You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-27 10:45:12

RyanP

What defines a true wrestling fan?

This topic is something that came to mind while reading comment sections on various wrestling sites including this one. There are a lot of people who criticize various promotions while claiming to be real wrestling fans yet I don’t think they are. So what defines a true wrestling fan? A true wrestling fan in my opinion is a fan who can not only criticize a promotion they don’t like but also accept criticism about the promotion that they do like because let’s be honest here there are things that every wrestling promotion could do to improve their product. There is no perfect wrestling promotion in my opinion. I’m a self admitted WWE fan and yet I’m willing to admit there are areas they can improve on but I also know there are also positives about the WWE product as well but yet there are fans who identify as true fans and yet they claim everything WWE puts out is crap. The same applies to AEW as well there are things they can improve on too but not everything they do is crap. Fans that support that line of thinking aren’t true fans in my opinion they are marks/trolls. I’m not saying there aren’t true wrestling fans out there but they are few and far between in my opinion. One self indentified “true wrestling fan” that I have had arguments on here with is shutyomouth. He claimed he was a true wrestling fan yet he crapped on everything WWE does but wouldn’t accept any criticism of the promotions he followed NJPW/AEW without going on an expletive filled tirade. Do you think he is a true wrestling fan? What are your thoughts on this topic?

#2 2020-04-27 17:22:48

Kanejb

Re: What defines a true wrestling fan?

I honestly think a true wrestling fan would want AEW to succeed. Personally I hate WWE, but I don't want them to go out of business. Because I think competition is good for anyone. That is why I think WWE had been so bad for so long. Up until recently they have not had any viable threats. NJPW is only big in Japan,  tna and roh are merely glorified independent s that WWE could poach at anytime they want. Then AEW came along and it has finally forced WWE to step up a little bit.

So for the life of me I don't see why any WWE fan, that has been stuck watching the same shitshow for years, wouldn't be all for something that makes the product they like better too. Clearly WWE goes downhill when it is the only show in town.

Also this may be a wrestling fans last chance at a viable alternative. A company with a billionaire owner that has a multi year contract on TNT. when will that happen again? Yet these WWE fans sit there are pray for it to fail...and for what? What has WWE shown you that makes you think the product won't suffer when AEW is gone?

#3 2020-04-27 18:20:40

RyanP

Kanejb wrote:

I honestly think a true wrestling fan would want AEW to succeed. Personally I hate WWE, but I don't want them to go out of business. Because I think competition is good for anyone. That is why I think WWE had been so bad for so long. Up until recently they have not had any viable threats. NJPW is only big in Japan,  tna and roh are merely glorified independent s that WWE could poach at anytime they want. Then AEW came along and it has finally forced WWE to step up a little bit.

So for the life of me I don't see why any WWE fan, that has been stuck watching the same shitshow for years, wouldn't be all for something that makes the product they like better too. Clearly WWE goes downhill when it is the only show in town.

Also this may be a wrestling fans last chance at a viable alternative. A company with a billionaire owner that has a multi year contract on TNT. when will that happen again? Yet these WWE fans sit there are pray for it to fail...and for what? What has WWE shown you that makes you think the product won't suffer when AEW is gone?

I agree that a true wrestling fan would want AEW to succeed and if they were a true wrestling fan then they would also want WWE to succeed as well but to me that’s the problem with wrestling fans today. They are either on one side or the other and refuse to accept criticism of the product they watch. If they were true wrestling fans they would know that there is no such thing as a perfect product and that there could be improvements in the product whether it’s WWE or AEW. As far as why I watch WWE. I like some of the storylines and I’m not going to judge their product while they are in the performance center because I don’t think that would be right. As a WWE fan I can also admit that there are things they could improve on. Tag divisions men’s and women’s. Mid card titles. Better long term storylines but there are also positives. Otis/Mandy Rose,Street Profits,Zelina Vega’s stable,Drew McIntyre,The Fiend.
If you focus on the negatives of WWE then you miss the positives in my opinion.

#4 2020-04-28 03:23:44

Blazaholic

There are a lot of different type of wrestling fans, but in the end if you're watching, whether it's for the enjoyment or just to bitch about WWE or AEW or both you could still be considered a true fan. Some people see the good, and some people enjoy seeing the bad just as much. Some are born complainers, but it would be boring if everyone just agreed with one another, so it's fun to have them around. You can be a true wrestling fan and also a diehard WWE fan, or you can be a true wrestling fan who strictly sticts to watching indie stuff, or a diehard AEW fan. As long as in some way it brings you enjoyment, or keeps you coming back, you're a true wrestling fan.

#5 2020-04-28 15:04:17

Kanejb

I agree with the above post. It's like saying I like pop, but I only drink Pepsi and not coke. Then someone else says...well you don't really like pop then.

#6 2020-05-02 10:03:30

HeelKing

The reason there's such a divide I think is because the target demographics are completely different. WWE largely ignores the "hardcore" wrestling fan because when they went corporate they probably realized you can't run parallel lines of attracting our viewership while playing to kids and families, all the while pleasing your toy makers and corporate sponsors. It's just what it is. They still do some things well. NXT is a great product, and I like a few of the main roster stars. I generally think Smackdown and Raw are garbage, but eh. When there was no other alternative though, it's hard not to get a bit jaded when no one is really producing what you want to see. You either sit through the parts of WWE you hate, or give up wrestling. Those were your choices.

AEW brought me back to wrestling because it's more my style. The ironic part is it's helped me to enjoy WWE a bit more too because I record the shows, FF through the parts that bore me and just watch what I like. I don't have the same sense of disappointment in the product because they produced 6 hours of product and I could only stomach an hour of it.

So I think the competition is good, and I hope they both succeed at what they're hoping to accomplish. Wrestling is best when there's rivals who can push each other. I think it's probably natural to choose a side, the same way we do in sports. It doesn't make you less of a fan. A wrestling fan just wants to see the best of everything.

Board footer