Ben Kerin
Director of WNS
Website
Facebook Twitter Instagram
XMPP:
XMPP XMPP
()

Do you find Jim Cornette offensive?

It looks like Jim Cornette is in trouble again for comments he made on NWA Powerrr #7 in which he said:

"Trevor Murdoch knows how to survive! He's the only man that I've ever known that can strap a bucket of fried chicken on his back and ride a motor scooter across Ethiopia!"

It's not the first time he has been in trouble recently.
https://www.wrestlingnewssource.com/new … People-To/

Do you think Cornette will survive as an NWA commentator?
Do you find him offensive?

#2 2019-11-19 20:53:53

thedudenin

Re: Do you find Jim Cornette offensive?

I do NOT find Jim Cornette's JOKE offensive AT ALL. Look, the guy makes jokes about everyone and this is WRESTLING!!! When will this panty waste BULLSHIT end??? He told a joke that has been used many many times!!! The joke is actually STALE! Is the show LIVE??? Stop with the CRAP. Stop catering to FN PUSSIES. Let fat ass Cornette run wild! Nobody is doing it better! I am more offended by those Gawd awful tights they let that gay ass pirate wear!!!

Last edited by thedudenin (2019-11-19 20:54:58)

#3 2019-11-19 21:40:22

RyanP

thedudenin wrote:

I do NOT find Jim Cornette's JOKE offensive AT ALL. Look, the guy makes jokes about everyone and this is WRESTLING!!! When will this panty waste BULLSHIT end??? He told a joke that has been used many many times!!! The joke is actually STALE! Is the show LIVE??? Stop with the CRAP. Stop catering to FN PUSSIES. Let fat ass Cornette run wild! Nobody is doing it better! I am more offended by those Gawd awful tights they let that gay ass pirate wear!!!

Your right that joke has been used many many times IN THE 70’s and ‘80s. This is 2019 and whether you like it or not society has changed and things that were funny at one point in time are considered incredibly offensive by today’s society. I find Cornette’s humor to be offensive and out of touch with today’s society.

#4 2019-11-19 22:05:23

Tommy

People need to just stop being pussies. EVERYTHING is labeled as offensive these days.

#5 2019-11-19 22:19:46

RyanP

Tommy wrote:

People need to just stop being pussies. EVERYTHING is labeled as offensive these days.

Your not wrong. I live in Iowa and right now there is a school teacher on administrative leave because she used the n-word as part of a teaching lesson and everyone is calling it racism and the students walked out of class today. My point with that story is that you can’t even use derogatory language in a teaching lesson without people being offended. I don’t like Cornette and I do find his humor to be on the offensive side but I see your point about everything labeled as offensive.

#6 2019-11-20 04:15:15

Jayke1981

Sometimes I find that Jim oversteps the mark. I like the guy's opinions - he just needs to use better language. I'd tell him that - but he blocked me last month! lol

Let Me In

#7 2019-11-20 08:26:28

JohnnyBadd2020

No offense wrestling is supposed to be offensive n stereotypical. I don’t think Cornette offended any Ethiopians with his comment. NWA needs to edit their content better to appease the woke culture vultures

#8 2019-11-20 10:14:17

Ben Kerin
Director of WNS
Website
XMPP:
XMPP XMPP
()

As expected....

Jim Cornette Has Resigned From The National Wrestling Alliance

NWA issued the following statement:

"Effective immediately: Jim Cornette has resigned from the National Wrestling Alliance. As an announc [...]

— Ben Jordan Kerin Nov 20, 2019 10:12AM

#9 2019-11-20 11:51:37

BoomerJoe

Heels in wrestling are supposed to offend you. If they aren’t then they aren’t doing their job.

#10 2019-11-20 13:31:13

Jayke1981

BoomerJoe wrote:

Heels in wrestling are supposed to offend you. If they aren’t then they aren’t doing their job.

But there is a way to be offensive without being racist or using racial overtones. And seeing that he used that line before, both in the 80s and in the 90s - he really needs to change his material!

