Ben Kerin
Director of WNS
Website
Facebook Twitter Instagram
XMPP:
benkerin@wrestlr.me XMPP XMPP
(offline)

Corey Graves / Mauro Ranallo thoughts?

Corey Graves took a pop at Mauro Ranallo during NXT WarGames, and it seems like it got to Ranallo who quit Twitter and also decided not to call Survivor Series.

From the outside in, you could pretty much say Ranallo is throwing his toys out the pram and overreacted. It's really not the business for you if you're easily offended. Then you also have to understand Ranallo is much respected and deals with Bipolar disorder and whilst this makes you feel for the guy you again have to wonder if this is the right place for him to be. Should Corey have known better?

Clearly a very passionate guy, but maybe there is more to this. Maybe as a colleague, Corey who Rannallo was set to work alongside tonight should have taken his concerns directly to him.

Here's what was said by Graves:

He first tweeted, "Just for the record guys, I know you wouldn’t know it, but there’s actually a WWE Hall of Famer AND a former Ring of Honor Champion on commentary."

and replied to a fan saying "Far, far too many" in response to Ranallo using rap references.

https://www.wrestlingnewssource.com/new … riticizes/

Bryan Alvarez noted on his Twitter

If you somehow haven't heard, Mauro Ranallo won't be doing the show tonight as a result of Corey Graves' tweet. #SurvivorSeries

What are your thoughts? ...
Click here to reply to this topic & sign up to the WNS Forum

#2 2019-11-24 20:17:05

Jayke1981

Re: Corey Graves / Mauro Ranallo thoughts?

Mauro probably took it too personally. but that's down to his mental health issues. So things will be exacerbated. I can see Mauro probably rethinking his career in WWE, yet again. And that will be sad - because I love hearing his passion on commentary!

Let Me In

#3 2019-11-24 20:19:43

theinudemon

As someone who has dealt with bullying issues in school and deals with family sometimes being shitty toward me.... I don't blame him.  I also really like his commentary a lot more than Corey Graves.

#4 2019-11-24 20:21:28

Jayke1981

theinudemon wrote:

As someone who has dealt with bullying issues in school and deals with family sometimes being shitty toward me.... I don't blame him.  I also really like his commentary a lot more than Corey Graves.

I do too. I love how passionate he gets. and his Mama Mia exclamations!

Let Me In

#5 2019-11-24 20:24:02

Ben Kerin
Director of WNS
Website
XMPP:
(offline)

I think he's a good fit for NXT and maybe the style presented is lost on Graves. Maybe Ranallo couldn't work RAW/SMACKDOWN, I'm partly convinced that is why he is on NXT.

#6 2019-11-24 20:28:35

chris_brownuioggyubn

given that Graves has a history of talking shit both to and behind fellow announcers backs (his borderline sexual harassment of Renee Young comes to mind) its not a surprise to me in the least that Graves did this,it wouldnt surprise me in the LEAST if he was taken under the wings of JBL for this kind of behavior towards Ranaullo,Graves is a pig,and he deserves to be dealt with as such,#BeAStar my ass,like i had a friend of mine suggest to Bayley at a Survivor Series meet & greet for a new t-shirt idea, "Dont Be A Star....Be A Bitch"

#7 2019-11-24 20:29:01

Jayke1981

Ben Kerin wrote:

I think he's a good fit for NXT and maybe the style presented is lost on Graves. Maybe Ranallo couldn't work RAW/SMACKDOWN, I'm partly convinced that is why he is on NXT.

The other or main reason was the amount of travel. at least with NXT it's at Full Sail every week. (Mind you - isn't that expected to change in 2020?)

Let Me In

#8 2019-11-24 20:57:55

Tommy

Graves is a piece of shit and isn't half the commentator Mauro is.

