You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-24 23:07:17

Tommy

Did Vince favor NXT because of AEW?

I firmly believe NXT was booked strong solely because of the Wednesday night war. Survivor Series is the second longest running ppv in WWE that appeals to the casuals just as much as the hardcore fanbase. I'm sure there are people out there who still solely watch Raw and Smackdown who have no clue about NXT and this event was to introduce the brand of NXT to those people. With Raw and Smackdown getting over 2 million viewers weekly and NXT cant even get to 1 million this ppv booking was another attempt to drive that up and bring the extra 1.5 million or so that watch Raw and Smackdown to watch NXT and to surpass AEW on a weekly basis. Thoughts?

Last edited by Tommy (2019-11-24 23:10:39)

#2 2019-11-24 23:49:40

IronFistMaiden
Supreme Leader
Website
Facebook Twitter Instagram

Re: Did Vince favor NXT because of AEW?

In my mind, the recent NXT push is unquestionably to light AEW on fire. They're not worried technically about what the Raw and SD numbers are doing and nobody is up against them on either show. If WWE doesn't consistently put NXT over, use stars from other brands then they're gonna fumble again. AEW only has a leg up if they do what WWE cannot do and so far they're putting a few things out there. They have no choice but to ride out the fact that the roster is largely unknown people to larger audiences. Eventually those names will become closer and closer to "household names" and it'll build momentum no matter what. It has the resources to do this. NXT can win the short game, but I have a feeling WWE won't allow it to come at the cost of devaluing the main two products in the long game. We might just be experiencing the "every dog has his day" era of NXT and WWE giveth and WWE taketh away situation. It's easy to sour fans these days and NXT being a long term top product in how WWE uses it seems unlikely. Would WWE actually devalue Raw and SD just to push NXT above AEW? I have my doubts. In the short of things, it won't hurt anything, but consistency isn't WWE's strong suit nor does it *technically* make sense to continue down that road and make NXT "the top brand", even if some fan's see that as how it is, how it's treated within WWE is another story. I don't know if WWE thinks the current fire will last once (or if) things cool off on NXT.

I'm like a Vegeta but trying real hard to be like a Goku.
Join the WNS Discord https://discord.gg/GTUc4db <-- Invite

#3 2019-11-24 23:52:20

Ben Kerin
Director of WNS
Website
XMPP:
XMPP XMPP
()

I think it was the right move to have NXT go over. Given the build and their new status as a main brand it helps elevate them some more. I think this is only the start of more cross-over events, it is inevitable main stars will be used to help bolster the brand against AEW.

#4 2019-11-25 07:33:34

IronFistMaiden
Supreme Leader
Website

Invasion wars are always good, except WCW/ECW but that was because they didn't have the right chess pieces. It *could* have been good. Meaningful elements of surprise is never a bad move. They have less impact only when they lack something to back it up which any wrestling company could be or has been guilty of. Building sustainable chaos is always better than dragging out the same ole shit week to week so WWE is pulling the right moves in that regard, but they are by far much more limited vs. what AEW is *able* to do so it will be interesting to see how they respond to the recent loss and the fire NXT is building up.

I'm like a Vegeta but trying real hard to be like a Goku.
Join the WNS Discord https://discord.gg/GTUc4db <-- Invite

#5 2019-12-04 18:01:58

GoodOldPapa

NXT is getting the love that seemingly Smackdown has never got, at least until the move to Fox.  They were considered the B show, and was booked as such.

Board footer