Let Me In

#11 2019-11-20 13:41:50

Ahole

i don't even think it was the 1st time he had dropped the line before

are we sposed to be offended due to the people of Ethiopia being black or because of the starvation going on there...and should we be more offended that people are starving than over what a wrestling commentator has to say

To be the Ahole you gotta beat the Ahole

#12 2019-11-20 16:38:16

Tommy

BoomerJoe wrote:

Right but they can't anymore with how fragile minded people are. Part of why theres no such thing as a heel and babyface these days in wrestling.

#13 2019-11-21 12:32:26

theinudemon

Didn't comedy shows used to always make fun of Ethiopian kids and Ethiopia in general?  I feel like heels are supposed to be offensive and make you mad.

#14 2019-11-22 13:51:56

JohnnyBadd2020

Whether used the line in the 80’s and 90’s it’s still funny as hell

#15 2019-11-22 17:21:36

Ben Kerin
Director of WNS
Website
XMPP:
XMPP XMPP
()

Some recent comments from Jim Cornette on the joke

“It’s a starvation joke, not a race joke,” he continued. “Whether it’s a good joke or a bad joke, it was a joke that has been told on TBS, USA Network, broadcast television stations across America over a variety of locations for the past 30 years.”

“If when I had said it, the producer – one of whom is Dave Lagana, but there’s a variety of people that can talk to us on our headsets – had said, ‘Awww, Jim. Don’t say that.’ ‘Ok, sorry,'” Cornette states. “If after the show, well we’re gonna have to take out that one joke out, ‘Ok, fine, sorry to make you have extra work.’ If anybody called me up and said, ‘Jim, you told that joke you’ve told a bunch of times, well that’s racist.’ ‘Ok, I didn’t know that.’ Cause I was thinking it was f*cking funny cause the people in Ethiopia were hungry.”

“I’m not that sorry, cause it was a joke. And if you don’t like the joke, that’s fine, and I’d even apologize for a bad joke. But this goddamn feedback was above and beyond the offense. And I didn’t mean it in any racist way, for f*cks sake. I think the people that took it instantly as racist think that must be the only thing on people’s minds when they think of black people and chicken. Which, that’s a whole nother issue that you’ve got. Cause I’m going for Starvin Marvin.”

#16 2019-11-23 12:29:32

IronFistMaiden
Supreme Leader
Website

Jim Cornette the character, the on-screen personality, imo, hates everybody except the guys he's backing at the moment. What he thinks in real life, is up for anybody's guess or you can listen to a few shoots and take from that if you like. In one shoot New Jack calls him racist, in another he shows up mid-shoot with Jim at his house all "hey buddy" with him.. typical New Jack and all, and well known for working his interviews meant to be shoots trying to keep the New Jack flavour alive. The joke itself, I think a little context could've been observed. A little twisting of the actual context was made to bend how awful the joke COULD have been rather than how awful the joke was INTENDED to be. Jim brings up a great point about the whole matter: they had time to edit it. Exhaustion, I can relate to, but even after being awake working on WNS for 72 hours straight, I make very seldom mistakes and I doubt a turdburger like racist shit escapes my radar when taking more time out of my day moderating jerks on the site when seen. Dave is covering his own ass. NWA without Jim is probably now going forward going to hinder the product. Old guy or not you will not find that "Cornette style" in anybody else and it might dull the overall brand in that regard. People make a lot of excuses for why something is OK for South Park and not the particular outrage culture's new target. In context, with intent, I don't think Jim was going for racism and he likely was going for exactly what he said, which pre-dates Starving Marvin. It's easy to be offended when you take in the spin of a situation and context goes right out the window. People may have made connections to HOW it COULD be racist, but in context it's no worse than any joke that's dark in nature and I'm honestly not a fan of shelving dark humour because of the colour of the person's skin saying it. I'd rather stomp out racism where it really exists, and I don't think comedy is the ripe target we're looking for or need to be going after. Discrimination is still real w/ employment, housing and society itself, putting the big guns on comedy is just wasting our time. I don't think this situation was as plain as day as some made it out to be. Drawing conclusions is easy but putting it in the correct context seems to escape people these days to the point where context is not a factor.

I'm like a Vegeta but trying real hard to be like a Goku.
Join the WNS Discord https://discord.gg/GTUc4db <-- Invite

Board footer