Ben Kerin
Director of WNS
Website
Facebook Twitter Instagram
XMPP:
XMPP XMPP
()

Sting Joins AEW!

For the first time since 2001, Sting is back on TNT.

The legend made a surprise appearance on Wednesday night's AEW Dynamite, coming to the aid of Cody Rhodes, Darby Allin and Arn Anderson during an attack from Team Taz.

Sting has signed a multi-year contract with the company.

Thoughts on Sting in AEW?

Excited?

#2 2020-12-03 02:30:40

RyanP

Re: Sting Joins AEW!

I guess I’m going to be in the minority here but I don’t see the point in bringing Sting into AEW. He’s not going to be able to put on the classic matches that everyone will be expecting from him at his age now. Not to mention I find it interesting that in every article about The Undertaker the fans talked about a fantasy match between him and Sting but acknowledged that it wouldn’t be worth doing  it now because neither of them is physically capable of putting on a solid match but now that he’s a part of AEW they suddenly think that he can complete again. Am I seriously the only one who sees how hypocritical these fans are being when it comes to Sting competing in AEW? He’s definitely gonna draw in more viewers but my question is what will he bring to the product itself. A match with Jericho? Or Matt Hardy? Or Dustin Rhodes? It’s going to have to be another veteran that he goes up against because there’s no way he can get in the ring with the younger guys and keep up. Bottom line is while bringing Sting into AEW may have given them a shocking moment it doesn’t necessarily mean it’s going to translate into long term sucess.

#3 2020-12-03 09:37:06

ilyem

RyanP wrote:

I guess I’m going to be in the minority here but I don’t see the point in bringing Sting into AEW. He’s not going to be able to put on the classic matches that everyone will be expecting from him at his age now. Not to mention I find it interesting that in every article about The Undertaker the fans talked about a fantasy match between him and Sting but acknowledged that it wouldn’t be worth doing  it now because neither of them is physically capable of putting on a solid match but now that he’s a part of AEW they suddenly think that he can complete again. Am I seriously the only one who sees how hypocritical these fans are being when it comes to Sting competing in AEW? He’s definitely gonna draw in more viewers but my question is what will he bring to the product itself. A match with Jericho? Or Matt Hardy? Or Dustin Rhodes? It’s going to have to be another veteran that he goes up against because there’s no way he can get in the ring with the younger guys and keep up. Bottom line is while bringing Sting into AEW may have given them a shocking moment it doesn’t necessarily mean it’s going to translate into long term sucess.

I had a feeling you were going to be in here way more intense then you needed to be. In almost every AEW thread I've seen you in, you are trying your hardest to make it seem like you are playing 'devils advocate' but you always just come off salty. The majority of people I have seen who have commented on Sting being in AEW are very well aware that Sting is 61 year old man and cannot go with the best of them anymore. Am I say he's not going to get some sort of match? No, not at all, that is a strong possibility seeing as Sting has stated multiple times he wants to end his career on his own terms. At the end of the day it wasn't AEW who decided Sting could possibly wrestle, that was Sting. The majority of people are more so wanting him to come on as Darby's manager and pull some of the stuff Arn and Tully have with assisting their clients and doing a signature move here and there. No logical person is under the impression that Sting is going to be wrestling for the majority of his multi-year contract, just like we don't believe Matt is going to do that full time either. People do wanna see him wrestler but its all up to Stings discretion on that. We also haven't seen Sting in a particularly long time and aren't even sure how he's doing, what he can do, or even what he's going to do. Sting might also be privy to being backstage and helping with younger talent, storylines, there is nothing set in stone for what he's going to do because he hasn't even spoken yet. You are so ready to be offended at anything AEW does at turn acting as if AEW doesn't get criticized like WWE does, when they do. They've been called out, I've called them out, I've seen numerous other fans call them out. Yes, there are the marks who don't complain about anything they do, just like marks for WWE, which funnily enough I never see you on here criticizing WWE for anything they do, I've seen you tell people to wait to judge on what happens, so take your own advice on that one. Also, you act as all WWE fans have accepting that and say the Undertaker needs to retire, because that's not the case, there are tons of people who want a match between him and Drew, or some younger talent, there are always going to be those people.

