You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-08 11:50:33

RyanP

AEW fans-Passionate or Hypocrites?

This is a subject that I’m very curious what other people’s thoughts are on it. I’m of the opinion that wrestling fans are some of the biggest hypocrites and while that statement can be applied to both WWE and AEW fans my focus on this post is going to be on the hypocrisy of AEW fans. I’ll give you some examples. WWE had Seth defended his Universal title right before his scheduled match with Bray Wyatt and the fans criticized WWE for it but AEW did the same when they had Jericho defend his title on Dynamite after already announcing his next title defense against Cody and the fans didn’t seem to have a problem with it. Another example is viewership ratings. AEW fans criticize WWE fans for using sporting events to justify low ratings for Raw/SD/NXT and then what do they do they do the same thing using sporting events to justify AEW’s low viewership rating. Another example is Jericho as world champ. Jericho is a legend and one of the all time greats but he is also getting up there in age and putting the world title on him instead of one the younger talents is exactly what AEW fans criticize WWE for doing when they put the world title on Brock instead of one their younger stars. Another example is Cody. Cody is a VP in the company and already has a world title match. If this was WWE and Triple H was getting a world title match over younger talent the fans would crucify WWE for doing that but they don’t seem to have a problem with AEW doing it. Bottom line is that it seems to me that a good portion of AEW fans are hypocrites that either can’t or won’t admit that they are hypocrites. There are some AEW fans that are passionate fans that will call AEW out on their mistakes and praise them for their good decisions. So what do y’all think. AEW fans-Hypocrites or passionate?

Last edited by RyanP (2019-11-08 11:51:21)

#2 2019-11-08 14:09:59

Tommy

Re: AEW fans-Passionate or Hypocrites?

I think it's 75/25 with 75 percent being hypocrites. I respect the ones who are fair and will speak for and against the company they like kind of how I am towards WWE. It's the ones that defend every little thing they do and feel they have the most perfect product that drives me nuts. They are so quick to criticize a wwe ratings drop but justify a AEW ratings drop. Also get critical of WWE utilizing legends yet mark out when they bring in DDP, Rock N Roll express and Virgil. I watch both products and find positives and negatives with both but others will act like AEW can do no wrong.

#3 2019-11-08 14:33:07

RyanP

Tommy wrote:

I think it's 75/25 with 75 percent being hypocrites. I respect the ones who are fair and will speak for and against the company they like kind of how I am towards WWE. It's the ones that defend every little thing they do and feel they have the most perfect product that drives me nuts. They are so quick to criticize a wwe ratings drop but justify a AEW ratings drop. Also get critical of WWE utilizing legends yet mark out when they bring in DDP, Rock N Roll express and Virgil. I watch both products and find positives and negatives with both but others will act like AEW can do no wrong.

Others will act like AEW can do no wrong. The irony in that statement is that the fans that are acting like AEW can do no wrong are the same fans that criticize WWE fans for blindly following WWE and believing WWE can do no wrong. I believe both companies have there positives and negatives. I honestly don’t even have a problem with them being hypocrites. It’s the fact that they lack the balls to admit they’re hypocrites that is more annoying than the hypocrisy itself in my opinion.

Last edited by RyanP (2019-11-08 14:33:46)

