#1 2021-05-05 22:02:44

Ben Kerin
Director of WNS
Website
Facebook Twitter Instagram
XMPP:
benkerin@wrestlr.me XMPP XMPP
(offline)

Thoughts on first-ever AEW Blood & Guts match?

It was crimson...It was messy!

...and it featured some Crash Pads!

Some are saying the ending was worse than the ring explosion, but overall the match delivered on big spots and some memorable moments. The adverts annoyed some from a storytelling perspective - maybe this match is best left to a PPV in the future, however, I watched on FITE and didn't miss any of the action.

Does AEW have a problem with endings or are people being too critical?

What do you think of the match?

#2 2021-05-06 05:34:08

TSG

Re: Thoughts on first-ever AEW Blood & Guts match?

While not the greatest choreographed fall from the top of the cage ending ever, it wasn't meant to be that. The dude isn't young anymore. It was about the storytelling and symbolism of what just happened. It further elevated MJF going forward. The match itself was intense and really delivered in my opinion especially for being on television. Was the ending lackluster? Sure from a "spot" standpoint but you have to look deeper than that.

#3 2021-05-06 08:57:09

Ben Kerin
Director of WNS
Website
Facebook Twitter Instagram
XMPP:
benkerin@wrestlr.me XMPP XMPP
(offline)

TSG wrote:

While not the greatest choreographed fall from the top of the cage ending ever, it wasn't meant to be that. The dude isn't young anymore. It was about the storytelling and symbolism of what just happened. It further elevated MJF going forward. The match itself was intense and really delivered in my opinion especially for being on television. Was the ending lackluster? Sure from a "spot" standpoint but you have to look deeper than that.

Right somebody posted online when Matt Hardy hit his head on concrete people moaned and then when they use crash pads people still moan lol, although maybe there is something in the way you shoot the fall. I think everybody has been wanting a Foley cage fall for a long time, but let us be honest you can't recreate the unpredictability and I think Foley would agree a fall like that was stupid and could have ended his career in an instant.

#4 2021-05-06 09:50:39

HC13 Aries Styles

I really don't have much of a problem with the match or how things ended...  Only thing I will say I did have a problem with is the commercial breaks after say the 9:30 PM time  they should went commercial free, esp after all 10 guys was in the cage... The action it self was everything it was advertised to be Blood and Guts with guys broken in half, though kinda surprise they didn't give more of the Inner Circle some color, at least Ortiz or Santana...   The length of the match may be the big problem esp after all 10 was in there for what 10 to 15 minutes before the ending... As for the ending it was planned out, esp after the match itself, with the gimmicked stage, which I don't have no problem with...  Anyhow it what been missing in mainstream wrestling, what the leaders of the pack isn't really doing much anymore...

#5 2021-05-06 09:55:36

HC13 Aries Styles

Ben Kerin wrote:
TSG wrote:

Right somebody posted online when Matt Hardy hit his head on concrete people moaned and then when they use crash pads people still moan lol, although maybe there is something in the way you shoot the fall. I think everybody has been wanting a Foley cage fall for a long time, but let us be honest you can't recreate the unpredictability and I think Foley would agree a fall like that was stupid and could have ended his career in an instant.

I think the big thing is safety, we can't go back to the 1990s when safety was taken out of matches as you mentioned Ben "the Foley cage fall"...  Plus the way they did the fall last night was meant to be hard to brace one self, falling back first, which if the stage wasn't gimmicked the fall would maybe be much worse??

#6 2021-05-06 10:42:03

RyanP

HC13 Aries Styles wrote:
Ben Kerin wrote:
TSG wrote:

I think the big thing is safety, we can't go back to the 1990s when safety was taken out of matches as you mentioned Ben "the Foley cage fall"...  Plus the way they did the fall last night was meant to be hard to brace one self, falling back first, which if the stage wasn't gimmicked the fall would maybe be much worse??

Based on the fans online reactions the criticism seems to be more focused on the camera angles and the overall presentation of the fall not the actual fall itself.

#7 2021-05-06 11:02:26

ilyem

If the camera work had been better the fall wouldn't have been so flat falling. Overall, I enjoyed the match, I think it could have been better, but it definitely could have been worse. Doesn't seem like anyone is coming out of it injured or badly hurt which is always an upside. If they were further back and didn't shoot from so close it would have looked better, still would have been able to tell about the padding but it wouldn't have been as obvious. I am not gonna nitpick too much when it comes to making sure nothing bad happens to the wrestler.

#8 2021-05-07 10:37:56

Aj29051994

While the match in itself was not a 5 star classic, nor was it a snooze fest, I would say it was what I roughly expected for a match like this. The only gripe I have, is that I’m currently now struggling to take The Inner Circle seriously as a group, yes other groups need to be put over etc, I get it, but on the flip side if you keep losing the big matches, as The Inner Circle have now done both times in a 5 on 5 encounter, I just cannot keep viewing them a serious group, unless they do start picking up some wins in the big matches, rather than putting teams over.

Board footer