I agree Sting shouldn't be a full time wrestler, and I seriously doubt he is, I'm not blind nor dumb and I know how wrestling works and if they can get a couple of matches out of him, they absolutely would, you are also out of your tree to think that WWE wouldn't still do the same with The Undertaker or any other legend that isn't physically unable to compete, same with Impact, most companies would love a nostalgia moment. I've seen some people talking dream matches, my friend was talking to me about it last night along with his roommate but they both ended it with 'It's probably not gonna happen and it's for the best, it's better the way I picture it in my mind." Because again, we're aware of his age and physical limitations. Sting wasn't in the best shape for his WWE run either, but WWE still milked that cow and got to put it to WCW one last time.

We get it, you don't like AEW and love WWE, there's nothing wrong with that, and sometimes you do bring up good points, but those good points are constantly overshadowed when you make it seem like you are fishing for literally anyone to agree with you and instead of listening to having a debate, no you bring up these points and very clearly make it about WWE as much as you can, so it's not about the actual hypocrisy of fans in this fact, it's due to the hypocrisy not leaning in the favor of WWE, at least be transparent about that, literally in all threads you are the one making it about AEW vs WWE and not the actual topic at hand. No one is saying fans aren't hypocritical on both ends because they are, they always will be, its wrestling, stop taking it so seriously and putting energy into something you don't enjoy, because its a waste of your time and you only come looking like a salty WWE fan like AEW fans do when they focus too closely on what WWE is doing and not putting that energy into the wrestling product they enjoy.

#4 2020-12-03 10:19:00

RyanP

ilyem wrote:
RyanP wrote:

I had a feeling you were going to be in here way more intense then you needed to be. In almost every AEW thread I've seen you in, you are trying your hardest to make it seem like you are playing 'devils advocate' but you always just come off salty. The majority of people I have seen who have commented on Sting being in AEW are very well aware that Sting is 61 year old man and cannot go with the best of them anymore. Am I say he's not going to get some sort of match? No, not at all, that is a strong possibility seeing as Sting has stated multiple times he wants to end his career on his own terms. At the end of the day it wasn't AEW who decided Sting could possibly wrestle, that was Sting. The majority of people are more so wanting him to come on as Darby's manager and pull some of the stuff Arn and Tully have with assisting their clients and doing a signature move here and there. No logical person is under the impression that Sting is going to be wrestling for the majority of his multi-year contract, just like we don't believe Matt is going to do that full time either. People do wanna see him wrestler but its all up to Stings discretion on that. We also haven't seen Sting in a particularly long time and aren't even sure how he's doing, what he can do, or even what he's going to do. Sting might also be privy to being backstage and helping with younger talent, storylines, there is nothing set in stone for what he's going to do because he hasn't even spoken yet. You are so ready to be offended at anything AEW does at turn acting as if AEW doesn't get criticized like WWE does, when they do. They've been called out, I've called them out, I've seen numerous other fans call them out. Yes, there are the marks who don't complain about anything they do, just like marks for WWE, which funnily enough I never see you on here criticizing WWE for anything they do, I've seen you tell people to wait to judge on what happens, so take your own advice on that one. Also, you act as all WWE fans have accepting that and say the Undertaker needs to retire, because that's not the case, there are tons of people who want a match between him and Drew, or some younger talent, there are always going to be those people.

I agree Sting shouldn't be a full time wrestler, and I seriously doubt he is, I'm not blind nor dumb and I know how wrestling works and if they can get a couple of matches out of him, they absolutely would, you are also out of your tree to think that WWE wouldn't still do the same with The Undertaker or any other legend that isn't physically unable to compete, same with Impact, most companies would love a nostalgia moment. I've seen some people talking dream matches, my friend was talking to me about it last night along with his roommate but they both ended it with 'It's probably not gonna happen and it's for the best, it's better the way I picture it in my mind." Because again, we're aware of his age and physical limitations. Sting wasn't in the best shape for his WWE run either, but WWE still milked that cow and got to put it to WCW one last time.

We get it, you don't like AEW and love WWE, there's nothing wrong with that, and sometimes you do bring up good points, but those good points are constantly overshadowed when you make it seem like you are fishing for literally anyone to agree with you and instead of listening to having a debate, no you bring up these points and very clearly make it about WWE as much as you can, so it's not about the actual hypocrisy of fans in this fact, it's due to the hypocrisy not leaning in the favor of WWE, at least be transparent about that, literally in all threads you are the one making it about AEW vs WWE and not the actual topic at hand. No one is saying fans aren't hypocritical on both ends because they are, they always will be, its wrestling, stop taking it so seriously and putting energy into something you don't enjoy, because its a waste of your time and you only come looking like a salty WWE fan like AEW fans do when they focus too closely on what WWE is doing and not putting that energy into the wrestling product they enjoy.

