You are not logged in.

#1 2020-12-06 01:47:01

RyanP

Is Social Media a good way to judge whether a wrestler is over or not

This to me is an interesting topic because a lot of fans judge whether wrestlers are over or not based on crowd reactions however given then current situation we are in that isn’t possible. So my question is can you judge whether a superstar is over or not based just on social media? And by social media I’m referring to Twitter, comment sections wrestling forums and even discord. I personally think you can judge whether a wrestler is over or not based just on social media but there are hardcore fans out there that think crowd reaction is the only way to tell for sure whether some is over or not and there is some merit to that argument but the thing is in this day in age you have to use other tools like social media to determine whether a wrestler is over or not. I’m going to use the most controversial wrestler in WWE right now Roman Reigns as an example. With no legit crowd reaction right now your hardcore fans are saying that there’s no way Roman is over right now however social media tells a different story. If you look at Twitter,comment sections and forums there is a lot of positive feedback about Roman’s heel turn and his heel character and storyline but as always there is negative feedback on social media as well but it seems to me at least in Roman’s case that the positive feedback outweighs the negative feedback. So my main question is can you judge whether a wrestler is over based just on social media? My secondary question is in regards to Roman Reigns. Do you think when it comes to his heel turn/storylines that there is more positive or negative feedback? Give me your thoughts on this topic.

#2 2020-12-06 06:31:36

welshlewis91

Re: Is Social Media a good way to judge whether a wrestler is over or not

I think you can get a scope for how "over" some one is by social media not just followers but by how often they trend, also merch numbers are huge indicators as that has people investing money in that person, so overall yes its a huge indicator but not just followers as that shows someones social media presence but if they trend often and sell merchandise that shows people care about the wrestling side of them not just the social media side. I don't watch WWE but a heel roman is what people have wanted since the fall of the shield but wrestling fans push back i remember a couple years ago  #cancelwwenetwork had people calling for an alternative to WWE as they had enough and now we have AEW the same people are weirdly team WWE and resist the alternative.

#3 2020-12-06 13:58:35

DK

Not not really. Most people on social media just hate for the sake of it. A movie is breaking box office records. Everybody hates it. An music artist setting records. Everybody hates them.

Highest rated TV show. Everybody hates it. Same for wrestling. The cliched I was never a fan. I remember in 2018 this very site. All I read was how Seth deserves a push. He’s carrying WWE. He gets the push. Almost all the comments are negative. Kofi mania. Remark that? After he wins the title fans here bash it. So no. Not really a good way to judge. Not just wrestling but anything really.

#4 2020-12-06 15:52:41

ilyem

Depends, I think it all depends on the wrestler and the time. Also wrestling changes so fast too. As someone mentioned above, couple years a go Seth Rollins was super over, a lot of people wanted to him to be champion and then when it happens he just kind of fell off. I think social media is a good way to gauge it but it doesn’t always mean it’s accurate. There’s always gonna be those wrestlers who are universally loved for the most part and then there are going to be ones who have a full steam ahead for a few months and then suddenly drop off. I think a lot of it is due to how they are used as well, with the amount of wrestlers there are now a days it’s easy to get lost on the shuffle.

#5 2020-12-06 20:46:09

Shadow409

I would lean towards No. Take Roman Reigns or John Cena for example, for the longest time, no matter how good their matches were, or how good the promos were, or how often we saw them, it was just cool to hate them. They did nothing to deserve it, and both have over a million fans on social media platforms, but you couldn't have a real conversation about them with anyone because if you liked them, you were just an idiot virgin in moms basement that never saw a "Stone Cold or Rock reaction." It was just ridiculous. So no, I don't think you should judge who's over by social media most of the time anyway.

Board footer