#9 2019-11-24 21:01:04

Jragon1126

I really like Mauro, but he is being way too sensitive here. Corey's tweet wasn't that bad, it's not like he completely blasted Mauro. And besides, Mauro is a FACE commentator and Corey is HEEL commentator. Corey literally gets paid to get under people's skin as long as he doesn't violate certain boundaries that would tarnish the image of WWE. Corey didn't cross any lines, in my opinion, didn't call Mauro out of his name, didn't take any personal shots. So I don't see the big deal here

#10 2019-11-25 00:15:12

JohnnyBadd2020

Mauro is awesome on commentary. I love his references of rap lyrics it makes commentary seem hip. Graves is ok on commentary he probably had too much of Carmella’s wine last night

#11 2019-11-25 09:09:56

CamelToeClutch
Banned

Graves is a lowlife piece of shit who thinks he should be entitled to everything. Well, news flash, the only thing he's entitled to is a swift kick in the ass and a dozen German suplexes. If I were Mauro, I would ask to be released from WWE. It's obviously a toxic environment for him and he deserves so much better, not only for his career, but most importantly his mental well-being. We have already lost one too many big names due to mental illness (Ashley Massaro, Lionheart, Chester Bennington, Chris Cornell), we don't need to lose another because some asshole can't keep his mouth shut. Being someone who was bullied for having mental disabilities, I feel for the man. My opinion, he should jump ship and go hang out with Good Ol' JR and Le Champion over at AEW. Unlike WWE, AEW actually give a shit about people with disabilities, vis a vis their partnership with Kulture City. I honestly think he would feel more at home with AEW.

#12 2019-11-25 16:47:13

Zook

Can't stand Mauro. He sounds too over the top and fake. JR is going senile, but he's probably the best. I believed everything he said.

#13 2019-11-26 16:09:18

Raccoon
Website Twitter
XMPP:
raccoon@wrestlr.me XMPP XMPP
(offline)

CamelToeClutch wrote:

Graves is a lowlife piece of shit who thinks he should be entitled to everything. Well, news flash, the only thing he's entitled to is a swift kick in the ass and a dozen German suplexes.

Woah_just_take_it_easy_man.jpg

#14 2019-11-27 12:02:08

Ben Kerin
Director of WNS
Website
XMPP:
(offline)

Corey Graves Apologizes For 'Undue Stress' He Caused Mauro Ranallo
https://www.wrestlingnewssource.com/new … sed-Mauro/

Corey Graves Apologizes For 'Undue Stress' He Caused Mauro Ranallo

On the latest edition of the 'After The Bell' podcast Corey Graves apologized for comments he made toward WWE NXT announcer Mauro Ranallo ov [...]

— Ben Jordan Kerin Nov 27, 2019 11:40AM

#15 2019-12-03 08:31:44

BB94

I think only those who have suffered or are suffering from the same things that Mauro is should be the ones to judge. I think by Corey's blatant lack of compassion and verbal filter that he hasn't come face-to-face with mental illnesses. Ironically, I do think he should take a look in the mirror, and perhaps a calendar.

It's 2020 in less than a month and the world is making so many positive changes to the outlook on so many things such as race, equality, gender, religion, etc. and now advances are being made in regards to mental health. His opinions prior to this apology still stand. You can't just brush off the mental struggles of someone (especially a work colleague) as Mauro just being Mauro and think "sorry" changes that.

With the amount of community and charity work that WWE does, I'd like to think that they have a zero-tolerance policy when it comes to things of this nature - especially when your own employees are battling amongst each other in legitimate arguments on social media. A lot of them are making themselves look like imbeciles who are now going to have to work even harder to get over on TV - a big reason why people aren't getting over and stories/matches change so readily.

I'm not blind to the fact that social media has elevated WWE as a company to astronomical heights in terms of outreach, marketing, and financial success, but do we really need every single wrestler to have a personal Twitter account? There shouldn't be characterized social media in WWE because, ultimately and evidently, you're left with what you have today.

Real people having real fights over the ever-inflating egos of their scripted characters. Many times it's just a pissing contest, and I think it makes the wrestling business itself look less like "the biggest game in town" and more of a "too many cooks" situation. Vince was hemorrhaging money this year because his focus is on the XFL 2020 reboot, so he panicked, sold a tonne of his stock and is now left with 42% ownership and 83% voting power in his own company.

If there's nobody in charge to deliver proper discipline for the kind of childish, immature, uncaring and daring behaviour that Graves has displayed throughout this whole Mauro situation, how can you, as a company, expect to succeed?

Rollins is also another one who likes to flex over a keyboard. His year this year has been an absolute whirlwind, but his attitude on social media has dictated his path this year. Rumble winner, WrestleMania main event winner, and now apologizing to the roster? Had he not been insufferable all year on Twitter, I can almost guarantee that Seth would still be the most over babyface with the title he won in April.

Board footer