You bring up some valid points and for the record I’ve said numerous times that there are hypocritical fans in both fanbases myself included at times. Do I make it about WWE vs AEW when at times I don’t need to? Absolutely but I’m not the only one who does that because that’s what fans and even this site does they make it AEW vs NXT “The Wednesday Night Wars.” which pushes some fans like myself into debating a topic from that viewpoint. If you want to see why I feel like I do at times then look at the comment sections and the BLATANT hypocrisy that goes on there. Like I said in every comment section on articles about Taker fans talk about a Sting/Taker dream match and acknowledge that it won’t happen because of their physical limitations and then those same fans that said that have turned around and gone the opposite direction saying he can wrestle all because it’s AEW not WWE. Do I come off as a salty WWE fan at times? Yes but when you constantly get attacked by AEW marks in the comment sections all because you criticize their favorite company that they think can do no wrong it helps explain it. Does it justify it? No and I do need to work on that. As far as the topic at hand goes there is potential for some interesting matches for Sting in AEW but the success of those matches is going to be determined by the expectations of the fans. If the fans go into the match expecting 90s Sting that can put on a solid 20 min+ match and it doesn’t happen it won’t be successful but I believe the majority won’t be looking at it like that they will understand that due to Stings age he won’t able to do that anymore. All in all the Sting debut definitely is a shocking moment that will help AEW out in the ratings but I still wonder if it’s going to help them out long term. I guess we will see. Hope your day goes well dude.

#5 2020-12-03 10:43:03

ilyem

RyanP wrote:
ilyem wrote:
RyanP wrote:

You bring up some valid points and for the record I’ve said numerous times that there are hypocritical fans in both fanbases myself included at times. Do I make it about WWE vs AEW when at times I don’t need to? Absolutely but I’m not the only one who does that because that’s what fans and even this site does they make it AEW vs NXT “The Wednesday Night Wars.” which pushes some fans like myself into debating a topic from that viewpoint. If you want to see why I feel like I do at times then look at the comment sections and the BLATANT hypocrisy that goes on there. Like I said in every comment section on articles about Taker fans talk about a Sting/Taker dream match and acknowledge that it won’t happen because of their physical limitations and then those same fans that said that have turned around and gone the opposite direction saying he can wrestle all because it’s AEW not WWE. Do I come off as a salty WWE fan at times? Yes but when you constantly get attacked by AEW marks in the comment sections all because you criticize their favorite company that they think can do no wrong it helps explain it. Does it justify it? No and I do need to work on that. As far as the topic at hand goes there is potential for some interesting matches for Sting in AEW but the success of those matches is going to be determined by the expectations of the fans. If the fans go into the match expecting 90s Sting that can put on a solid 20 min+ match and it doesn’t happen it won’t be successful but I believe the majority won’t be looking at it like that they will understand that due to Stings age he won’t able to do that anymore. All in all the Sting debut definitely is a shocking moment that will help AEW out in the ratings but I still wonder if it’s going to help them out long term. I guess we will see. Hope your day goes well dude.

The comment sections are literally the worst of the worst on any wrestling website because people are literally just there to troll and to make people mad because they can hide behind the anonymity that the comments on this website have. I tend to stay out of the comments because I rarely see anyone making good points in there and like you said, if someone does, someone else is gonna troll on them. I see people on both sides being completely immature in comments, if you look at any of the comments on the last few articles a lot of them are in all caps, mis-spelled, and just generally troll comments. AEW fans criticize AEW, I am one of them, many others are, Tony has gotten his shit ripped in half on twitter many of times, as how the Bucks, Cody, Kenny, and even Jericho, but Jericho is who he is and that's never gonna change despite people thinking he's a tool, which yes, I do think he's a giant ass tool. Fans on both sides are immature and hypocritical, I see a lot of WWE fans in AEW articles jumping on anyone who thinks something might be a good idea with the good ol' classic name calling, racial slurs, or using the R word against people. Comments on wrestling articles are cesspools for the lowest of the low on every website because of the anonymity. Which is why I ignore them, you will rarely get into an engaging debate in the comments with anyone, which is why the forum is here, people will often not come on here to post any kind of opinion without being able to back it up because they know they will get their cheeks beat on a daily. Not saying it doesn't happen, it does, there are a few people I've seen post I swear live in a different world, but the forums are always a better place for a chance at a healthy debate.