#4 2019-11-08 15:25:46

IronFistMaiden
Supreme Leader
Website
Facebook Twitter Instagram

AEW has made some great strides in a handful of weeks on Television. What you call "do no wrong" is to some, the first interesting thing they've seen in a long time. It's no easy feat to have a large majority of a roster be unknown to people who didn't follow the indy feds, NJPW, etc and to get some momentum behind those names and it seems AEW is doing just that in a variety of names, Darby Allin, Orange Cassidy and Riho to name a few. AEW and Jericho as champion isn't the same as if WWE would if they put a "Dinosaur" over as champ, this isn't like Goldberg beating Lesnar in a squash. This is a move an establishing brand does, younger talent gets a hand up from legends and not long ago the same "WWE fans" were just calling him the Greatest Of All Time and now it's somehow a stumped and stupefied conclusion to put the belt on him when what you're getting is _exactly_ how it should be going in regards to a first champion. What you call AEW fans is former WWE fans, some how that escapes you. They didn't form out of thin air with short opinions on how bad WWE has been. It's barely hypocritical to be tired of the years of forced Vince puppets being "the man" while guys like Ziggler who had it in him likely to be the Shawn Michaels of a time that went by him and Cesaro which has been touted as being a fan fav that never gets his spotlight. The Nexus which got two chances only to be killed off for the highest merch sales earner... the list goes on. What DOES get a chance is not what the demographic AEW is pulling in WANTED which is LARGELY an over 18 crowd and those who habit watched until they were given solutions to fill their week differently in other wrestling they can get behind. Hardly hypocritical to look at the two companies in different fashion as the only good comparison is that they are both "pro wrestling", but don't tell Vince that. AEW is bringing intensity, violence, TV-14, into the wrestling world. The formula former WWE fans have wanted for a LONG time. Instead, WWE is putting on a puppet show. Like it or not, violence is what is expected of this sport, not blood capsules. Wrestling should be darker, evil, foul mouthed, violent, chaotic, out of line, boundary pushing. That was THE ONLY TIME pro wrestling ever pulled ratings and if a few weeks of ratings is all you have to stand on to be AGAINST AEW then wait until their brand awareness goes on. WWE has been living on it. We hardly have the sample size required for any data to be taken into serious account at this point for AEW. For WWE we have oodles.

I'm like a Vegeta but trying real hard to be like a Goku.
Join the WNS Discord https://discord.gg/GTUc4db <-- Invite

#5 2019-11-08 22:46:35

Majin Tween
WNS Secretary
Website Twitter
XMPP:
XMPP XMPP
()

AEW has certainly done some things I don't agree with, but I definitely enjoy far more of their shows than WWE. Especially these last two weeks or so.

No company is perfect or going to make 100% good decisions. You just gotta navigate towards which ones hit the notes you prefer.

#6 2019-11-09 00:11:39

Tommy

Raccoon wrote:

AEW has certainly done some things I don't agree with, but I definitely enjoy far more of their shows than WWE. Especially these last two weeks or so.

No company is perfect or going to make 100% good decisions. You just gotta navigate towards which ones hit the notes you prefer.

Right they have done things that haven't been good but the problem is if you call it out you're labeled a hater and WWE mark. That's where the AEW fans come off as hypocrites, they will point out every flaw they have with WWE but the moment someone speaks negatively they jump down your throat. You get labeled a hater, WWE mark, told dont watch, etc. It's okay for them to point out negative aspects of WWE but act like it's against the law to speak out on what they prefer the most. Just hypocrisy from them.

#7 2019-11-09 07:16:31

IronFistMaiden
Supreme Leader
Website

Tommy wrote:

It's okay for them to point out negative aspects of WWE but act like it's against the law to speak out on what they prefer the most. Just hypocrisy from them.

Yet still, you guys weigh AEW the same as you do WWE and call it hypocrisy like AEW has even had a running start so far. I dunno how you exist like this, just blind, that a history from a single company, over a decade+ can put a sour taste in people's mouths vs. a new, vibrant and fresh feeling people are getting out of a company doing the opposite not quite souring people even if not perfect. Constantly whining what's perfect and not perfect, think you're on the right side of calling people out when your comparison is honestly apples and oranges when it comes to each product's criticism. AEW has the smallest sample to take from, all people see is new, fresh, different than WWE, more volatile, violent, in their face, what they wanted. They're not ready to forfeit to your "idea" that these things should be compared equally, and they shouldn't. AEW hasn't fucked them in the ass with the same formulaic bullshit for over a decade. This isn't Coke vs. Pepsi, each with it's respective lineage, this is like Coke vs. if some new company popped up and had barely had a taste test but they were both cola products except there is more to consider than just taste in this case. Everybody on the AEW side, criticizing WWE already had that flavour, spit it out and they're done, it was fed to them for years. They've obtained full consideration of it's body and contents and see no sign of change in spite of being critical BEFORE AEW popped up, years of complaining, boo'ing. AEW has none of this. I honestly have NO CLUE how you can see these situations as similar or hypocritical. It's simply NOT the same. AEW will require many more missteps before perception can be compared like you're doing.

#8 2019-11-09 08:42:37

outsiderkidx

IronFistMaiden wrote:
Tommy wrote:

It's okay for them to point out negative aspects of WWE but act like it's against the law to speak out on what they prefer the most. Just hypocrisy from them.

