You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-20 12:32:07

HC13 Aries Styles
Member
Registered: 2019-11-17
Posts: 471

When will we see AEW try to go head to head with Smackdown or Raw??

In a interview this week leading up to the Atlanta showing of Dynamite, Cody Rhodes saying eventually one day maybe 3, 4, 5 years down the road he could see AEW going head to head with WWE Raw...   

Cody responded, “I’m going to say something controversial and I don’t mean it to be, but this always happens any time I’m interviewed for an extended period of time." He went on to say, "I would like the company in five years to be on a different night and competing in the same fashion they are…"

My question is do you think we might see them test the water,  find out what their strengths and weaknesses are, as said it not a matter of if, it a matter of when?? What do y'all think??

Last edited by HC13 Aries Styles (2020-02-20 12:32:30)

Offline

#2 2020-02-20 13:07:02

RyanP
Member
Registered: 2019-11-06
Posts: 359

Re: When will we see AEW try to go head to head with Smackdown or Raw??

Ultimately it will be TNT’s decision to make to move it to another night. The problem I see with Monday’s is not only Raw but Monday Night Football during football season. I mean Raw has trouble keeping consistent ratings during football season and there’s no reason to think that AEW wouldn’t have that same problem. Friday’s wouldn’t be smart either because of not only SD being on Fox but because most people have social lives and go out on Friday nights and a lot of high school sporting events take place on Friday nights and in certain states high school sports especially football is more important than college/NFL football. The biggest reason TNT won’t do it is because they know what happened last time they tried going head to head with WWE on the same night. Those who don’t learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Last edited by RyanP (2020-02-20 13:07:51)

Offline

#3 2020-02-20 13:09:53

Y2JFanatic
Member
Registered: 2020-01-15
Posts: 388

Re: When will we see AEW try to go head to head with Smackdown or Raw??

Tony Khan claims he and AEW aren't at war against WWE but you know it's a lie. They are 100% and they know it. Yes, I think AEW will have more wrestling shows on TV during the week. They could have another main show for Monday nights and I can see them having another show for Friday night as well. They'll compete against RAW & SD both. I can see AEW having a third show for the midcarders kind of WWE's 305 live.

Offline

#4 2020-02-20 13:15:43

GoodOldPapa
Member
Registered: 2019-12-04
Posts: 221

Re: When will we see AEW try to go head to head with Smackdown or Raw??

It might be best if they stay put on Wednesday.  Its a good spot, and probably with TNT may not have the flexibility of the other nights of the week.  I know TNT is locked into basketball on certain nights, plus I don't know if TBS would be part of the deal since they were at one time owned by the same company.

Offline

#5 2020-02-20 17:26:08

HC13 Aries Styles
Member
Registered: 2019-11-17
Posts: 471

Re: When will we see AEW try to go head to head with Smackdown or Raw??

RyanP wrote:

Ultimately it will be TNT’s decision to make to move it to another night. The problem I see with Monday’s is not only Raw but Monday Night Football during football season. I mean Raw has trouble keeping consistent ratings during football season and there’s no reason to think that AEW wouldn’t have that same problem. Friday’s wouldn’t be smart either because of not only SD being on Fox but because most people have social lives and go out on Friday nights and a lot of high school sporting events take place on Friday nights and in certain states high school sports especially football is more important than college/NFL football. The biggest reason TNT won’t do it is because they know what happened last time they tried going head to head with WWE on the same night. Those who don’t learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

One thing to remember last time wrestling was on TNT 20 years ago all the way to the end they was still getting over 3 to 4 million viewers, but Raw then was getting 5, 6 or even once in while 7 million viewers...  Now keep in mind since then lots have  changed,  Raw haven't hit over 5 million viewers  in a very long time   They barely get 2 and half million viewers some Mondays any more...   I think even if they AEW would experiment they could take some  viewers from Raw or Smackdown?? 
Will say I don't think AEW will try such anytime soon, at least not this year...

Offline

#6 2020-02-20 17:36:02

MaskedMadness
Member
Registered: 2020-01-16
Posts: 101

Re: When will we see AEW try to go head to head with Smackdown or Raw??

It's more about the network. If TNT doesn't think it's realistic to go head to head with Raw/Smackdown, then it won't happen.

