You are not logged in.

#1 2021-02-07 13:56:16

HC13 Aries Styles

The AEW Women's #1 Contenders tournament

So they officially announced  who all will be in the tournament with a US bracket and Japan bracket....

"On the February 3rd AEW Dynamite Beach Break special, the field for the 16-woman AEW Women’s World Championship Eliminator Tournament was revealed. The tournament will take place in the United States and in Japan. The winner of the United States bracket will take on the winner of the Japan bracket, with the final winner becoming the number one contender for Hikaru Shida’s AEW Women’s World Championship. The tournament will begin later this month."
United States Participats:
Anna Jay
Dr. Britt Baker, D.M.D.
Leyla Hirsch
Nyla Rose
Riho
Serena Deeb
Tay Conti
Thunder Rosa

Japan Participants:
Aja Kong
Emi Sakura
Maki Itoh
Mei Suruga
Rin Kadokura
Ryo Mizunami
Veny
Yuka Sakazaki

Several observations I see, one several who not in the tournament, Big Swole, Lava Bates, Shanna also Diamante and Ivelisse... On the Japan side going have to do my homework  other then know and seeing many matches of  Aja Kong the past 25 years or so, and then Emi Sakura and Yuka Sakazaki in AEW from 2019 through March 2020....
Right now my favorites to win the USA bracket is either Dr Britt Baker or Thunder Rosa, though wouldn't rule out Anna Jay or Tay Conti....  As pointed out in another thread/post it also kinda surprising no Impact Wrestling stars involved..
So what are your thought of this tournament, who is your favorites???

#2 2021-02-08 06:48:37

GoodOldPapa

Re: The AEW Women's #1 Contenders tournament

I'm surprised Riho isn't on the Japanese side, but I'm presuming that may be because she is currently under contract to AEW.  I'm kind of leaning toward the good Dr.  right now.  One other name missing but it may be because she isn't ready yet from injury is Kris.  With the exception of Serena Deeb, Hikira has faced most of these ladies already.  I'm not as familiar with the Japanese ladies as I should be, so like you said, Ill have to do some homework on them.

#3 2021-02-08 11:32:39

HC13 Aries Styles

GoodOldPapa wrote:

I'm surprised Riho isn't on the Japanese side, but I'm presuming that may be because she is currently under contract to AEW.  I'm kind of leaning toward the good Dr.  right now.  One other name missing but it may be because she isn't ready yet from injury is Kris.  With the exception of Serena Deeb, Hikira has faced most of these ladies already.  I'm not as familiar with the Japanese ladies as I should be, so like you said, Ill have to do some homework on them.

Yeah I think Kris Statlander is still injured.... Probably will be back sometime by the time Double or Nothing happens???
But should be a great way to boost interest in their women division over-all...

#4 2021-02-08 16:10:41

GoodOldPapa

It should be.  I also noticed that Allie wasn't included either, tho she basically comes out with the Blade and Butcher.  You know the crowd would go nuts if there ever was a reunion or show down between Rosemary and Allie, given their past in Impact.

Board footer