I don't mean to come off rude but when you immediately jump to WWE's defense when no one has said anything about them it comes off as a giant mark move. I've defended WWE before too, I don't think it's fair to go after one and not the other, keep the playing ground even. However, AEW bringing in a legend who might have match here and there isn't the same as WWE having Brock be a consistent champion for years on end and having him defend it 3-4 times a year. There are legitimate gripes fans have with both companies, and we can include Impact here too, no wrestling company is perfect by any means, do I enjoy AEW more so? Yes, but I've enjoyed some aspects of WWE too, and I love a hell of a lot of the wrestlers that are signed to that company so of course I want them to do better because they have so much raw talent that needs to be used and overlook. All I am saying is if you want to have an engaging debate where real points are brought up and discussed, the comment section isn't the best way to go about that, you're gonna get trolled and called names, it's not worth it, stick to the forums because I will go back and forth and remain as respectful as I can as long as I am respected in return. I might not agree with you on a lot and might call you out on it, but your opinion is your own and you are allowed to share it.

I don't think anyone expects a 90s classic match from Sting, just like people can't expect a 90s style match from the Undertaker, Hulk, Kevin Nash, hell even Triple H and HBK because none of them are full time wrestlers anymore and haven't been in a very long time, age and physical limitations and past injuries for all these men are always considered. Anyone who thinks that is still, I certainly don't, I live in the real world and take into account this mans age and physical limitations, I honestly see if he does any matches it's gonna be tags where he can come in for a nostalgia moment and maybe get a pin but it's gonna rely on younger talent like Cody, Darby, Starks, & Cage to carry him. Expectations are low on that front, I think more people are excited to see what he does outside of the ring within AEW and their new partnership with Impact. Is he gonna manage someone? Is he working backstage with creative? Is he gonna be helping Dustin train the younger stars to help build them up. Sting is a fountain of untapped knowledge in this case, and if it helps storylines become better, more creative, and he leads a new set of stars with his knowledge I don't care if the dude doesn't step foot into a AEW ring to wrestler at all. It's obvious this is his passion and if he can help make wrestling better, I am here for it.

Hope your day goes well too.

#6 2020-12-03 13:54:39

HeelKing

I'm more excited for the Impact/AEW partnership but Sting was a cool surprise. So yeah, I'm excited for it. They did a great job keeping it a secret. It wasn't until that crow popped up on the screen where I was like, "whoa, it's going to be Sting!"

He's 61, so I get we're not going to see classic 30 minute matches between him and Omega or whomever. I don't expect that from him at this point. It'd just be cool if they could find a role for him where he hits some people with the bat, does a few Scorpion Deatdrops from time-to-time and maybe in the right situation you could use him in some tag matches with a partner to carry the load.

#7 2020-12-03 14:23:38

ilyem

HeelKing wrote:

I'm more excited for the Impact/AEW partnership but Sting was a cool surprise. So yeah, I'm excited for it. They did a great job keeping it a secret. It wasn't until that crow popped up on the screen where I was like, "whoa, it's going to be Sting!"

He's 61, so I get we're not going to see classic 30 minute matches between him and Omega or whomever. I don't expect that from him at this point. It'd just be cool if they could find a role for him where he hits some people with the bat, does a few Scorpion Deatdrops from time-to-time and maybe in the right situation you could use him in some tag matches with a partner to carry the load.

I agree, thats exactly what I feel is going to happen. He's gonna be novelty, do a few moves for a pop and the boomers to be like "That's Sting! I know him!" feel good moments for 90s wrestling lovers and hopefully bringing up talent. AEW has done a good job of keeping legends out of title reigns unless its their client holding the title.

#8 2020-12-03 15:18:47

Y2JFanatic

From the looks of things, they're just bringing Sting as a performer, not a wrestler. His wrestling days in the ring are done forever but that's not stopping him for performing in storylines and cutting promos, though.

#9 2020-12-03 15:54:22

HC13 Aries Styles

Want lie I literally marked out....
Now what will his role be, could see it as a on air-authority.... Could also see him in the ring, but working a match that is more his speed and protected....  The thing is I'm looking forward to what-ever they have plan with Sting short term and long term, he deserves a better send off then what the WWE gave him....  And AEW might be the best place and on TNT might be the best network to honor him....

Last edited by HC13 Aries Styles (2020-12-03 15:56:28)

Board footer