You are not logged in.

#1 2022-04-14 14:58:04

RyanP

Warnermedia/Discovery merger and it’s potential affects on AEW

I’ve seen and read several articles on the merger of warnermedia(TNT/TBS) home of AEW programming with Discovery and how it could affect AEW’s programming and future tv deal. From what I’ve read there are new people in charge of the company that are and I quote “going to take a scalpel to the new company’s budget” which could possibly affect a new tv deal for AEW in 2023. What AEW gets for a tv deal will also have an affect on their ability to sign or re-sign big name free agents. I’ve also seen that if they do get a new tv deal with the new company that they might be forced to go to a PG product because Discovery isn’t quite comfortable with the blood/swearing. A lot of this info came from an article from Meltzer who normally I would say is crazy but since he is for all intensive purposes on the AEW payroll I believe a lot of his AEW news reports l. Let me make myself crystal clear here I’m not bringing all of this up because I want to see AEW fail but because this situation has the potential to be a major issue for Tony Khan to deal with. What are y’all’s thoughts on this ?

Last edited by RyanP (2022-04-14 15:09:16)

#2 2022-04-15 16:52:53

Y2JFanatic

Re: Warnermedia/Discovery merger and it’s potential affects on AEW

This is just another sign that AEW could be on it's way to HBO Max. AEW gets it's own platform on HBO MAX just like WWE has their own on Peacock.

#3 2022-04-15 19:15:24

RyanP

Y2JFanatic wrote:

This is just another sign that AEW could be on it's way to HBO Max. AEW gets it's own platform on HBO MAX just like WWE has their own on Peacock.

HBO max could be an option but one way or the other Khan needs to get a streaming deal figured out before he starts trying to negotiate his next TV deal because if the new company decides to cut ties with AEW after their contract is up and he doesn’t have a streaming deal then where does that leave AEW programming at?

#4 2022-04-18 17:37:06

Blazaholic

Kind of ironic if it comes full circle, similar to what happened to WCW when AOL purchased Time Warner. The good news is Tony Khan's money isn't tied up in the television industry. Losing the TV deal would be a heavy blow, considering how much they played off the history TNT had with wrestling at the beginning, and giving off a lot of early WCW vibes upon AEW's inception. Not to mention having two titles named after both networks.

If I were to guess, I see Warner Bros. Discovery working a deal to keep AEW. Wrestling ratings aren't what they used to be, but it's still an impressive numbers compared to whatever else they might air in it's place. AEW on HBO Max could be huge for both parties too. AEW getting another way to get their product out there, and HBO Max having yet another staple to add to their lineup to get more subscribers. HBO is still a subsiderary of Warnermedia Discovery, and AT&T has a 71% stake in Warnermedia Discovery, with Discovery owning 29%, so AT&T would definitely have more of a say when it comes to contract negotiations.

Only time will tell, but I think this merger is closer to good news for AEW than it is bad news.

#5 2022-04-18 18:35:53

RyanP

Blazaholic wrote:

Kind of ironic if it comes full circle, similar to what happened to WCW when AOL purchased Time Warner. The good news is Tony Khan's money isn't tied up in the television industry. Losing the TV deal would be a heavy blow, considering how much they played off the history TNT had with wrestling at the beginning, and giving off a lot of early WCW vibes upon AEW's inception. Not to mention having two titles named after both networks.

If I were to guess, I see Warner Bros. Discovery working a deal to keep AEW. Wrestling ratings aren't what they used to be, but it's still an impressive numbers compared to whatever else they might air in it's place. AEW on HBO Max could be huge for both parties too. AEW getting another way to get their product out there, and HBO Max having yet another staple to add to their lineup to get more subscribers. HBO is still a subsiderary of Warnermedia Discovery, and AT&T has a 71% stake in Warnermedia Discovery, with Discovery owning 29%, so AT&T would definitely have more of a say when it comes to contract negotiations.

Only time will tell, but I think this merger is closer to good news for AEW than it is bad news.

It could be good news but the issue is going to be if the new company wants AEW back are they going to make them change their product to a more pg version. I think if the new company does bring them back they are going to want Khan to change his product to draw in more viewers instead of pandering to a small portion of the wrestling fanbase as a whole. Bottom line is this potential new tv deal is going to be a major test of Khan’s negotiation skills with a lot at stake.

Board footer