Yet still, you guys weigh AEW the same as you do WWE and call it hypocrisy like AEW has even had a running start so far. I dunno how you exist like this, just blind, that a history from a single company, over a decade+ can put a sour taste in people's mouths vs. a new, vibrant and fresh feeling people are getting out of a company doing the opposite not quite souring people even if not perfect. Constantly whining what's perfect and not perfect, think you're on the right side of calling people out when your comparison is honestly apples and oranges when it comes to each product's criticism. AEW has the smallest sample to take from, all people see is new, fresh, different than WWE, more volatile, violent, in their face, what they wanted. They're not ready to forfeit to your "idea" that these things should be compared equally, and they shouldn't. AEW hasn't fucked them in the ass with the same formulaic bullshit for over a decade. This isn't Coke vs. Pepsi, each with it's respective lineage, this is like Coke vs. if some new company popped up and had barely had a taste test but they were both cola products except there is more to consider than just taste in this case. Everybody on the AEW side, criticizing WWE already had that flavour, spit it out and they're done, it was fed to them for years. They've obtained full consideration of it's body and contents and see no sign of change in spite of being critical BEFORE AEW popped up, years of complaining, boo'ing. AEW has none of this. I honestly have NO CLUE how you can see these situations as similar or hypocritical. It's simply NOT the same. AEW will require many more missteps before perception can be compared like you're doing.

I agree. I believe AEW definitely has made some mistakes but it's the positives that have out beaten the negatives. The stuff he was comparing about Jericho becoming champion and defending his championship before Full Gear is ridiculous. Really not the same thing. Jericho defended his championship a month before Full Gear not the night before the PPV like Seth. And also Jericho becoming the champion is good for AEW because their goal is to bring back lapsed fans and brand new fans that weren't wrestling fans. How do you do that? By putting the championship on a guy that casuals most likely would know. If they put the championship on Hangman Page or Omega, it would've been a bad move and I guarantee you they probably wouldn't had gotten that 1.2 rating on their first week of TV. WWE has put their championship on Lesnar, a guy that they keep going back to over and over again. It's the same thing they did with Cena which is what got me to stop watching. WWE has had way more years than AEW just like you said and they had plenty of opportunities to put the championship on someone else but they didn't and should've built up other stars. AEW is doing that and its not to the point where the older guys are taking shine from the younger wrestlers that not only WWE made a mistake on but also WCW and TNA. I personally am in the same boat and don't get the whole "hypocrisy" thing that some of these fans are claiming AEW fans are doing.

#9 2019-11-09 16:51:36

SirEdger

Every promotion's fanbase has its share of hypocrites within and AEW is no different. However, I tend to think that some people can't accept that while AEW isn't perfect by any means, they're still positioning themselves already as a viable alternative to WWE. Which is why it makes me cringe that people will scour the web to find anything that can discredit AEW to prove their point. Only thing it proves is that those people are even more hypocrites than those they call hypocrites.

#10 2019-11-10 00:59:07

DraztikMindz

Regardless you should take each fams reaction with a grain of salt. I say that because it will always be different.  With the internet being as available as it is, many voices are being heard.  It's a shame most voices are only following trend, but they are voices regardless.  My biggest advice would be not to worry about passion vs hippocrates.  If you enjoy something enjoy it. Thats the best part about being a wrestling fan

#11 2019-11-10 07:24:58

MartinOK

I havnt read this much nonsense in 2019 but it was bound to happend. All these WWE fanboys are always looking a way to run down AEW and they have absolutly nothing to do it with. Now... Lets pick this appart.

1: This kinda things happend all the time. People have titledefences before a ppv.  Looong before AEW, so calm down.

2: WWE was criticized for This long before AEW was a thing. This isnt AEW related. Stop making excuses

3:  Jericho needed to be the World champ. AEW is new to the scene and you cant have an unknown wrestler as a champion before the company is to and Running Well. You Wanna Compare this to Brock? Thats a JOKE! People are unhappy with Brock for other reasons and if you dont know which, you need toppen your eyes.

4: AEW needs a seeing main event and we all knew that Cody wouldnt din as he shouldnt, but had this been WWE... HHH would have sin the title, just Because of his huge ego. If you cant See that. Then it's on you

You are the hypocrite here dude. Any excuses to run down a New company that does what they have to do to get noticed. You need to learn Something About business man.

