For the Fallen,  Fyter Fest, Maybe Blood & Guts even when they can return to normal?  Thus giving the talent another day to work a month another pay day...

#6 2020-05-16 08:12:53

HeelKing

HC13 Aries Styles wrote:

Also  I think if they want to expand they  could eventually do monthly specials  with months there is no PPV, like Fight For the Fallen,  Fyter Fest, Maybe Blood & Guts even when they can return to normal?  Thus giving the talent another day to work a month another pay day...

I worry about them doing anything monthly for two reasons:

1. WWE has proven it's hard to build programs that feel meaningful on a monthly basis. They utilize a lot of gimmick matches as a workaround, which helps some months. Royal Rumble, 'Mania, MiTB and Survivor Series can sell themselves at the $10 price point with the Network. If AEW is going to price these at $50 a month though, they'd need to feel special.

2. AEW is working with a smaller roster. They'd run the risk of burning through a lot of feuds quickly if they aren't able to rapidly develop new and younger stars.

#7 2020-05-17 00:09:23

HC13 Aries Styles

HeelKing wrote:
HC13 Aries Styles wrote:

I worry about them doing anything monthly for two reasons:

1. WWE has proven it's hard to build programs that feel meaningful on a monthly basis. They utilize a lot of gimmick matches as a workaround, which helps some months. Royal Rumble, 'Mania, MiTB and Survivor Series can sell themselves at the $10 price point with the Network. If AEW is going to price these at $50 a month though, they'd need to feel special.

2. AEW is working with a smaller roster. They'd run the risk of burning through a lot of feuds quickly if they aren't able to rapidly develop new and younger stars.

So Far AEW was doing a great job before the virus shut down the world..  Esp with their weekly shows... With AEW only way to build and expand their fan base is to expand their product..  Another show or Special  be it tape delay (as Saturday Night Main Event was) or something like Clash of the Champions (NWA/WCW)...  No where did I say every event should be a PPV, a monthly special something on FREE-TV/TNT  or Streaming Free on Bleacher-Report or even shop it around to Network TV to air them (NBC, CBS, ABC, CW)...
Next AEW don't have no small roster with 58 men and 18 women... plus the enhancement talent they been using for Dark and squash matches...    They have room to change up things, plenty...

#8 2020-05-17 11:59:56

HeelKing

I misunderstood what you were saying, since we were discussing PPVs. Apologies there. If it's free, then hey...

I do stand by my point that their roster is still small, though. It might not appear that way in number, but it is in name value. They can change that. I believe they're going to change that. It will not happen overnight, though. It takes time.

Right now their main event stars are Mox, Jericho, Omega, Cody. Hardy, Hager, MJF and Dustin might be known enough to headline a card, too. Page, Allin, Guevara, Cabana, Archer, Sky... they can get there, but I see them more in the secondary title picture for now. I just don't want to see them rush to do something until they're ready, and these characters are fleshed out a bit.

#9 2020-05-22 12:22:57

HC13 Aries Styles

Well anyhow I still think they have enough talent to expand their product be it a 2nd show or be it monthly specials...

Board footer