You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-01 20:43:45

Blazaholic

If Smackdown is good why is Raw so bad?

Personal opinion, and this could be because I don't watch Raw weekly. I was on vacation this week so I watched Raw and I'll give it the benefit that Alexa Bliss vs Randy Orton sounded intriguing, even if it was because I thought it'd be funny to see Orton job to Alexa. Of course they made it clear with their wording it wasn't going to be a match but a "challenge". Other than that Raw seemed to hit every low spot imaginable. The Ricochet vs Ali match was good but I never thought WWE could kill a faction faster than the Nexus, yet they proved me wrong with Retribution.

The Fiend has had his ups and downs on both brands, but they seem to take a lot more wrong turns on Raw. It'd been nice to see Alexa more involved in the feud with Orton other than just strangely disappear for about a month then show up after Orton set The Fiend on fire. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and see how his return pans out.

I get that 3 hours is a lot harder to sit through than 2 hours of Smackdown, but Smackdown just seems a lot more enjoyable to watch. Guys you easily forget about on Raw get new life on Smackdown, yet it doesn't seem to work so well the other way around. Why is that? Is Pritchard writing for both? Is Vince just more focused on Raw? Sorry I'm rambling, I'm high right now (hence the username) but what are your guys opinions? Do you actually enjoy Raw? Do you hate Smackdown or both?

Edit: Okay Smackdown isn't all great moments, really didn't need to see Daniel Bryan dryhumping Otis

Last edited by Blazaholic (2021-01-01 21:35:16)

#2 2021-01-01 22:07:40

GoodOldPapa

Re: If Smackdown is good why is Raw so bad?

Smackdown has been the more compelling show for quite some time now.  It could be the length of the show, but Smackdown seems to flow at a better pace than Raw.  Raw some weeks feels more like an obligation than anything else.

#3 2021-01-01 22:38:38

Blazaholic

GoodOldPapa wrote:

Smackdown has been the more compelling show for quite some time now.  It could be the length of the show, but Smackdown seems to flow at a better pace than Raw.  Raw some weeks feels more like an obligation than anything else.

An obligation is probably the best way to describe it sometimes haha

#4 2021-01-02 12:19:29

HC13 Aries Styles

The thing about Raw they seem to put the mid-card matches they don't want to put on a PPV on there and it goes on for 2 or 3 months.... The Lashley-Lana-Rusev angle lasted  for 3 or 4 months with not really a big pay off for anyone.... The Ricochet vs Retribution have been going on for at least 2 months now no big pay off  yet.... 
With Smackdown  they have a few less guys on the roster thus less mid-card guys to worry about  and it seem easier to put something together be it Otis and Gable as a team or having Jey Uso  involved in his cousin Roman's program..
At the end it comes down to feuds and matches and etc...

#5 2021-01-03 12:08:10

Y2JFanatic

I think part of the reason why Smackdown is a way better show  is 'cause Road Dogg is one of the lead writers of the show. Not sure if he still is or not but that's why. He knows wrestling better than anybody since he's been into it for so long.

#6 2021-01-03 14:08:09

SirEdger

Road Dogg is no longer the head writer of Smackdown. I believe he's working in NXT with Triple H and Shawn Michaels.

The 3rd hour of RAW is definitely what's been plaguing the show for the longest time. 2 hours is the ideal length of a template and a 3rd hour also exposes your flaws more than ever because it only accentuates those issues if you don't correct them.

#7 2021-01-03 16:43:58

HC13 Aries Styles

SirEdger wrote:

Road Dogg is no longer the head writer of Smackdown. I believe he's working in NXT with Triple H and Shawn Michaels.

The 3rd hour of RAW is definitely what's been plaguing the show for the longest time. 2 hours is the ideal length of a template and a 3rd hour also exposes your flaws more than ever because it only accentuates those issues if you don't correct them.

You right about the 3rd hour and  again I would say feuds and storylines that don't have no big pay-offs( ex- Lashley-Lana-Rusev) (Ricochet vs Retribution) (anything including half of the lower-midcard women on Raw have been unwatchable and much the same)

#8 2021-01-03 17:55:00

Y2JFanatic

Well in my opinion, Smackdown started going downhill when they moved the dumb Rey Mysterio vs. Seth Rollins stuff to that brand. Don't know about y'all but that's a dumb storyline. Nothing more but soap opera stuff.

#9 2021-01-27 05:06:56

Blazaholic

Y2JFanatic wrote:

Well in my opinion, Smackdown started going downhill when they moved the dumb Rey Mysterio vs. Seth Rollins stuff to that brand. Don't know about y'all but that's a dumb storyline. Nothing more but soap opera stuff.

I hated the storyline on Raw, and the eye for an eye match was the stupidest idea ever, but at least it had a good payoff with Murphy and the Mysterios. At least there was a payoff, unlike any of the storylines SirEdger mentioned, he hit the nail right on the head. I mean why should I be invested in any of these guys if they're fighting for no reason. Ricochet taking on just about every member of Retribution, then just saying no to joining and Retribution is okay with that? Just C&P the same storyline with Xavier Woods.

This weeks Raw especially showed why the ratings are what they are. All of these wrestlers yet Charlotte and Shayna have one match, which leads to a random 6 woman tag, which gets restarted so now Charlotte and Shayna are wrestling 3 matches on Raw. Sheamus wrestling Morrison, and then after he wins Miz wants a handicap match when they could have just done that in the first place, so now Sheamus and Morrison are wrestling 2 matches meanwhile AJ Styles gets 10 minutes of screen time on a 3 hour show? At least the Sheamus and Morrison match was awesome, really kinda took the piss out of it by just doing a handicap match right after, even if they are trying to get Sheamus over as this tough guy babyface.

(Sorry random rant. I was able to watch Raw yesterday and it reminded me of me bitching about it at the beginning of the month on here.)

Last edited by Blazaholic (2021-01-27 05:09:05)

#10 2021-01-28 17:54:10

SirEdger

Although the thing with Xavier Woods and Retribution makes a bit more sense because of the past history linking Mustafa Ali to Kofi Kingston as Kofi replaced Ali when he got injured for Elimination Chamber, which lead to KofiMania. In that regard, this is a more compelling story to tell from both Ali & Kofi's standpoint than Ali just trying to recruit Ricochet but to no avail.

But in general, I agree that some variety is needed in terms of fresh matchups. Right now, there's only the Orton/Alexa/Fiend storyline that has me fully interested. I was liking the Hurt Business but all this dissension stuff as they just won the RAW Tag Titles is so disappointing. I feel like Kofi vs Ali could grab my attention back again. For Smackdown, Roman is killing it right now and looking forward to a possible Cesaro vs Nakamura feud too.

Board footer