You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-10 15:05:23

HC13 Aries Styles

Should AEW expand it's product with Monthly Specials?

Have been thinking since AEW debut with their first PPV last  year  *Double or Nothing,  as well as the 2 BR specials Fyter Fest, Fight for the Fallen...   I think as a fan they should offer more monthly specials of events of maybe even expanded Dynamites if TNT okays it...  Something to fill the void between PPVs... Something like the Clash of the Champions was to the NWA/WCW in the day...
What do y'all think should they or should they not??

#2 2020-02-10 15:22:00

Tommy

Re: Should AEW expand it's product with Monthly Specials?

Gotta remember they did Fyter Fest and Fight for The Fallen because they didn't have weekly TV yet. They needed something between DON and the start of weekly TV.

But to answer your question I'd say no. They're still too new yet to oversaturate the product. Keep it as is for now. Maybe after a year sprinkle in an extra event or two but right now no.

#3 2020-02-10 20:56:40

HC13 Aries Styles

Tommy wrote:

Gotta remember they did Fyter Fest and Fight for The Fallen because they didn't have weekly TV yet. They needed something between DON and the start of weekly TV.

But to answer your question I'd say no. They're still too new yet to oversaturate the product. Keep it as is for now. Maybe after a year sprinkle in an extra event or two but right now no.

I disagree, I think they need at least one special in between, esp with the talent they have.... Thus it no such thing as over-saturated.... Never have been a such thing esp in wrestling keep in mind in the 1980s and 1990s the NWA had 6 hours of TV 4 on TBS and 2 in syndication as well as specials  Like Superstars of the Superstation, and then Clash of the Champions...  Like wise with the WWF and there TV with 6 hours of TV  their big 4 or 5 events an year and Saturday Night Main Events 4 or 5 times an year and special events before PPVs.... 

Thus my thinking would be that extra day to work, an extra chance to learn with a TV audience..

Last edited by HC13 Aries Styles (2020-02-11 14:03:45)

#4 2020-02-10 21:09:50

HC13 Aries Styles

Another example I would also give, for  AEW having special events is.....
Keep in mind in 1988 when Turner was getting more involved with the NWA, they had 3 PPVs and 4 Clash of the Champions.... Another reason would be to keep the feuds fresh, some can be short, some can be long esp Main event feuds..

#5 2020-02-11 07:01:05

TripleT

Too many monthly specials waters down the product. Once a quarter harkens back to the old days of 4/5 PPVs a year and each one of them seriously meaning something. I lwill use the old WCW product for example. Great American Bash (War Games), Starrcade,  Halloween Havoc and Bash at the Beach (I'm sure I'm missing one or two) made for build ups that meant something and settled fueds and started new ones. One of the problems I have with the current WWE product is they force gimmick PPVs where they dont fit just because of the time of the year. WWE with it's big four PPVs used to hit the nail on the head just like WCW did, now they don't, so a monthly special for AEW would be overkill.

#6 2020-02-11 10:46:05

22ten91

I think a themed show every now and then is nice. I don't think they need to have major specials for blow off feuds. I will say, I was a bit wary at first with their schedule, but seeing things play out right about now has been nice. Looking at the two bigger stories (Jericho/Moxley and Cody/MJF) slowly play out has been very nice and they make it work. Seeing their other stories kind of slowly develop has been nice to see as well. I think their story telling has been great to make it last between shows and it also has the opportunity to build big moments on TV and not just wait for some random PPV to do it.

With all that being said, I think they are doing fine as is. I will not be surprised if at some point they do move from quarterly events to maybe bi-monthly events or even 5 per year, similar to NXT actually, now that I think about it. And I think it works perfectly for them as well.

#7 2020-02-11 14:17:48

HC13 Aries Styles

I think the big thing I'm getting at is exposure and growing their product.... Without ample time only 3 hours per week, 4 or 5 tapings an month depending on how the month comes and go..   With say the extra hour or two hours could add to current storylines as well build new ones...    Like I said in earlier post NWA/WCW had  Clash of the Champions 4 times a year to fill the void...  Also WWF had Saturday Night Main Event to fill the time between their bigger and PPV events..... Yes it just may be my opinion with their schedule of only 4 PPVs  maybe doing 4 or 5 maybe even 6 special events in between to fill the time and to expand their product,  cause with right now only 51 weekly shows/tapings an year and 4 PPVs only so many places they can go and so many places that will be left out that they didn't go to...

#8 2020-02-13 11:16:13

GoodOldPapa

Tommy wrote:

I have to agree with Tommy on this as well.  Not just yet, especially if its gonna be events that they're asking the fans to shell out money for.  WWE has way too many, and if it wasn't for the WWE Network, it would be plain stupid to have 14 or so PPVs each year and ask your fanbase to pay the going rate for them.  WWE and WCW had the right balance back in the day with 4 PPVs per year, plus sprinkling in the TV specials from time to time, provider them with the proverbial appetizer to get them by before delivering the main course.  AEW may explore that down the road, but leave it as is for now.

#9 2020-02-13 14:04:15

HC13 Aries Styles

GoodOldPapa wrote:
Tommy wrote:

I have to agree with Tommy on this as well.  Not just yet, especially if its gonna be events that they're asking the fans to shell out money for.  WWE has way too many, and if it wasn't for the WWE Network, it would be plain stupid to have 14 or so PPVs each year and ask your fanbase to pay the going rate for them.  WWE and WCW had the right balance back in the day with 4 PPVs per year, plus sprinkling in the TV specials from time to time, provider them with the proverbial appetizer to get them by before delivering the main course.  AEW may explore that down the road, but leave it as is for now.

I'm talking about TV specials and such as ....   Something like Saturday Night Main Event or Clash of the Champions to fill the void between the 4 PPVs... Go the route of Free Tv as well as they could experiment with what days would work such be it Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday or even the weekend??
I feel it can work now with the size of the roster,  the time they are alotted now only 3 hours a week  8, 9 maybe 10 matches  if timed right...  Plus again more exposure, only having 2 hours a week on TV don't cut it really..

Last edited by HC13 Aries Styles (2020-02-13 14:08:52)

#10 2020-02-17 18:07:50

GoodOldPapa

If they do that, maybe they could have an event in the same arena either the night before or after Dynamite, since they're already gonna be in town anyway.  It would be a matter of figuring out what the best night would be, and whether to have it on TNT or TBS, since I presume they're still owned by the same company.

Board footer