Ben Kerin
Director of WNS
Website
Facebook Twitter Instagram
XMPP:
XMPP XMPP
()

AEW 'Bash at the Beach' A Good Idea?

AEW is reviving the 'Bash at the Beach' title for an upcoming Dynamite in January 2020.

Here is what Eric Bischoff said:

"I have mixed emotions about it. I kind of understand it, but I also think it’s a bad choice. AEW…needs to find their own vision. They need to become their own brand. They need to become their own entity. They need to find the way that they’re really going to become the alternative. The more often they go back and kind of try to recreate the success of WCW, and align themselves with WCW’s success, I think they’re missing the mark."

I kinda agree with Eric, I guess the name might help draw a few viewers but AEW need to be careful about being seen as WCW 2.0. They need to carve out their own branding.

Thoughts?

#2 2019-11-22 17:10:15

IronFistMaiden
Supreme Leader
Website
Facebook Twitter Instagram

Re: AEW 'Bash at the Beach' A Good Idea?

It's inevitable they'll be looked at as WCW 2.0 by the negative reception I've already seen. Anybody taking a closer look will see this as a homage to Dusty, who apparently came up with the idea of this PPV. Expect nothing less from Cody. It's not like WWE is standing on high ground using WCW PPV names just because they bought them. They're originally from WCW no matter how you slice it. The actual fans won't give too many shits and the negative side will nitpick anything possible. I've seen some rather impossible people lately on the AEW topic. If it doesn't have the little WWE logo in the corner of the screen they just don't care. There is a certain portion of the wrestling crowd that is unwilling to settle in with names they don't know, even scoff and mock the idea of doing so. I suspect TNA/Impact has suffered similar pitfalls. That same portion of the crowd scoffs at using ex-WWE, ex-WCW (TNA days) wrestlers and just plow over the idea that it's good to use legends because the logo in the corner of the screen simply isn't what they're willing to take in.

Baffling to me people champion large controlling corporations that water down their products, dumb down and filter your intake and hurt smaller industry. WWE didn't go to UK because of the fans, they saw money. They didn't try to buy up some Japanese wrestling cuz of the fans, they saw money. If Australia pulls up on the steering wheel you'll no doubt see a residence of a WWE AU product... so on and so forth. They'll zap whatever corner of the world has a building indy presence in the name of capitalism. They aren't afraid to kill the entire industry in the name of WWE being the only flag in the air in the name of sports entertainment. It's "just business".

I'm like a Vegeta but trying real hard to be like a Goku.
Join the WNS Discord https://discord.gg/GTUc4db <-- Invite

#3 2019-11-24 01:17:56

RyanP

Ben Kerin wrote:

AEW is reviving the 'Bash at the Beach' title for an upcoming Dynamite in January 2020.

Here is what Eric Bischoff said:

"I have mixed emotions about it. I kind of understand it, but I also think it’s a bad choice. AEW…needs to find their own vision. They need to become their own brand. They need to become their own entity. They need to find the way that they’re really going to become the alternative. The more often they go back and kind of try to recreate the success of WCW, and align themselves with WCW’s success, I think they’re missing the mark."

I kinda agree with Eric, I guess the name might help draw a few viewers but AEW need to be careful about being seen as WCW 2.0. They need to carve out their own branding.

Thoughts?

I agree with Eric as well. While it’s all well and good to pay tribute to some WCW classics you don’t want to go too far down that rabbit hole and start looking like WCW 2.0. AEW needs to focus on building THEIR brand not WCW 2.0. I also find your comment about drawing in a few viewers interesting as well considering those viewers would most likely be the casual fans. The same casual fans I might add that Cody said he didn’t care about appealing to. Overall I think paying homage to WCW with a few events is one thing but if they go more than that then I think it’s going too far.

#4 2019-11-25 19:39:24

HC13 Aries Styles

One thing to consider Cody is Dusty son, and like wise for Dustin he is also Dusty son...  They will go after past ideas of their dad, be it PPV names, event names, touring, booking and try to recreate it...
With that I don't really care what Eric Bishoff  thinks, but he have a right to think what he does, as does everyone else who comments..  I mean WWE have try to use the Great American Bash, Starrcade, and War Games and haven't been as successful as WCW/NWA was with such events...

#5 2019-12-05 08:22:24

GoodOldPapa

HC13 Aries Styles wrote:

One thing to consider Cody is Dusty son, and like wise for Dustin he is also Dusty son...  They will go after past ideas of their dad, be it PPV names, event names, touring, booking and try to recreate it...
With that I don't really care what Eric Bishoff  thinks, but he have a right to think what he does, as does everyone else who comments..  I mean WWE have try to use the Great American Bash, Starrcade, and War Games and haven't been as successful as WCW/NWA was with such events...

Sometimes it feels as though Vince doesn't really care about the success of the past WCW PPV's, as they weren't his original creations or ideas.  That being said, Im willing to give AEW a chance on it, as long as its  blend of old and new, and not trying to hang on the past.  With Cody and Dustin involved, hopefully these events will be true to the intentions that their Dad intended for them.

Board footer