Im a wrestling fan. I See Where both brands can do better, but i watch and i fucking enjoy!

RyanP wrote:

This is a subject that I’m very curious what other people’s thoughts are on it. I’m of the opinion that wrestling fans are some of the biggest hypocrites and while that statement can be applied to both WWE and AEW fans my focus on this post is going to be on the hypocrisy of AEW fans. I’ll give you some examples. WWE had Seth defended his Universal title right before his scheduled match with Bray Wyatt and the fans criticized WWE for it but AEW did the same when they had Jericho defend his title on Dynamite after already announcing his next title defense against Cody and the fans didn’t seem to have a problem with it. Another example is viewership ratings. AEW fans criticize WWE fans for using sporting events to justify low ratings for Raw/SD/NXT and then what do they do they do the same thing using sporting events to justify AEW’s low viewership rating. Another example is Jericho as world champ. Jericho is a legend and one of the all time greats but he is also getting up there in age and putting the world title on him instead of one the younger talents is exactly what AEW fans criticize WWE for doing when they put the world title on Brock instead of one their younger stars. Another example is Cody. Cody is a VP in the company and already has a world title match. If this was WWE and Triple H was getting a world title match over younger talent the fans would crucify WWE for doing that but they don’t seem to have a problem with AEW doing it. Bottom line is that it seems to me that a good portion of AEW fans are hypocrites that either can’t or won’t admit that they are hypocrites. There are some AEW fans that are passionate fans that will call AEW out on their mistakes and praise them for their good decisions. So what do y’all think. AEW fans-Hypocrites or passionate?

#12 2019-11-10 12:32:01

Tommy

MartinOK wrote:

I havnt read this much nonsense in 2019 but it was bound to happend. All these WWE fanboys are always looking a way to run down AEW and they have absolutly nothing to do it with. Now... Lets pick this appart.

1: This kinda things happend all the time. People have titledefences before a ppv.  Looong before AEW, so calm down.

2: WWE was criticized for This long before AEW was a thing. This isnt AEW related. Stop making excuses

3:  Jericho needed to be the World champ. AEW is new to the scene and you cant have an unknown wrestler as a champion before the company is to and Running Well. You Wanna Compare this to Brock? Thats a JOKE! People are unhappy with Brock for other reasons and if you dont know which, you need toppen your eyes.

4: AEW needs a seeing main event and we all knew that Cody wouldnt din as he shouldnt, but had this been WWE... HHH would have sin the title, just Because of his huge ego. If you cant See that. Then it's on you

You are the hypocrite here dude. Any excuses to run down a New company that does what they have to do to get noticed. You need to learn Something About business man.

Im a wrestling fan. I See Where both brands can do better, but i watch and i fucking enjoy!

RyanP wrote:

The point you're missing is when WWE booked Rollins to defend the Universal title before HIAC everyone in the comments section was all over WWE calling them predictable, bad creative, pointless to watch, etc. However when AEW booked Jericho vs Allin everyone was like hell yeah, great match, Allin for world champion all while knowing Jericho vs. Cody is booked for Full Gear. That's hypocrisy at its finest.

#13 2019-11-22 17:13:36

Dojj

I ain't got time to read all the words here
It's a work
By getting each others fans defending their product you get a bigger cross pollination of viewers and the social media interaction is greater and drives on the numbers
It's text book promotion 101

I drive buses!

#14 2019-11-23 12:47:33

IronFistMaiden
Supreme Leader
Website

Dojj wrote:

It's text book promotion 101

Def a point I've brought up before but some people only want to follow what they believe rather than how or what the situation actually is or should be. These are indeed, classic tactics done by numerous companies, even WWE themselves. Two big examples, Coke vs. Pepsi, Mac vs. PC with it's "Hi, I'm a Mac and I'm a PC" campaign. Companies throw barbs all the time to build this brand loyalty among people and the two examples given are certainly a matter of preference but people defend them as a "which is better" fact, much like AEW and WWE.

#15 2020-02-28 22:23:04

Tommy

Found a new one! WWE lacks ticket sales and they're a sinking ship. AEW lacks ticket sales and it's excuse after excuse.

Board footer