Offline

#7 2020-02-20 22:55:50

Kanejb
Member
Registered: 2020-02-20
Posts: 46

Re: When will we see AEW try to go head to head with Smackdown or Raw??

Well the way I see it nXt is WWE's best show and AEW has beaten that pretty consistently, even when they have used main roster stars. So I can see why they would he tempted, but I agree they should stay put. Maybe a move to tuesday? I really think AEW would do 1.5 easily if it wasn't opposed by wwe's best show.

Offline

#8 2020-02-21 12:05:00

RyanP
Member
Registered: 2019-11-06
Posts: 359

Re: When will we see AEW try to go head to head with Smackdown or Raw??

HC13 Aries Styles wrote:

[quote}
One thing to remember last time wrestling was on TNT 20 years ago all the way to the end they was still getting over 3 to 4 million viewers, but Raw then was getting 5, 6 or even once in while 7 million viewers...  Now keep in mind since then lots have  changed,  Raw haven't hit over 5 million viewers  in a very long time   They barely get 2 and half million viewers some Mondays any more...   I think even if they AEW would experiment they could take some  viewers from Raw or Smackdown?? 
Will say I don't think AEW will try such anytime soon, at least not this year...

Your right about viewership being higher during the attitude era then it is today which kinda proves my point that wrestling isn’t as popular today as it was back then but that’s a debate for another day. My point is that if they try Monday nights with Raw averaging at least 2.4 million viewers and let’s say Monday Night Football averages in the 9-12 million viewer range it seems likely that AEW’s viewership would be less than their Wednesday viewership numbers. I mean we saw how big of a hit their viewership took during the World Series and football is more popular than baseball so I think it would hurt their viewership even more than the World Series did. Bottom line is if TNT is satisfied with the viewership numbers that they’re bringing in on Wednesday nights then they’re not going to change it anytime soon. As the old saying goes if it ain’t broke don’t fix it and I think that can be applied to this topic of discussion.

Last edited by RyanP (2020-02-21 12:09:32)

Offline

#9 2020-02-21 22:50:13

HC13 Aries Styles
Member
Registered: 2019-11-17
Posts: 471

Re: When will we see AEW try to go head to head with Smackdown or Raw??

RyanP wrote:
HC13 Aries Styles wrote:

[quote}
One thing to remember last time wrestling was on TNT 20 years ago all the way to the end they was still getting over 3 to 4 million viewers, but Raw then was getting 5, 6 or even once in while 7 million viewers...  Now keep in mind since then lots have  changed,  Raw haven't hit over 5 million viewers  in a very long time   They barely get 2 and half million viewers some Mondays any more...   I think even if they AEW would experiment they could take some  viewers from Raw or Smackdown?? 
Will say I don't think AEW will try such anytime soon, at least not this year...

Your right about viewership being higher during the attitude era then it is today which kinda proves my point that wrestling isn’t as popular today as it was back then but that’s a debate for another day. My point is that if they try Monday nights with Raw averaging at least 2.4 million viewers and let’s say Monday Night Football averages in the 9-12 million viewer range it seems likely that AEW’s viewership would be less than their Wednesday viewership numbers. I mean we saw how big of a hit their viewership took during the World Series and football is more popular than baseball so I think it would hurt their viewership even more than the World Series did. Bottom line is if TNT is satisfied with the viewership numbers that they’re bringing in on Wednesday nights then they’re not going to change it anytime soon. As the old saying goes if it ain’t broke don’t fix it and I think that can be applied to this topic of discussion.

I don't  think  that wrestling isn't popular, I think it more less there is more ways to watch and more options to watch then ever before....  It very seldom I would guess many would watch Sunday or Monday Night Football through DVR or taped, but people will watch wrestling on tape/digital format or what ever.... The thing is as most have said it will be The Turner Broadcasting group TNT/ TBS and other channels they have choice if they want to add programming, change nights or what-ever... It may not happen, then again it just may be a matter of time??

Offline

#10 2020-03-01 01:36:05

RyanP
Member
Registered: 2019-11-06
Posts: 359

Re: When will we see AEW try to go head to head with Smackdown or Raw??

Another thing to keep in mind when it comes to the possibility of AEW on Monday Night is that the Khans also own the Jacksonville Jaguars and I’m gonna guess that they’re not going to want to go up against themselves so to speak by putting Dynamite on the same night as Monday Night Football.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB
Modded by krysti.engineer