You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-21 18:13:30

AdyFB

Owen Hart...

21 Years ago today Owen Hart passed away in a tragic accident at WWF Over The Edge 1999.

What was your favourite match of Owen Hart's?
Should WWF have cancelled the rest of the event?
Should Martha and Owen's family allow WWE to induct him in to their Hall Of Fame?

Discuss below...

#2 2020-05-21 22:40:28

ilyem

Re: Owen Hart...

I think the PPV should have ended, it wasn’t an injury, someone died, to me, that isn’t a “the show must go on” circumstance. A lot of people had just watched a man die.

Honestly, we really have no say on if he’s in the HoF or not, I don’t think he should because it’s against the wishes of his family being his wife and children. I was a fan of his as a child, adored him and being seven or eight when he passed of course I was into the gimmick he had. As a fan maybe a HoF induction would be nice but I wasn’t his wife or his kid, ultimately I don’t know the feeling of losing someone to such a preventable death and I can’t say how I would or wouldn’t feel. All I know is Owen loved his family so I respect their wishes.

Overall, my favorite of what I rememver was always the blue blazer stuff. As an adult I really enjoy the him vs Bret fued.

#3 2020-05-22 06:34:42

Blazaholic

I hadn't been watching wrestling for too long when Owen had died. I remember him teaming with Jarrett though at the time, I loved the Dungeon match he had with Shamrock though. It wasn't until the internet came around that I got to see a lot of his other stuff.

Personally, I think they should have stopped the show. I respect everyone that was able to go out there and continue performing, and perform the following night on Raw. I can't describe the atmosphere and I've never actually seen the PPV, but how hype could the crowd possibly be after that? If I was in the crowd, I don't think I could get back into that fan mindset after seeing a man fall from the rafters.

I'm sure a lot of fans would love to see him in the HOF, and maybe one day he will be, I just don't think that day will happen while Martha and her son is still around. They don't want him in the HOF and it's perfectly understandable why, so I hope WWE will continue to respect their wishes. It's the same with dvd's for him (or whatever you'd call match highlights/documentaries. Pretty sure there's more things on the WWE network than DVD's nowadays) I'd love to see things highlighting his career, but at the same time it would be WWE making more money off of Owen's name, and it's reasonable for Martha not to want that.

#4 2020-05-22 11:46:34

Jayke1981

ilyem wrote:

I think the PPV should have ended, it wasn’t an injury, someone died, to me, that isn’t a “the show must go on” circumstance. A lot of people had just watched a man die.

Honestly, we really have no say on if he’s in the HoF or not, I don’t think he should because it’s against the wishes of his family being his wife and children. I was a fan of his as a child, adored him and being seven or eight when he passed of course I was into the gimmick he had. As a fan maybe a HoF induction would be nice but I wasn’t his wife or his kid, ultimately I don’t know the feeling of losing someone to such a preventable death and I can’t say how I would or wouldn’t feel. All I know is Owen loved his family so I respect their wishes.

Overall, my favorite of what I remember was always the blue blazer stuff. As an adult I really enjoy the him vs Bret feud.

The Show Must Go On is a mentality in all entertainment. Famously in the UK, a British comedian called Tommy Cooper died on stage during an act. Live on TV. The audience was laughing and suddenly it cut to a commercial break. The Variety show carried on, and it was only afterwards on the national news that it was revealed, Tommy had died.

Oh and for the record - Owen died on the 23rd of May not the 21st.

Let Me In

#5 2020-05-22 12:20:07

HC13 Aries Styles

As should the show had ended, I say yes... But as others have mentioned time and time again even if the World was ending and zombies was attacking  Vince McMahon would have the show still going on...

Looking at his matches, the one that will stand the test of time is his Wrestlemania match with brother Bret... But if you go back to some of his Stampede matches many great matches and feuds in them days...

As for the WWE Hall of Fame, if it don't benefit his widow and kids, it's no chance.... Thus it up to his wife and kids if such would ever happen, which probably want happen anytime soon.....

Also it's the 21 years ago on the May 23rd  his tragic death took place..

Board footer